Internet Relay Chat

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Chainlink
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby Chainlink » Sat Jun 07, 2003 4:30 pm

Hey everybody,

I'm new to the forums, but I've been a long time (umm maybe 2 months) listener of Vienna. Okay, so maybe it hasn't been that long, but hey, it's never too late to start, right? Well, anyway, I had an idea. It'd be cool to see like people's recordings of Vienna playing live, or any live video of performances, right? (I don't have any, so some may accuse me of being a leech.) But yeah, maybe the best place to spread this stuff would be over Internet Relay Chat (IRC). I've got a channel going right now...just registered like a minute ago. It's at:

irc.webchat.org
#vienna-teng

I'm only going to be operating it for the rest of the week, then the magic day when finals are over and I can go back home come into play. I've got nasty 56k baud at home so who knows if I can come back. So, if anyone's interested, I could OP some people to take care of everything while I'm gone. That is, if an IRC channel is in demand at all... Well, I'll keep it going, regardless, and whoever shows up, cool. We can chat ;) . Alrighty, hope to see you all there! Go Vienna!

~Luan

p.s. I hope no one else has already started a channel...if so..i'll go there and kill this one...
p.p.s. If anyone needs help knowing what IRC is, umm..well if you're running windows you can go to www.mirc.com. If you need further assistance...you can contact me at either AIM: Armatron01, MSN: silver_federov@hotmail.com, or ICQ: 45984653. Whatever works...
ahoy mateys!

tontamoo
Warm Stranger

Postby tontamoo » Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:19 pm

Oy, I would go there if I knew how to work mIRC.

Chainlink
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby Chainlink » Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:56 pm

okay, if you've already downloaded it, i'll give you a brief rundown on how to get to the chat...

File->Options

In the Connect tab, click on "Add". Enter this information

Description: [whatever helps you remember what this connection is]
IRC server: irc.webchat.org
Port(s): 6667

That's it for that section. Click OK

In the Connect window, put in a nickname.
Then, connect to IRC server. Once it's finished connecting, a window should pop up showing a bunch of channels. Type in #vienna-teng and click Join. This should get you in.

You should also try registering your nickname so that other people won't steal it.
in the main window of mIRC, after you've finished connecting, you'll see two windows. One is the channel window which you've just connected to, and the other is a Status window that shows the server you're on. In that window, type this command:

/msg nickserv register [password] [email address]

You have to have a nickname at this time. if you want to change it before this process, you can always type:

/nick [nickname]

After registering you, they should send a confirmation email. Follow those instructions. After that, I think you should be set. Good luck.

Luan

P.S. Sorry for the windy explanation...I'm sure there's an easier way to say all this stuff, but ohhh well...
ahoy mateys!

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:43 am

hmmm...isn't anyone else going to visit the channel? i saw some of you...but you left like after such a short while. hang around longer eh...

tim
Cool Stranger

Postby tim » Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:23 pm

I'm on IRC pretty much all day, and I'm an op in several other channels... this is a great idea and getting more people in there would be fabulous.

Chainlink
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby Chainlink » Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:29 pm

okay guys, i'm outta the IRC channel for quite some time. Keep me posted on any changes, ok? I'll see some of you at the show in Berkeley, I hope. Take care!
ahoy mateys!

Return to “The Cafe”