This week's Movie review......

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

rahau
Even Stranger

Postby rahau » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:00 am

I just bought a DVD of "I Am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang" as a birthday present for my nephew. If you haven't seen this film, do yourself a BIG favor and rent it soon. It was years ahead of its time, in many ways. The beginning is a little slow, but once it gets going, it never lets up. The two chase scenes have been imitated to a fare-thee-well (the first one in 1994's "The Fugitive"). It was one of the first "social conscience" films, but never wallowed in preachiness. And that ending! Whew, it's just unforgettable.

Hard to believe it was made in 1932. It really holds up well. No contemporary filmmaker, mainstream or independent, could do better.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:53 am

Sounds sort of like that movie with Sidney Portier and Tony Curtis called "The Defiant Ones" about two men who escape a chain gang shackled together. It is a pretty good movie from the late 50's I think.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

wolding
Warm Stranger

Jeon Ji Hyun

Postby wolding » Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:44 pm

So, I went looking for "My Sassy Girl" in a few local Korean stores last week. Couldn't find it myself and the store owners hadn't heard of the title. But last night one of them suggested a movie that had Jeon Ji Hyun in it. The title was 엽기적인 그녀. (I hope that prints correctly). The owner of the store couldn't translate 엽기적인, so I left it there. When I got home I looked on Darcy's movie page( http://koreanfilm.org/index.html ) to see if "My Sassy Girl" had a Korean title. Guess what!? The titles are the same! For sure, I'll be going back to that store to rent the movie.

ben
Getting Stranger

Postby ben » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:26 am

@wolding,

"My Sassy Girl" is also known as "Yupki Girl", and here are some of the CD/DVD covers it comes with.

If you enjoyed it, you'd probably like to give Windstruck (a.k.a. My Sassy Girl 2) a try.

Hmmm, I posted links of results but the site keeps sending me back to search option. Just use the titles in the search box to see the different covers.
Click here
Always look on the bright side of life.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:03 am

Watched Bill Murray in Broken Flowers. It is about an aging ladies man who seeks out old girlfriends from twenty years past to discover which one sent him a mysterious note indicating he has a son.....

The movie is beyond weird, has a few funny moments, mainly supplied by supporting actor Jeffrey Wright (if I remember his name correctly) who plays Murray's next door neighbor and amateur sleuth. There is no resolution in this film and it has a very depressing edge to it. I came away unsatisfied with the whole thing.

Watched a movie called The Contender starring an actress named Joan Allen on DVD. Now that was suprisingly good, well written, and keeps you pretty interested with all the suprise twists and turns. It is a political thriller I guess you would call it.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

ben
Getting Stranger

Postby ben » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:45 am

Does anybody ever seen or heard of an old movie called "I" for Icarus? It's a mid 70's film about an investigator (or a gov't. security officer) in charge of solving the assassination of a certain political leader. It has a great twist and best of all, the twist was actually revealed in the final seconds! If any of you stumbled upon it in the net, do let me know. I was too young to remember who starred in that movie, am not even sure if it's American or European.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:15 am

I can't wait to see Memoirs of a Geisha. I just watched the trailer at the official Japanese website and it truly looks like it will be a great movie.
Zhang Ziyi, Gong Li, and Michelle Yeoh, and Ken Watanabe all star in it.
Check out the movie trailer at this link. Excellent cinematography.

http://www.movies.co.jp/sayuri/

wolding
Warm Stranger

Postby wolding » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:16 am

Hey Ben,
I enjoyed Yupki Girl very much! 엽기적인 그녀 가 아주 좋아헸어요!
Unfortunately, I don't understand Korean well enough and I had to ask my wife about events in the second half. Now I know the old man's story, why she yelled "I'm sorry" to her poor boyfriend on the next hill, and what the notes in the egg were really about.

I don't think I'll be renting Windstruck, though.

This is the second Korean movie in a row that I've seen and felt sorry for the guy because of the way the girl treats him. At least in Yupki girl they end up together. In One Fine Spring Day (봄날은간다) the guy isn't so lucky and he tears himself up because of it.

Guess I identify too much with guys who get rejected.......

ben
Getting Stranger

Postby ben » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:23 am

@wolding, didn't your copy came with English subtitles? But am glad you enjoyed "My Sassy Girl (Yupki Girl)".

And there are no rejections in Windstruck. But it's an emotional roller-coaster ride. It can get mushy too. :lol:

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:54 am

Guess I identify too much with guys who get rejected.......

Don't feel bad Wolding. I just got the lastest review of my movie script. It was a short and simple rejection.

Your movie script stunk! Sincerely your ex-mother!!!

Now that's disturbing..... :lol:

ben
Getting Stranger

Postby ben » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:52 am

@Ang Mo, look on the bright side... at least she's not your mother anymore. :D

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:50 am

........I could be living in New Orleans also. I will just have to try that much harder on the next draft.

rahau
Even Stranger

Postby rahau » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:30 am

Dear Chairman Mo:

Thank you for your recent post regarding your latest rejection slip. While it was quite humorous, it unfortunately does not fit our needs at the present time. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to consider it.

Sincerely,

The Editors

:wink:

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:18 pm

I'm with you there, Rahau! After getting too many job rejections, I wanted
so badly to start sending out this:

Dear X,

Than you for your recent job anouncement. Unfortunately, there were many
good job postings and I was unable to select yours for application. Thank
you very much for your effort and best of luck in filling your position.

Sincerely,

Scot

ps - OK! I'm heading to the beach shortly - withouth the laptop! :>
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

ben
Getting Stranger

Postby ben » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:27 am

And talking about rejections... I just saw Wong Kar-Wai's 2046. It's just full of it. She loves him, but he loves someone else, but his love loves someone else, he used to love someone else but that someone is attached, then he loved another only to realize later that it was someone else he loves. There's just too many sad turn of events, except one, but "he" couldn't come express it in a happy way. Definitely not for wolding. :D The film, however, is a very good one. I'm thinking that it's "In the Mood for Love:Part 2", although I haven't seen ITML (also by Wong Kar-Wai and stars Tony Leung and Maggie Chung).

The film stars Tony Leung, Maggie Cheung, Gong Li, Zhang Ziyi, Faye Wong. These are all big names in China and Hong-Kong cinema. Some of them have already won international awards. I loved this movie... despite the sad atmosphere.

For synopsis, trailer and more info... here's the official site. 2046

Return to “The Cafe”