21+ club booking and exclusion of fans

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

phi

Postby phi » Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:21 pm

My little sister was so looking forward to seeing Vienna tonight in Arlington, VA only to find out that she can't get in because she's only 18 years old. Which is even more disappointing since she's become such a hardcore fan of Vienna's since I've introduced her to Vienna's music over 2 months ago.

What sucks more is that I was going to go as well as all her friends, but since I'm the only real adult in the group and going to a show by yourself is pretty boring since you can't share it with anyone, no one is going to see Vienna tonight. No one wins in this scenario I guess. :(

MissJSerenity
Cool Stranger

Postby MissJSerenity » Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:08 am

Same thing happened to me last time that Vienna performed at IOTA as well. I know how that disappointment feels. Hopefully she'll play elsewhere next time she tours in the Virginia area. If not, I know she is going to perform in Maryland again in the Fall. And the place she performed at last night was in a bar in Baltimore which has admission for anyone 18 and older.
<span style='font-family:Optima'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>"It's down a rugged road you've come. Though you had every reason to you didn't come undone. Somehow you made it to the other side. You didn't suffer in vain" <br><a href='http://www.xanga.com/missjserenity' target='_blank'>MissJSerenity | Xanga</a></span></span></span><br><br>

Vienna
Warm Stranger

Postby Vienna » Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:30 am

My heart goes out to you. It sucks to be under 21 and a music fan, especially if you have no intention of trying to buy beer. :angry:

Here's the explanation, for what it's worth: the majority of good music venues in the 100-200 capacity range are 21+. Hopefully in the next year I'll graduate to playing mostly places with theater-style seating, which aren't nearly as concerned with making money off the bar during shows. Of course, the tradeoff then will be that I won't be sitting as close to y'all.

I've written my manager and booking agent asking them to actively seek out all-ages venues, or at least 18+, because I don't like shutting anybody out if I don't have to. Short of that, I guess keep an eye out for in-stores and house concerts, which are always open to all ages. And if you know of a good venue in your area that isn't 21+, definitely <a href='http://www.viennateng.com/high/contact/email.html' target='_blank'>email us</a> and let us know!

- VT

Norm
Warm Stranger

Postby Norm » Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:42 pm

Vienna wrote:My heart goes out to you.  It sucks to be under 21 and a music fan, especially if you have no intention of trying to buy beer. :angry:

Someday you'll look back and remember fondly when you couldn't get in to places because you were too young :)

I remember not being able to listen to music with some friends from college because I wasn't 21.

Now I'm (Two) Decade And Four :o

Norm

Return to “The Cafe”