Vienna's latest scrapbook entry

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

JohnL
Warm Stranger

Postby JohnL » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:02 am

Re: Vienna’s latest scrapbook entry, I’m happy to see she’s pushing her artistic horizon outward. She’s on a journey that I think we’ll all enjoy following. Something different from WH and WS? Wow, I can’t wait to hear that!!

ctakim
Warm Stranger

Postby ctakim » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:15 am

What a thoughtful and thought provoking scrapbook entry. My excitement is palpable and I am thrilled to think of what the future will bring in terms of artistic development. Hemingway indeed, very impressive.

ctakim

ShaynePepper
Warm Stranger

Postby ShaynePepper » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:51 am

She never fails to impress and inspire.

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:17 am

***hurries quickly to the scrapbook***
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

emma
Cool Stranger

Postby emma » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:47 am

wow.. i can't wait for her next album =)

Jack
Warm Stranger

Postby Jack » Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:34 pm

What a thoughtful and thought provoking scrapbook entry. My excitement is palpable and I am thrilled to think of what the future will bring in terms of artistic development. Hemingway indeed, very impressive.

ctakim

So true, so very, very true... :)
I told her I ain't so sure about this place<br>it's hard to play a gig in this town and keep a straight face---Shawn Mullins

Alderon
Warm Stranger

Postby Alderon » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:09 pm

i'm so looking forward to the next album!

i hope she really takes a leap and follows her muse... and screw counterpoint / traditional harmony.... get that edge into the music.

(feather moon, feather moon, feather moon...)

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:30 am

While I believe I'd be happy with another dozen albums like WH and WS, I'm excited to anticipate the next chapter. This sounds
like fun! Way to go, Vienna and good luck. Enjoy the journey!

scot
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

sheeba
Hot Stranger

Postby sheeba » Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:38 pm

Sounds intriguing. I'm with Alderon...I'm all for leap taking and the edge. I absolutely can't wait for the next album.

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:30 pm

I'm excited, too! Will probably be awhile but well worth the wait. :) ~Ginny
"I'm going crazy a little every day. Everything I wanted is now driving me away." ~Sheryl Crow (Home)

TRM
Cool Stranger

Postby TRM » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:11 pm

Vienna's latest entry outlines a plan to set off in new directions in her songwriting. But, she also worries aloud about being in a dry spell. Considering her touring schedule, this is not surprising: even a dynamo like Vienna has limits of energy. She deserves a little downtime for R&R and for writing! I am glad to see the many posts expressing confidence in what will come next. I share that confidence. Considering the depth and breadth of what Vienna has already produced, I have no doubt there are great things to come.

TRM

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:49 am

Well-said, TRM. :) When she gets some down time the songs will start coming.....and Vienna, if you're reading this: no pressure, ok? You've kept us plenty happy in the last few years so we'll be around regardless of how long you want to take between albums. ~G
"I'm going crazy a little every day. Everything I wanted is now driving me away." ~Sheryl Crow (Home)

Steve J
Hot Stranger

Postby Steve J » Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:24 am

I agree with Ginny. But my concern is, IF she will ever get any down time. I think Vienna probably will soon need a large block of time away. I say this because she, herself, has brought up her concerns several times now, such as regarding such the long period since finishing a song, and the long period since last "playing a piano in an empty room in the dark", and her concerns about critics comments and the thoughts of accolades and forum posts knocking around in her head.

I know that when I am busy busy busy, and jumping from place to place like a monkey, touching a little bit of each tree and each branch, it is more difficult to experience the peaks of emotions and the depths of feelings. Thoughts and interactions tend to be more brief and superficial. If a person has a need to communicate and express themselves thoughtfully, that need can sometimes be met for a time through numerous brief interactions. When there is alot going on, the mind is already conveying many thousands of words and thoughts each day and seeing so many new sights and hearing so many sounds. In that situation, the mind doesn't feel a great need to express itself further or further convey thoughts or feelings, or to delve into deep imaginations. But,... retreat down out of the spotlight for a good while and just experience relatively boring normalcy, and that mind will begin bubbling with excitement, racing through new thoughts and looking for new ways to express it creatively to others.

So, maybe Vienna someday will need, for a time, to be more like the dog, or even the cat, and less like the monkey. Just sit there.... lay there.... watch life.... be still.... be quiet....
:D
Then..... who knows?
Loyal fan/groupie/friend/ETC. of Vienna Teng, Kyler England & Taylor Roberts Music (Now "Glorydive").

jblittle
Warm Stranger

Postby jblittle » Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:23 pm

I agree that it’s great that Vienna is shooting for that next level in her song writing. And I can’t wait to hear the results. Although it will be worth the wait, even if it takes a few years for her next CD.

However, I also hope she gives herself some credit for some of the amazing songs she’s already written and some of the variety she has already achieved. The depth of subject matter in Daughter, Say Uncle, Decade and One, Shasta, or Passage. The great stories like the Tower or Homecoming. Love songs (romantic and otherwise) like Eric’s Song, the Atheist Christmas Carol, and Momentum. And great musical variety in songs like Harbor, Enough to Go By, Shasta, Unwritten Letter No 1, and Hope on Fire. And on and on.

I hope she won’t discard a new song just because it might have made a good home on Waking Hour or Warm Strangers. A new album with a handful of songs that would have fit in on Waking Hour, a few that would have fit in on Warm Strangers, and several completely new and different would still be a great achievement moving Vienna to the next level.

Perfection can be the enemy of the good or even the great. And I’m not sure you can sit down and try to write masterpieces. Instead, if you effectively tell your story, translate your passion, or communicate your emotional connection to a subject, then I think you’ve achieved success. And if you continue to experiment with new sounds, you’ll naturally keep your music fresh. But I’m worried if you screen out too much too early in the process, you might be discarding something that might have surprised you when you were done. You might just have achieved the masterpiece without realizing it. Or if not the masterpiece, something truly great nonetheless.

Screening can always take place later. If something isn’t up to your standards after it’s done or 90% finished, it never has to make it to the CD. And the time spent on the songs that don’t make it will still have been valuable exercise, helping to keep your translation skills fit.

So it is great that Vienna is challenging herself! And I'm with the others that encourage her aim for the edge--wherever she sees that next step in her growth as a musician. I just hope that she’s not pressing too hard, with memories of those few critical reviews still echoing in her head. I think the next level that she’s looking for will come naturally as she finds her writing voice again, particularly since she has been continuing her musical journey as both a consumer of music and a writer/performer.

Just one selfish request on my part……never abandon the piano! Vienna’s piano playing is truly amazing, and I hope it remains central to her music, no matter what other direction she goes.

TRM
Cool Stranger

Postby TRM » Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:32 pm

That was a very insightful post jblittle. I hope Vienna sees it.

TRM

Return to “The Cafe”