Tengster

Charlotte coverage (7/20/13)

Postby cmooreNC » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:41 pm

Chris

Ang Mo
Tengster

Re: Charlotte coverage (7/20/13)

Postby Ang Mo » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:52 am

I am a little shocked to read that Vienna wants to live in Detroit. Detroit is not really on the hot list at the moment as a place to live and the city has just filed bankruptcy. Not sure if that is the place to keep the career going. It sounds sort of like the idea of sending mosquitoes to cure malaria. It doesn't make any sense at all, sort of like some of my posts here.

I always imagined her living in a place like Lucca, Italy the birthplace of Puccini or maybe Interlaken, Switzerland, or on the island of Zanzibar, or perhaps at Chateau De Villandry in the Loire Valley of France, and last but not least San Luis Obispo or perhaps Mendocino with those big thoughtful Hobbit Eyes looking out at the sea

Alas, did anyone else wonder about her choice of residency?
Pascal told only half the story. He said man was a thinking reed. What man is, is a thinking reed and a walking genital."

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:30 pm

Ang Mo wrote:I am a little shocked to read that Vienna wants to live in Detroit.

No "wants to" about it. She does. She moved there shortly after graduation. In talking with her here in Charlotte yesterday (spent quite a bit of time with her, doing things like taking her to the wrong place for a radio interview and other screwy stuff like that! - :oops: ) I think it is the right place for her to be. Why not live where you feel you can have the most impact? Besides, she has fallen in love with Michigan during her most recent studies. She's happy there. And of course she will still be traveling a lot, whether for music or her new consultancy position, so it's not like she's going to change into someone who is just hunkered down where she lives.

Ang Mo wrote:It doesn't make any sense at all, sort of like some of my posts here.

Well, I can't argue with that point... :lol:

Ang Mo wrote:Not sure if that is the place to keep the career going.

She's not affiliated with a label anymore. So there's no particular place she needs to be to write and record. Look at The Hymn of Acxiom. I think it will prove itself to be the most "ear catching" and "career building" song of her life to date, as it's already off to a good start in that direction. Yet she basically wrote it (and recorded a marvelous "draft" of it, that is quite close to the eventual finished product) in her home, while she was still in school. Where she physically lives isn't going to have anywhere near the influence on her music now that it has in the past. I think I've discovered something new about her these past few days... her muse doesn't feed off other musicians as much as some songwriters. Instead it is often fueled more by her life experiences. And she has found that she doesn't want to live "music" all of the time. That's okay. It's just part of who she is.

Finally, keep in mind that come February her primary "career" is going to be a sustainability consultancy position, at least for the next five to 10 years. She admitted this during her on-air interview with Mike Collins yesterday morning. I don't think he caught what she was saying when she gave that answer, as it was very near the end of their on-air time and I think he was a little focused on wrapping things up smoothly. But when she said "I'm pretty sure I know what I'm going to be doing for the next five to 10 years" it was pretty simple for the listener to assume that she was talking about continuing her music career. She wasn't. She was talking about the new position she's been hired for. Right now she is very much focused on the album release and the tour to support that release. But when she was talking about the next 5 to 10 years, she was speaking about the new job. I confirmed that with her afterward.

As I think we know quite well by now, this woman doesn't do anything "half-assed." Right now, she is 100% into the music career. But it's for a very short and concentrated time period of about eight months (including the time that has already passed since her graduation). February will bring something new for her to focus on, at least for awhile. And I think that Detroit will be the right place for her to do that.
Chris

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:29 pm

I think it is the right place for her to be. Why not live where you feel you can have the most impact? Besides, she has fallen in love with Michigan during her most recent studies. She's happy there.

.....but wait, I think these locations bring better happiness....http://www.chateauvillandry.fr/
http://www.italyguides.it/us/italy/tuscany/lucca/lucca.htm or http://www.zanzibartourism.net/
or http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g32701-Mendocino_California-Vacations.html orhttp://www.visitslo.com/orhttp://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g188081-Interlaken_Bernese_Oberland-Vacations.html I maybe crazy, but I have good taste in real estate!

Whatever makes her happiest is the best choice. It is just hard for me to visualize happiness in Detroit.http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1882089,00.html This reminds me of the dialogue between the William Holden character and the Alec Guinness character in Bridge on the River Kwai where Holden tells Guinness that civilization did not exist in the prison camp and Guinness responds, "We must introduce it" By the end of the movie you can figure out who was correct in their diagnosis of the situation.
Pascal told only half the story. He said man was a thinking reed. What man is, is a thinking reed and a walking genital."

katar
Cool Stranger

Postby katar » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:02 pm

Ang Mo wrote:I always imagined her living in a place like Lucca, Italy the birthplace of Puccini or maybe Interlaken, Switzerland, or on the island of Zanzibar, or perhaps at Chateau De Villandry in the Loire Valley of France, and last but not least San Luis Obispo or perhaps Mendocino with those big thoughtful Hobbit Eyes looking out at the sea

Alas, did anyone else wonder about her choice of residency?

I always thought she would sit in her throne room all day sipping $900 wine and being fanned by Ford models with giant palm tree leaves.
Seriously though, she bothered to get an MBA at Michigan in sustainable business development (or whatever it is), and the nearest metro area just so happens to be in dire need of business development. I'm sure Detroit will be undergoing massive rebuilding so one would think it would offer exciting career opportunities for VT from a purely selfish point of view (even though I don't think that would be her main motivation). Anyway good for her, good for Detroit. Everyone wins. Group hug.
The lover knows much more about absolute good and universal beauty than any logician or theologian, unless the latter, too, be lovers in disguise. --George Santayana

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:20 pm

I was thinking more along the lines of $1,500.00 bottles of wine but it is a moot point. There seemed to be some sort of veiled reason that cmooreNC was not revealing. I hope she did not fall in love with that professor there I never approved of. He just seemed so wrong for her, not that I ever met him or even know if he exists.........

Anyhow it seems she has made her choice and as I said before though no one even noticed, if it makes her happy so be it.

Anyhow I am hungry for cevap and a diet coke. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOUW0lnUrEs Off I go until the next time.

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:38 pm

Call me crazy, but I am getting the distinct impression that very little of the discussion here is of a "serious" nature. :lol:
Chris

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:38 am

Obviously you have never seen me eat Cevap or you would genuinely know how serious food is....not to mention this particular thread.
I am shocked that others have not posted. They should read the article you posted. Look at the history of Vienna Teng. When I first came here she was a die hard Californian living on Mission Street (even wrote a song about it) and then there was the New York transcontinental migration (I think she wrote a song about it), then she kind of semi retires and goes back into school at Michigan of all places, she still performs however, then suddenly earlier this year I am kind of thinking she is headed back to California due to the play she wrote the music for The Fourth Messenger and I thought maybe she would switch gears and maybe even do a motion picture soundtrack and I was kinda hoping for that because it would be really cool, but then I read this latest article and it kind of knocked me off balance because it seemed to once again go a different direction which I did not expect. I find that fascinating, but apparently hardly anyone else does.

Regardless, I still find it fascinating.

Return to “The Cafe”