Emma--

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:06 am

Congratulations on getting into such a tough school! I think it's cool that you took a creative writing class. I've been wanting to do that for awhile now and never get around to it, but hopefully I will find the time for it someday. Psychology sounds like a very interesting thing to study. It was one of the things I temporarily thought I'd like to switch to, along with veterinarian, writer, lawyer, and meterologist. LOL :) ~Ginny
"I'm going crazy a little every day. Everything I wanted is now driving me away." ~Sheryl Crow (Home)

emma
Cool Stranger

Postby emma » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:06 am

creative writing is great! it made me see the value and beauty of little things, of things that seem mundane at first sight. you should take a class sometime--it's worthwhile. and psychology really is interesting. the human mind is such an amazing thing. i'm glad we have a common liking for the subject. i'm actually fond of computers too. i seriously considered taking up a computer degree, like you.

anyway, thanks for being so nice ginny! your post really made me happy. all the people here are so nice. glad to be a warm stranger. :)

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:55 pm

Oh yeah, I love this forum. I've really enjoyed chatting with everyone here since I joined! When I first came onto this site I did so because I thought it would be fun to read about the concerts and occasionally chat with people about Vienna's music, but everyone has always been so nice I just kept on posting. :) ~Ginny
"I'm going crazy a little every day. Everything I wanted is now driving me away." ~Sheryl Crow (Home)

emma
Cool Stranger

Postby emma » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:07 pm

yes. i can relate. :) this forum rules.

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:56 pm

I'm liking all the activity here in the last few days! Emma, I liked what you said about how you'd want to stay in the Philippines. I'm embarassed to admit that I know very little about the place, but I've had the pleasure of meeting 5 or 6 people from there in person and a few more on the internet, and I must say that I have noticed the warmth you spoke of in every one of them. It must be a very nice place to be. :) My best friend in high school was named Cheryl. Her mom was from there and left her family behind to marry an American while her family stayed behind in the Philippines. To this day Cheryl has never met her grandparents or cousins or aunts and uncles because the trip is so expensive which I've always felt sad about for some reason. ~Ginny

emma
Cool Stranger

Postby emma » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:20 am

yah..the trip is quite expensive. but i'd like to go there soon and see VT live. there are a lot of filipinos who migrate to the states--about 50,000 a year or so. and cheryl's story is quite common, sad to say. i don't know about this, but they all say that life is easier there--making a living, i mean. but what i noticed (correct me if i'm wrong) is that americans don't have that close family ties. we value that very much here; it's unspeakable to leave parents in retirement homes unless the children have dire reasons. and children don't just move out, it's the common thing to see grandparents, and their children, plus the grandchildren all in one home. so there may be cousins, uncles and aunts there too. all of them just contribute to the household expenses, one big happy family. i guess that adds up to the warmth i was speaking of. i can't imagine leaving my parents or grandparents alone with only a caregiver or a private nurse to assist them. :)

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:51 am

Well Emma, if you ever decide to come over for a Vienna concert, feel free to make your destination North Carolina and you can stay at my place. That would help expenses. :) Wow, I can't imagine grandparents, children, grandchildren with aunts, uncles and cousins in one house. I wouldn't say Americans don't have strong family ties, although most of us don't live as closely together as y'all do. I think it just depends on each individual situation. My family is not close-knit and that is something I have often been disappointed in (i am happy to say that i am VERY close to my father, sister and niece though. :)). I think it would be fun to have a big, happy family who gets together for holidays and sees each other regularly. In college my roommate Maria always took me to her house for Thanksgiving, where 26 other family members showed up to celebrate. I thought that was the coolest thing I ever saw! I have a mom, sister, niece and grandmother in Louisiana, an uncle in Texas, I'm the only one in North Carolina, and my dad is in Virginia. My other grandparents and uncle on Dad's side are dead and I don't know most of my counsins. I started wishing for the family thing more when my niece came along--Hailey is now 3. I'd love for her to have what I always felt I missed out on, but I can't give it to her. I will do anything for that girl as long as I'm alive, but there are some things I can't provide and that is one of them unfortunately. It sounds like there is a pretty big difference in culture between the USA and the Philippines, huh? :) I think most of our parents hope we will leave. lol And the country is so large that if Mom and Dad live in California and grown child lives in Boston, it's about 3,000 miles. Then when the parents become elderly the adult child may not be able to move 3,000 miles away to take care of them and the parents may not be willing to move 3,000 miles away from their friends to stay with the kids. Luckily there are many nice assisted living places. My grandparents insisted on going to one b/c the setup was nice and they felt safer with on-grounds medical staff. My dad offered countless times for them to move in with him but they declined despite the fact that they loved my dad very much and he would've given them anything. So how many people did you live with when you were growing up? Are you in a college dorm room type thing now or do you live at home? If these questions are too personal then feel free to PM/e-mail me or not answer them! ~Ginny

Return to “The Cafe”