So, how did you discover Vienna?

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

NJ Fan Chris
Warm Stranger

Postby NJ Fan Chris » Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:07 am

Hi everyone,

It was World Cafe for me.

A couple of questions: I live closer to NYC than Philadelphia, so is Vienna planning to be in New York in early 2004 or anywhere else in the northeast?

Also, is she accompanied by other musicians live or just her?

Thanks, and looking forward to Philly in November!
"From Bottom Line to Highline"

sunshine
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby sunshine » Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:47 am

since i saw her guest at david letterman's show...don't really know when that was coz im from the philippines and the telecasts are delayed by a few weeks...

her cd was just recently released here....and it rocks!!!!!

an_lilly
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby an_lilly » Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:28 am

a friend of mine introduce her music to me... 2 months have past, her album was release here. i just bought her album last week and all i can say is... "very enchanting"

msghome@san.rr.com

Postby msghome@san.rr.com » Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:37 pm

Just discovered Vienna...I agree with everyone that she's great...I just listened to her for the first time and now I can't wait to see her live this Saturday, Sept 6th at Twiggs...she is playing before the Will Edwards Band who I've been following since their CD debut in May and that is how came across Vienna!

Darren
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby Darren » Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:18 am

Well, I basically heard "Lullaby for a Stormy Night" coming out of my brother's room 5 or 6 years ago, asking if I recognized the singer (and the little sister's voice). I realized it was the voice of a family friend and her little sister. Then, maybe a year later, I went to a concert in her backyard and was impressed (though, because i was 11-ish, i forgot about it later).

A few years later, I've been off and on listening to her music, rediscovering it every few months.

Jason
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby Jason » Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:40 am

Discovering Vienna happened through communication with a long-time Tori friend. (Coincidentally, she also introduced me to Sarah Slean, who is absolutely wonderful). After downloading Vienna's mp3's off her site, I was immediately hooked and ordered the CD.

After seeing her last night for the third time, there is no doubt Vienna will only become more enchanting with the release of her second album. I simply can't wait!

Joe Dirt

Postby Joe Dirt » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:32 pm

npr's weekend edition.

anandiraman
Cool Stranger

Postby anandiraman » Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:24 am

Someone posted a message about Vienna's Seattle show at the Tractor Tavern (May? June?) on a Microsoft women's mailing list. I was so intrigued by her CS background I had to check out the show. Plus it was $10 and I never have fun things to do on a school night. ;) Wow, it was sure the best $10 I ever spent. Then I had to wait another week to get her CD from B&N.com because *none* of the stores around me had one. For some dumb reason I didn't buy one at the show, figuring I'd just "get it later". Glad to have the MP3s on the Website!

dnquark

Postby dnquark » Sun Sep 28, 2003 9:07 pm

Like many, I discovered Vienna's music in a social dance class at Stanford (circa winter of 2001, for me.) You see, she was once taking social dance herself. At some point, everyone in the class has to submit a short essay -- his or her thoughs on the experience of dancing. The instructor, Richard Powers, often reads excerpts from the past essays, and Vienna's is one of his all-time favorites. After he reads it, he puts on Between. Vienna originally wrote it as a cross-step waltz and gave it to him. I've taken quite a few social dance classes, and danced to Between a number of times, without any extraordinary emotions. One time, however, (Waltz week, summer 2002) I all of a sudden became really captivated by the song. So I went to my computer, looked up Vienna Teng... Usual story from here on :)

shawn
Hot Stranger

Postby shawn » Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:08 pm

It isn't often that I hear a song so moving that time itself seems to stop. Especially not on the radio these days. But it happened a few weeks ago, listening to the Sunday morning show on WBOS (Boston), where they often play songs outside of the usual playlist. A song came on that I'd never heard before, a strikingly beautiful piano piece with lyrics sung by a clear-voiced female about rain and thunder and a kiss goodnight.

I eagerly awaited the announcer coming on to say what was played. I heard him say the artist's name, but the name was unfamiliar enough that what he said didn't register in my brain. D'oh! But I did catch the song's title - "Lullabye for a Stormy Night".

I was on a mission now. I had to call the station, and managed to get through. "Hi," I said, "I just heard a song named 'Lullabye for a Stormy Night', but I didn't hear the artist's name. Who was that?"

"Vienna Teng", he said. "Who?", I replied. "Vienna, like the city; Teng, T-e-n-g." Okay. Vienna Teng. I can remember that...

Off to the usual local record stores. No sign of her at any of them. Nuts... Try Google. viennateng.com, of course. Lots of information there. Interesting... she used to be a software engineer for Cisco? That's kinda funny - I used to work at Nortel, currently work at Ciena. (yeah, it rhymes :) )

I see a mention of Tower Records there. Normally, I don't shop at Tower, but this time I'm willing to make an exception. Bingo! They have it! I listen to "Lullabye" first - yep, just as moving as I remembered. Back to the beginning of the CD, "The Tower" - hey, I know this song too! I can't remember where or when I had heard it before, but I remembered it - liked it when I first heard it, and it just gets better with every listen. The rest of the CD is solid, and continues to grow on me.

Vienna is playing in Cambridge on October 30th. My girlfriend and I already have our reservations. I wonder if Vienna will play "Lullabye". I sure hope so...

-shawn

Relight Chan

Postby Relight Chan » Sat Oct 11, 2003 4:35 am

I saw Vienna's name on Amazon.com in a review.... then i searched her name on Kazaa and downloaded her songs. And of course I ordered her CD via local HMV.... (Since I live in Hong Kong it took two months to arrive and damn the shipping cost!!!)

Thanks to kazaa I get to try out different songs before I buy them :)

ShaynePepper
Warm Stranger

Postby ShaynePepper » Sat Oct 11, 2003 7:22 pm

I discovered her from a compilation cd put out by Landmark Theaters. From the moment that I heard "The Tower", I was hooked.

I think that "The Tower" and "Enough To Go By" are perfectly crafted songs. Once I heard them, I ordered the album immediately!

Carolyn

Postby Carolyn » Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:38 pm

My brother in Alaska told me to check out Vienna. I bought the CD and loved it. Last night I was lucky enough to see her perform in Pittsburgh. I got to tell her in person that my brother was doing some good PR for her. She is just a lovely person and so gracious. I hope she returns to Pittsburgh soon!

JeremyN
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby JeremyN » Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:33 pm

I just discovered her yesterday. In a word...Wow! I'm a huge Tori, Sarah M, Loreena M, Kate Price, Tara MacLean fan and I was hoping to find somebody new, so I was listening to the iTunes radio station "Radio Paradise" and they were playing an all female singer/songwriters set. Vienna came on after Tori and before Sarah McLachlan. Those guys really know how to put together a playlist. Sure glad I was listening.

Vienna, please come to Utah!

Jeremy

Dan Tan

Postby Dan Tan » Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:20 am

Woohoo! Someone mentioned the Six String Cafe!

I started playing at the Open Mike nights there this past summer, and while in Texas, a friend who heard me perform said, "You should check out Vienna Teng! She's one of my favorite songwriters!"

So I did, and I was hooked! I just saw her and Kyler England do two joint concerts at the Six String Cafe this past Thursday (Nov 13). It was AWESOOOOOOMMME!!!!!!!!! Fantastic joint performance. I'm serious, the place was electrified by the performances, and I stayed for TWO shows! Brought ten people with me too, who are now new fans :-)

Hey, if you were at the Six String Cafe, email me! Dan@DanTan.net
I'm curious to see who her fans are in the Triangle North Carolina area...

And you can also check out my music at <a href='http://www.DanTan.net' target='_blank'>www.DanTan.net</a> but I warn you, I've only got rough recordings of a few songs up.

Dan Tan

Return to “The Cafe”