6 Questions for Y'all

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

emma
Cool Stranger

Postby emma » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:04 am

ben wrote:@emma,
Hi! ...kabayan.  :rolleyes: :P  :D  ;)

hi kabayan ben! so you're also filipino! vienna is really making waves, even halfway around the world! :)

Steve
Hot Stranger

Postby Steve » Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:14 pm

1. What outside of music are y'all passionate about? My family, cultural understanding, literacy.

2. What really aggravates you? Lack of courtesy, as with so many others.

3. When you have one day off, what is your favorite thing to do? Too many days off right now, but I'd rather be spending them with famiy and friends, maybe walking in the woods and seeing the waterfalls in the area.

4. If you have a phobia, what is it (if it's not too personal)? Being deep in caves...

5. What's the nicest thing you ever did for someone? Helping a quadraplegic friend get through some tough times, I guess.

6. If you were being forced to move but could go anywhere in the world, where would you choose to live? Northern Scotland or Ecuador/Peru. Lots of good places in this world.

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:52 am

Hmm, OK - this looks like fun, although I'm typing this exhausted from two very busy days and little sleepp...

1. Obviously we're all passionate about great music, whether it's only Vienna's songs or a wide variety of different artists. What outside of music are y'all passionate about?

Astronomy, still. Particularly my research, when I get time to do it, which is less often these days than it should be. People- and see next answe.

2. What really aggravates you?

I'd have to agree with the general sentiment expressed here for this question, but I will specify it to selfishness. Rare is a person these days who
says something like "You know, this xxx policy is not particularly good for me, but it is good for the society, so I'll support it." It's al ME ME ME ME ME
and it makes me sick.

3. When you have one day off, what is your favorite thing to do?

Day off? I usually take at least an extra day when travelling for business and find something to do and explore. Learning a new
environment/culture is always fun.

4. If you have a phobia, what is it (if it's not too personal)?

Can't think of a phobia, per se. A general fear? Sometimes I fear I've said too much, but so far, it hasn't bitten me yet (at least not too hard).

5. What's the nicest thing you ever did for someone?

I'll answer the new question which is what's the nicest thing someone ever did for me: Marry me!

6. If you were being forced to move but could go anywhere in the world, where would you choose to live?

Tough question. I just turned down a job offer in Capetown which would about be my perfect spot, but for the high crime rate
and the still divided society. I'm actually pondering another offer in Australia, about 5-6 hours away from another top choice:
Sydney. I'd have to add San Francisco to that list and maybe even put Big Bear (SoCal) up in the running. Lived there once and
it was near ideal for that secluded country environment but close enough to all of SoCal when you wanted a fix of civilization!
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Eric
Getting Stranger

Postby Eric » Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:17 am

Scot wrote: Astronomy, still. Particularly my research, when I get time to do it, which is less often these days than it should be.

Hey Scot - what's your research? Astronomy was my childhood love ... I think when I got to college I realized how much math was involved and decided to remain a layman. :) But I still dig hearing about what's going on.
- Eric Miller: occasional forum admin, occasional webmaster -

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:08 pm

Eric wrote:
Hey Scot - what's your research? Astronomy was my childhood love ... I think when I got to college I realized how much math was involved and decided to remain a layman. :)

I'm currently working with the <a href='http://www.sdss.org' target='_blank'>Sloan Digital Sky Survey</a>, which is mapping about 1/2 the
visible Northern sky. We'll tell you what it is, where it is, and how far away it is. My own research centers on white dwarf
stars, which are the most common endpoint for most stars. The Sun, certainly, will end up as a white dwarf, for example.

The survey is mainly an extra-galactic survey, that is, we're searching for distant galaxies, but to identify the galaxies, you first
have to throw away the stores, and I'm there with my broom and dustpan to sweep them up! :>

scot
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Jazzfrac
Warm Stranger

Postby Jazzfrac » Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:33 pm

Okay - I'm finally getting around to answering these questions, after having been on vacation and coming home to a whole lotta stuff to do :) I purposely haven't read any one else's comments so as not to be biased.

1. Obviously we're all passionate about great music, whether it's only Vienna's songs or a wide variety of different artists. What outside of music are y'all passionate about?

I guess my answer would be education, but in a very broad sense. Firstly I constantly try to educate myself by reading whether it be science, historical, political, or even fiction. And secondly I voluntarily teach one day a week, sort of a tutor environment. This is my 5th year teaching high-school math, currently I teach Algebra II. I'm passionate about education because I feel its so important to everybody to learn all they can and continually keep their minds open to the fullest. I could probably go on and on about this, but I wouldn't want to put everyone to sleep.

One word:
IGNORANCE

I love to be outside, somewhere quiet like the back woods, and just think. But if I can't be outside, I'm happy staying in and listening to music. If I have a chance to be with friends thats even better.

I don't like the idea of airplanes, but I've never tried to get on one, to actually see if I would go into a panic attack or something. I don't like ladders too much :unsure:

5. EDIT: What's the nicest thing you ever did for someone or the nicest thing someone ever did for you?

Well this is really tough, but I'm going to say it was when one of my classmates gave me a card on my high school graduation day. A lot of people have given me cards before and I've give cards to people, but this was the first card I'd ever seen that showed the person truly spent time and care and it sounded like it came straight from their heart. So ever since then I decided to make all my cards I write this way, hoping that the recipients will get the same feeling I got.

6. If you were being forced to move but could go anywhere in the world, where would you choose to live?

Probably on the northeast coast of australia by the great barrier reef, but not too close to a city.

Steve J
Hot Stranger

Postby Steve J » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:55 am

Hey Jazzfrac.... I'm sorry you don't like flying, but I'm glad someone (you)has the same dislike, or fear, as I do. I have flown a few times, but it scares me and I havn't flown in about 20 years now.

I can get along fine without planes. Three years ago, I even rode on a Greyhound BUS from North Carolina to L. A. Cali. and BACK. It was fun. It was a 50 hour ride each way. I left on a Wednesday at noon and was in Cali by around noon Friday. I met interesting people, saw sights, listened to lots of tunes, and was even able to sleep some. Round trip was only $79.

Ginny, can you believe you just now got me to answer another one of your questions? ;)
Loyal fan/groupie/friend/ETC. of Vienna Teng, Kyler England & Taylor Roberts Music (Now "Glorydive").

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:16 am

LOL Very impressive, Steve J! :) Wow, I can't believe you went all the way to CA on a bus, and for just $79! Can't beat that rate, huh? I've never been to California but I really want to go to San Diego and San Francisco. Maybe someday....~Ginny
"I'm going crazy a little every day. Everything I wanted is now driving me away." ~Sheryl Crow (Home)

ben
Getting Stranger

Postby ben » Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:42 am

Regarding Steve J's land trip, I've always been fascinated about going about on land. This is especially true in the Philippines where we are composed of 3 major island. I was born in Mindanao, the southern-most island and currently working and living in Luzon, the northern-most island. Now there are travel packages that's going to take you from Manila (where I live in Luzon) to Davao (where I grew up in Mindanao). A 3-4day trip over land and water (via RORO). The good part is, it's gonna have a lot of stops to let you enjoy the beautiful provinces along the way. My problem now is time. :(
Always look on the bright side of life.

eevony
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby eevony » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:30 am

1. What outside of music are y'all passionate about?

Besides Vienna, I guess I like some bands like Dashboard and Sublime. JASON MRAZ, and CLASSICAL MUSIC. I LOVE classical music, they're awesome. okay I think i made my point. :lol:

Ugh, being a student, people that asks a LOT of unnecessary questions in class.. stuff like that.

I would like to sleep that whole day, but I'll probably end up doing work. So, I am probably hoping that i'd sleep. but really dont. did that make any sense at all?

OH i have the biggest phobia for elevators. I cannot ever ever ever be in an elevator by myself. or any closed spaced. but especially elevators. yikes.

5. EDIT: What's the nicest thing you ever did for someone or the nicest thing someone ever did for you?

eh.. my friend baked me cookies, i thought that was nice. i baked cookies back for him, that's pretty nice too.

DEFINITELY ITALY. ;D ciao bellas. :ph34r:

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:23 am

Hi all and thanks Ginny for this questionary !

- learning from documentaries & books, walking, learning more words from English-written blogs or forum of artists like here ;)

- sexual tourists, liars (more about the kind of persons who cheat for material greed rather than the kind of persons who lie to disobey immoral laws and save their life or other people's life like in some part of History and histories ...) & irresponsible people ...

- open my mental window to clouds, books, live concerts, social or cutural events, depending of the weather, financial situation and above all of my mood ...

4. If you have a phobia, what is it (if it's not too personal)? :)
- heights & deep water.

5. What's the nicest thing you ever did for someone or the nicest thing someone ever did for you?
- in my student years : helping a Japanese student coming from Southern Europe. She was pickpoketed inside Paris subway and somewhat could not go outside Paris subway.
I am sorry to say that the French woman behind the ticket office not only did not speak English but when explaining to her the situation she did not answer in a kind way by saying - in a "I-don't-care" style - that we have to report the theft to the police ....
While walking & looking for a police office, fulfilling papers, and looking then for the lowest prices for hotel nights, I tried to talk to her about Japanase artists like Leiji Matsumotoand his animation film named "Galaxy Express 999", talking about Japanese lyrics of a song I don't understand and asking her if she knows the meaning in English of the song's title something like "yasashiku shinaide". She laughed and said it means "leave me alone" or something like that I think. Then I talked about Yabuuchi Satoshi, how one day I met him by chance in his exhibition in Paris (his arrival was at that time not scheduled for that day), saying her that my sister bought me a book of pictures related to a collection of his sculptures, inside which he wrote my firstname and signed with a black India ink with a special brush.
We finally find one near a train station. I paid in advance some days of hotel , giving her cash for food and phone calls. She waited for her friend or boyfriend to come to Paris from another Southern Europe country.
Her mum paid me back and I was surprised that she sent me gifts too ;) ...
- Strange is this world : when looking at one of my old address book I recently discovered that the Japanese traveler I met in Stuttgart when attending VT live concert has the same family name as the first Japanese girl I met ;) ... I don't know if they are relatvies or not.
CRAZY coincidence ?!?!?...

- I don't know, the future will tell me, but probably in a country where I could understand and speak the language, maybe somewhere in the area of the Pacific Ring of Fire who knows ?!... ;)

7. What's the nicest thing someone ever did for you?
- any food cooked with love for me ... who is always "In The Mood For Food" style ... ;) & people giving me advice.
Last edited by Walking Stranger on Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
♡ Internet/Drugs/Seeds. Copy=Right. ACTA harms freedom. Stop ACTA!Please copy and share. Say NO to ACTA.

wolding
Warm Stranger

Postby wolding » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:29 pm

1. I used to be passionate about the outdoors - especially day hiking and biking. These days I'm loosing even my passion for music making. Pretty sad.

2. I truly hate it when people mistreat animals - especially their own pets.

3. I enjoy making and recording music at home on my days off. I also enjoy cooking and getting a lot of odd jobs finished.

4. I am afraid of heights if there is nothing solid holding me up. But I'm not aware of any "phobia".

5. I don't tend to remember nice things I do for other folks; only the bad (it's the Catholic guilt in me). During a solo trip in 2007, my in-laws took time to celebrate my birthday at my favorite restaurant in Seoul. They treated me really, really well.

6. I would like very much to live in South Korea - Kwangju in particular, or maybe Seongnam.

Jessi
Warm Stranger

Postby Jessi » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:23 am

Hey Ginny, I feel maybe I owe you this one, cause I've been terribly remiss about posting on my blog, of late, and you haven't spammed me. :)

Usually, music is my "outside" passion. So I guess I'll say what I'm trying to do for a living, as being the "outside" music passion, which is television writing. Or to put it another way, being a writer for scripted television.

Very little bothers me. I agree with many of you that inconsiderate people are unpleasant to be around. However, I try to spend as little energy worrying about them as possible. I'll have to keep thinking about this.

Watch TV, watch movies, read books, read the nytimes.com and salon.com, write, hang out with friends, hang out with my cat, listen to music, play sports

I don't really have any phobias. I'm terribly boring.

I do many nice things for people and people have reciprocated on occasion, but since this is Vienna Teng's forum I'll tell you about something I did for her once. A couple of years ago we'd planned for me to visit her in San Francisco for the weekend right before Christmas, so I wanted to come up with a great present for her. Prior to that trip, actually, several months prior we were hanging out in LA. Usually, when she stays with me in LA we end up staying up late talking about all the things we do in our lives between visits. In LA, several months before Christmas she told me about flying out of Milwaukee that previous winter. That it was profoundly beautiful because it had just snowed. Milwaukee also happens to sit on one of the Great Lakes. She told me she thought an aerial view of a city next to water after it had just snowed would make a good album cover some day. So for her Christmas present many months later, I called every aerial photographer in the Milwaukee area. Eventually, I found a guy who had what I was looking for and had him send me several color prints. She liked her gift very much, if I recall.

I would still live in Los Angeles. If I were forced to move from my current apartment, I'd just move to Silverlake neighbhorhood of LA. I love Los Angeles and this is where my dreams can come true. See, told you I was boring.

arcsol
Warm Stranger

Postby arcsol » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:22 pm

uy. tatlo na tayo. lol

@emma - mabuhay ang mga iskolar ng bayan! not so scare you or anything, but life in UP gets harder as time passes. i should know - i still have to pass this thesis and that's the only thing keeping me from graduation. and if that thing is alive, it could walk straight now and eat solid food. yeah, it's been that long.

pardon the non-english. it's nice to see fellow countrymen/women here, gives me hope that this country can still develop good musical tastes XD

OnT:

i managed to qualify for computer science and creative writing in UP. i know, totally off-tangent courses. the only similarity is that both courses would allow me to create anything out of nothing except my imagination, brains and hard work. the funny thing is, my muse has left me. or at least she's on strike. now my life's really mundane. i need to get that spark back. my writing project (see link at the sig) is stagnant now; a load of half-finished entries there, and a load of half-formed stories in my head.

a lot. from people who are ignorant yet won't do anything to remedy that ignorance to intolerance to outright disrespect to mendicancy to... [rant rant rant]. lol.

funny, i still have to have one (a day off) for the longest time now. if that were to happen, i want to get my muse back, kicking and screaming if she has to be, and get her to transform the pent-up brain farts into something actually good so i can post something on that link in my sig.

i'm actually afraid of fucking up. and myself. i'm afraid of myself. i'm afraid of what i can do if i let go from everything i hold on to.

5. What's the nicest thing you ever did for someone or the nicest thing someone ever did for you?

this, requires a blog post. and a lot of thinking and maybe remembering. my life is so mundane now i can't think of anything else other than survive, thesis and work. FML.

somewhere far far away but with all the amenities. a hermit with benefits? something like that. or maybe i can just give in to my wanderlust and go around the country, visiting places i've never been and moving on like a tumbleweed in a hot windy summer day.
A VT fan from the Philippines?

Do check out the 2014 Vienna Teng PHILIPPINES tour thread!

Drop a line and say hi! Post on the thread, leave a PM if you want, or send an email at marc dot a dot public at gmail dot com so we can make this happen!

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:20 am

I like being out in nature because it is a place where you can sort out the thoughts in your mind while giving your physical body the exercise it needs. The answer to this question could change daily, perhaps even hourly about the finer details of where I would like to explore. Currently I am all excited about exploring some nearby canyons in March.
Here is a photo that intrigues me.

Right Wing Rednecks who talk about how we need to kill all the wolves so hunting can be prosperous again. Also how wolves and their control of the international banking cartels are the very roots of communism, and they have a blood lust for killing and do so for sheer enjoyment. No person or their livestock are safe with wolves running through the forest. The wolves also supported that no good Barrack Obama who is friends with terrorists. I always ask the rednecks how the Bison population was numbered at sixty million animals with packs of wolves preying on them the whole time for hundreds of years and yet the bison almost became extinct when the white man moved west. The only response I get then is that I am a tree hugging son of a *****. Remember there is only one political party that is correct and it is the one that supports Republican Jesus Here is his picture:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_7O3gYqBJqGo/SL1Pok9NcyI/AAAAAAAAADQ/U1vmcGXMK70/s1600-h/830390.jpg

Relax, take a walk, eat a great meal out, Sushi for example, and then relax with the family watching a movie or the home movies and slides.

Pitbulls! Much more dangerous than a wolf. There are accurate records depicting pit bulls killing people or injuring them severely. You don't read a whole lot about wolves killing people.

5. EDIT: What's the nicest thing you ever did for someone or the nicest thing someone ever did for you? This question is to personal to talk about.

6. If you were being forced to move but could go anywhere in the world, where would you choose to live? The Oregon Coast

P.S. Okay Walking Stranger, I answered the questions due to the fact we don't have a new scrapbook post. But my answers could change at any given time down the road.
Last edited by Ang Mo on Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Return to “The Cafe”