Today's coverage in USA Today...

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

cmooreNC
Tengster

Today's coverage in USA Today...

Postby cmooreNC » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:14 pm

This place sure has been quiet lately. I was expecting a big activity uptick when Vienna returned to the road this week, but it seems like everything is "happening" on Facebook these days. Well, I'm an old fart who still likes posting on the message boards here. So I'm not going down without a struggle! :D

So, what do y'all think of the coverage in USA Today? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/musi ... r/2509797/

Is it a sign of bigger things to come? Or is it just an abnormal blip on the radar screen?
Chris

Michele
Strange

Re: Today's coverage in USA Today...

Postby Michele » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:24 pm

I guess it's too soon to tell - the sharing looks great, but I'm glad I woke up early this morning to make screencaps, because it's way way down the Life page already. So I think the coverage just by itself is a blip, but if the right person sees and shares it, it could be much bigger.

A few months out, when the album is actually released, I expect/hope there will be a bigger splash from the traditional music hubs than with previous albums. Maybe I'll be wrong, and they'll pick up on the sampler today.

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:49 pm

Is the story in their "hard copy" editions, too? Or is it strictly an online thing?

I guess I need to go out and buy a copy to find out!

A hard copy cutout from the paper might prove to be a nice scrapbook item.

And if it is in there, it could definitely aid in giving the exposure some legs for at least a few days.
Chris

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:53 am

I think it will help. The paper gets circulated through all the McDonalds, where billions and billions are served, so I am sure that the coverage could help and the article might take their minds off what they are eating in there and the calorie count as well, so I am very hopeful it will help bring a little anticipated kick start to the album and get some extra word of mouth going. It is a national paper so it should help. Plus you get to hear three songs on the album. Yet another big difference between the fourth and fifth album it seemed to me. Did it seem that way to all of you? I am basing this on the three songs but there once again seems to be a shift. Is that because of Vienna changing things up or does the producer steer the musical course?
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.” Sinclair Lewis

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:22 pm

I think the album announcement post covers it and there will be lots more about it as more interviews are done, but yes, this is a conscious shift. It's one she's been heading for throughout her career (see Estonia songs and Augustine), it's just taken a while.

Here are my screencaps:
Life headline/feature
Life story with the other stories around it
The Big Page (toggle the lightbox/fullscreen for this one)

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:57 pm

Good grabs, Michele. Has anyone seen a hard copy of Friday's edition? Is it in there? I'd like to go out and get one, but not sure I want to go to a McDonald's! :wink:
Chris

katar
Cool Stranger

Postby katar » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:03 pm

Pretty rad to see Vienna Teng front and center, and those clowns Rih-Rih and The Beebs in small print at the margin of the USAToday page. :)

The 3 tunes from the new album are fantastic. Very innovative I would say; VT is venturing further from her original "plaintive girl + piano" formula. I like the rhyme-pair, "sequester" and "empty-nester".

Somewhat off-topic, but after finding out what "acxiom" actually is today, I was wondering about IP issues that may arise from a song titled after a corporate trademark, especially where the song's voice is the company "we".

Anyway, much LOVE for V.T. <3 <3 <3
The lover knows much more about absolute good and universal beauty than any logician or theologian, unless the latter, too, be lovers in disguise. --George Santayana

jblittle
Warm Stranger

Postby jblittle » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:43 am

Hard to tell without the rest of the album, but to me based on these three songs it seems like a natural progression. Not too far afield from White Light, Grandmother Song, Augustine, Gringo, and Radio from Inland Territory. And I think Vienna would get bored with the same old thing without continuing to push her music into slightly new territory. Actually, when I think about her albums, Inland Territory seems like a more natural successor to Waking Hour than either Warm Strangers or Dreaming Through the Noise--more like the album she truly wanted to make. And these three songs so far seem like a natural successor to Inland Territory, although that really depends on the rest of the songs on the album. I'm hoping I'll end up liking her new album as well as her previous albums, but even if I don't it's exciting to have new music from Vienna, and I wish her the best with the album.

Return to “The Cafe”