Kickstarter campaign for the Level Up video

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

cmooreNC
Tengster

Kickstarter campaign for the Level Up video

Postby cmooreNC » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:14 pm

Is anyone else surprised that we don't yet have a discussion thread on this subject here yet? (nor any mention of the campaign on the home page, for that matter ---- I'm assuming something will show up once it goes live at noon today)

What do y'all think?

Good idea? Great idea? Are you going to support it? Do you like the premium offerings for the various support levels?

By the way, I'm not asking folks to reveal their $ levels, unless readers want to reveal that information. I'm just curious what people think....
Chris

Steve
Hot Stranger

Re: Kickstarter campaign for the Level Up video

Postby Steve » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:42 pm

I'll be there in a half hour, for sure! Since I'd already pre-ordered one of the special CD packs (and money is a little tight right now) I won't be going for a $$$ Kickstarter package, but I like the idea of the video stills or memorabilia options. It'll be fun to see how fast the really special packages get picked up!

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:47 pm

The "cover song" level was gone in about 5 minutes, I think. There were only 10 available, of course, but still.... at $200 a pop they sure went fast! She definitely "priced" that option too low! :D
Chris

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:48 pm

It is up on the home page now, obviously. Although the "August 30th" end date is not correct. That was probably the original goal and then there was a little timing delay in getting started, which postponed the end date to September 3rd. Labor Day weekend also threw a bit of a monkey wrench in for that end date, I'm guessing.
Chris

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:24 pm

After putting a whole ton of thought into rewards, it's really interesting to see what people end up going for.

I knew the covers would go fast and I had suggested she up the price on them a little, but wow. :)

Tickled to see Mark Johnson (the director of the "Gravity" video) in the backer list!

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:31 pm

I'm not sure if she truly knew previously how much she is loved and admired. But I think she will now.... :wink: :D
Chris

Steve
Hot Stranger

Postby Steve » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:56 pm

Looks like it will last about five hours. I wonder how many other Kickstarter campaigns finish up that quickly?!

It also looks like someone is definitely guaranteed to get his/her questions answered in the online Q&A session(s)!

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:19 pm

Actually, I think the goal was reached with that one big $5k backer who stepped up right about 5 pm edt. He or she put it over $24k, I believe. But the campaign will still run the full 21 days, so it doesn't end by hitting the $20k goal. It's looking pretty good that she can cover her Kickstarter costs (about 8%) and hopefully all of her premium reward costs, too, such that she won't have to go out of pocket on producing the video. Having a contingency for the video production would also be a great cushion to have, I'm sure.

It will be interesting to keep watching and see where it goes from here.

Pretty amazing response, so far. I'm quite impressed. :D
Chris

katar
Cool Stranger

Postby katar » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:30 pm

cmooreNC wrote:I'm not sure if she truly knew previously how much she is loved and admired. But I think she will now.... :wink: :D

Exactly.
There is a lot of wordy text justifying the project's existence and a quid pro quo voice to the whole thing.
The reality is that many people love her. Just having an outlet to express that is "reward" enough.

The next task is to come up with ideas for the overflow funds. I would suggest funding a compilation of VT covers by country & bluegrass artists called "Vienna Twang". A great idea. Of course there are many other VT songs that need music videos.

As an aside, I've been wanting to mention Sarah McLachlan's video for her song, "World on Fire" on this board. There.
The lover knows much more about absolute good and universal beauty than any logician or theologian, unless the latter, too, be lovers in disguise. --George Santayana

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:32 pm

Steve wrote:It also looks like someone is definitely guaranteed to get his/her questions answered in the online Q&A session(s)!

I was referring to that reward with my "what people choose" comment earlier. (Didn't have time at the time to elaborate.) It seems people want Stuff (the video stills) over a little bit of chat time. With FB/Twitter/post-show meetings all available, I guess the chat time isn't interesting to most people...but maybe of more value to people in places where they won't be able to meet her, and to people who want an in-depth answer, instead of (a scarce chance of getting) 140 characters. In terms of the campaign, it's like argh, one of our $50 levels [which we spent a lot of time trying to work out] isn't selling! :lol:

I was tickled, once again, when I saw Toad The Wet Sprocket backed the project (and Vienna had backed Toad's new album, earlier), but I cried (from joy! :oops:) when I saw Glen Phillips' post on Twitter.

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:46 pm

katar wrote:There is a lot of wordy text justifying the project's existence and a quid pro quo voice to the whole thing.
The reality is that many people love her. Just having an outlet to express that is "reward" enough.

By putting this on Kickstarter, she needed to give a bit of backstory to people who don't know her at all. It looks like it worked out to the fans' favor too, since people like the tone and content, her usual way with words and quirk are all in there. Seeing her write a bit more than a status update is rare these days, and her online fan engagement with this (who else provides their campaign draft to the public for suggestions? Nobody!) has been through the roof - I'll very gladly take it. :D

While I'm guessing she wanted to do Kickstarter because she had already come up with a draft, and wanted the visibility, it looks like PledgeMusic might have been more flexible so people could choose more than one reward, and also put more money in. I have to wonder if she'd consider switching if/when there's a next time.

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:25 am

Michele wrote: Seeing her write a bit more than a status update is rare these days, and her online fan engagement with this (who else provides their campaign draft to the public for suggestions? Nobody!) has been through the roof - I'll very gladly take it. :D

You've sure got that right, Michele. Getting many people involved in advance of the actual campaign kickoff was absolutely brilliant. How could those who participated not back the campaign after she'd given us a draft, asked for feedback and then actually incorporated our suggestions into the end campaign "document?" Whether that was a deliberate move on her part or not (and personally I'd guess that it wasn't, as I think it was just Vienna being Vienna and honestly seeking "fine tuning" feedback), it certainly worked to perfection!
Chris

chigaijin
Warm Stranger

Postby chigaijin » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:53 am

katar wrote:The next task is to come up with ideas for the overflow funds. I would suggest funding a compilation of VT covers by country & bluegrass artists called "Vienna Twang". A great idea.

I literally burst out laughing at this. It's a good thing no one's home. Thanks for that, katar.

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:50 am

I am totally not surprised that Vienna's campaign reached its goal the first day. It will be fun to see how much higher it goes now.

I agree that the unpopularity of the Q&A reward is likely an indication of Vienna's general openness with her fans and public. She continues to amaze me with her dedication, drive for meaning, and openness.

s
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:27 pm

$41,724 as of now (just a little before 10 am, edt), so the "goal" has been more than doubled in less than two days. I don't know what I am most impressed with --- that it continues to "roll on" well after the monetary goal was reached, or that both of the $5,000 level pledges have been taken, or that 4 out of 5 of the $1,000 pledges are "occupied," or that the "average" pledge is almost $80 (which I realize is a factor of the higher slots being filled, so this will undoubtedly drop somewhat over the remaining 19 days). But "impressed" does not mean "surprised." I truly hope this gives her some "eye opening" knowledge about her fan base and how much we are willing to support her.

She's got some very cool fans. :D
Chris

Return to “The Cafe”