So, how did you discover Vienna?

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Princess Guard
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby Princess Guard » Sat Jun 14, 2003 6:28 am

I was reading through the Dar Williams mailing list and came across a post about Vienna back in 2001 (can't remember who posted it, unfortunately). Being Chinese, I immediately took notice of her surname :P A few MP3 downloads and a $14.42 Paypal later, I was hooked :)

Steve
Hot Stranger

Postby Steve » Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:06 pm

Yes, let's hear it for Kelly Vaughan on the Dar-List! She suggested we check out Vienna's website, and immediately Vienna had many more fans. Then when Vienna announced her East Coast tour and I found out she'd be only two hours away, I couldn't believe it. At the concert she even said that she'd be back next year, and this time only 30 minutes away!

tim
Cool Stranger

Postby tim » Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:45 pm

I have Mr. Dan Stark to blame for telling me about her last summer :-) Thank goodness he did!

GeenaSu622
Cool Stranger

Postby GeenaSu622 » Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:23 pm

i heard about her from a friend of mine, actually on the vanessa carton boards about 8 months ago and have been listening to her ever since.
-Gina

tontamoo
Warm Stranger

Postby tontamoo » Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:24 am

My cousin told me about her a while ago. He saw her on some kind of television show. At first I didn't pay attention, and I didn't remember the name. However, the next time, when I was riding in his car, he had her CD playing, and I immediately fell in love with her voice. As soon as I got home, I looked her up on the internet, and downloaded the mp3s from her site. Those few mp3s held me over until I was able to buy her album.

Speaking of that, I think I need to buy another copy of her CD. Believe it or not, I had her CD on pause for an entire 2 weeks! How? I must have put it on pause, and forgot about it (thinking I had turned off the CD player). In the mean time, I left overseas for two weeks! :blink: The CD has these weird wavely patterns on the bottom instead of the nice continuous concentric circles. It seems to play fine, but it still looks damaged, and it bothers me.... ;)

Klaorman
Getting Stranger

Postby Klaorman » Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:12 am

I read about Vienna in a SF Chronicle article in early April. As with Princess Guard, I thought, "Oooh! A Chinese singer!" and downloaded some MP3s and bought the CD. I also saw her concerts at Borders and <a href='http://www.pbase.com/klaorman/viennatower' target='_blank'>Tower Records</a> and will be going to her Freight and Salvage concert this Saturday.
Klaorman

Guest_dave

Postby Guest_dave » Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:18 am

just wanted to say i hurd about her from a friend that plays coffie houses, and really like her stuff, very talented girl
www.mp3.com/davidsheffield

Malanai
Cool Stranger

Postby Malanai » Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:00 pm

I was browsing mp3.com, searching for artists who had listed that they were similar to Sarah McLachlan. And let me tell you, finding a really good artist like Vienna on mp3.com is like finding a needle in a haystack, but I'm so glad that I found her. ^_^

wolding
Warm Stranger

Postby wolding » Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:30 am

I visit a really cool music listening room called the Six String Cafe almost every Thursday. Late March they had Vienna's poster up, so I visited her website. That really made me want to see her! She played here, and nearby, three days that weekend and I got to meet her each time. Between those shows, Adam's picture journal, and Eric Cheng's weblog, I overdosed. And fell... Since then I've been trying to get the word out to other people. My coworkers and few friends are tired of me talking about Vienna. :P

Frances

Postby Frances » Sat Jun 21, 2003 10:39 pm

Living in Toronto, Canada, virtually no one up here in the True North Strong and Free
has heard of Vienna Teng. Neither are her CDs sold up here, and she has never toured here.
I myself am a piano-based amateur musician. Up here in TO the most well-known local to
Toronto piano-based pop/alt. female musicians are Sarah Slean and Emm Gryner (actually
Emm originally was based in TO but she has moved around to New York and L.A.).

So by chance I was doing a web search on google.ca, looking for piano-based songwriters,
using keywords "piano" AND "singer/songwriter" and "female". and Vienna's name came up
somewhere on the list of links. i went to her official website and listened to her music there
and i was a fan!

so of course i ordered the CD from Virt Records. the only thing that was a little upsetting
was that Customs slapped a sizeable fee on the CD when I picked it up from the post
office. oh well. !@%^$@%%^Q$%#$^*% Customs.

i'm looking forward to hearing Vienna Teng perform live on Monday June 23rd from the
Bitter End's website. they have a cool webcam and audio feed link on the website and
you can hear (and sort of watch, depending on your bandwidth) the entertainment live.
since i won't be able to make it down to New York and she ain't coming up to Toronto
any time soon (I'm sure a ton of Americans are scared off by the SARS thing even though
no one I personally knew in TO had it), this is the closest i'll get to hearing her play live
for now. she plays at 8:30 pm EST.

anyway, that's how i discovered Vienna Teng. sort of the same way that her record label
Virt did.

Eric
Getting Stranger

Postby Eric » Sat Jun 21, 2003 11:40 pm

Ah, Sarah Slean is wondermous. I like Emm, too. But I definitely recommend <a href='http://sarahslean.com' target='_blank'>Sarah</a> -- or at least he album Blue Parade -- to anyone who likes Vienna.
- Eric Miller: occasional forum admin, occasional webmaster -

wolding
Warm Stranger

Postby wolding » Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:30 am

I hope the Bitter End staff move the camera - or move the piano - for Vienna's performance. Tonight (Saturday) the leader of the band is at the piano, but he's completely out of view. :(

Wimpy
Cool Stranger

Postby Wimpy » Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:50 pm

I was browsing the tech page of the USA today website one day and discovered a web site called "CD baby". I like listening to new sound so I started to browese the "CD baby" site. I notice Vienna on the pop/folks page and noticed she was getting great review from everyone. I downloaded some of her song and was immediately hooked. Bought her original "Waking Hours" from CD baby and the rest was history.

I also checked out other artists on "CD baby", no one compares to Vienna :)

Esther

Postby Esther » Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:49 am

I heard her being interviewed on NPR's Weekend Edition on 01/12/03 and was immediately taken by the clips of the songs they played. I rushed over to the NPR site to see if they had a recording of the interview, and the rest is history...

Elspeth

Postby Elspeth » Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:14 am

I heard her on NPR early one Sunday and liked it enough several days later to check the website and relisten to the interview. Then I downloaded the MP3s from her site. At that point, I figured I should pony up and buy the album, so I looked up Virt online and bought direct. (I prefer the artist and indie label to get the cash rather than the middleman) Every so often I check the Amazon rankings. I like to think her good work should be rewarded with nice steady sales numbers. Makes me feel a bit like a geek, but then again, how often does a person get to say "I was a fan when..." I think she'll break through, and it's kind of fun to watch the ride.

Return to “The Cafe”