A Strange and Warm 2013

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

chigaijin
Warm Stranger

A Strange and Warm 2013

Postby chigaijin » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:40 am

A year ago I came to the holiday show with a plan: wear name tags in order to meet other Bay Area fans. This was my first Freight show.

aaparallel wrote: Hey, that's a nice idea! I'm not sure how many Bay Area forumites who don't already know each other will be at the show, but I would love to meet you.

She was right, but that didn't stop her and several others from introducing themselves, and even obliging me by putting on name tags themselves.

It might have ended there, but in the meet-and-greet afterwards Vienna said something like "oh, you're the one who started that". That gave me a new purpose: participate and generally make myself memorable enough to both Vienna and the Warm Strangers that you'd all, well, know who I am. (Arrogant much? Let's say in the pursuit of making friends.) So throughout the last year, I wore a name tag for every interaction I had, up through the Aims tour show in San Francisco in November.

And for this holiday show? I left the name tag at home, because that purpose is fulfilled. I now feel like I'm a part of this group. I've met and talked with many of you, online and in person—too many names to list. And Vienna knows who I am now. (! *dance*)

Thank you for the good times on StageIt and Concert Window, both last year and this year.

Thank you for the photos and videos.

Thank you for the puns and parodies and general camaraderie.

Thank you to a few of you in particular for unsolicited sympathy in a trying moment in April.

Thank you for commenting on and enjoying my mashup. (Also thank you for cringing and detesting my mashup. That's what it's there for.)

Thank you for allowing me to show off by posting that link again here.

Thank you for helping me and aaparallel put together a birthday video for Vienna. (Also thank you for putting up with me badgering people about being in it, and for forgiving me for not managing to get other people into it who might have wanted to be.)

Thank you for sharing your own creative efforts and for being interesting people.

Thank you for being Warm Strangers, and for making me one too.

See you in 2014.

Level up!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Michele
Strange

Re: A Strange and Warm 2013

Postby Michele » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:14 am

chigaijin wrote:And for this holiday show? I left the name tag at home, because that purpose is fulfilled. I now feel like I'm a part of this group. I've met and talked with many of you, online and in person—too many names to list. And Vienna knows who I am now. (! *dance*)

Hooray! Glad to see that it isn't too late to get in on and contribute to a long-time fandom. Happy new year! We'll have to figure out some things for meeting up since Vienna may not be back for quite a while...

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:21 pm

Yes, I think we'll all need to strive to keep things "alive" during this calendar year, since I'm anticipating that Vienna herself will be far less visible and "active" in a public way. So physical and online "meet ups" of our own are a very good idea!
Chris

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:00 pm

Happy New Year, Jordan!
And all the rest of you Warm Strangers, as well!

scot
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Return to “The Cafe”