Paul/The Man in Blue

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Ginny
Tengster

Re: Paul/The Man in Blue

Postby Ginny » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:31 pm

Paul was a really good guy. I'd been wondering how he was doing and then saw Vienna's post on Facebook last night. Paul always saved me a good seat at the shows when I couldn't get there early. I remember sitting with him in his car one night and him digging out a stack of his favorite CDs for me to take home--all by musicians with whom I was unfamiliar, and after one particularly late night he offered to get me a hotel room if I didn't want to drive the 2hrs back home. Paul was unfailingly generous, kind, and thoughtful, and I am sad knowing he's no longer in this world. It's nice to read so many good memories from other Vienna fans. We were all lucky to know him.
"I'm going crazy a little every day. Everything I wanted is now driving me away." ~Sheryl Crow (Home)

Amy @ Deep South
Cool Stranger

Postby Amy @ Deep South » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:30 pm

It is so sad to hear this news. I've been meaning to come and post something. Paul was a very sweet man and very devoted fan. He will truly be missed!

mes70
Cool Stranger

Postby mes70 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:09 am

I am deeply saddened to hear of Paul's passing. I met him at a couple of shows in the Boston area. Really nice guy.

dbeattie
Hot Stranger

Postby dbeattie » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:00 am

I had the pleasure of meeting Paul on several occasions. The first few were at shows at some of my regular haunts (San Diego, where I live, Los Angeles, Schuba's Tavern in Chicago), during the years when he was a fixture at Vienna's shows. He usually arrived early, and I was aware that Vienna was gracious enough to let him observe sound check many times.

Once I came to discover my role in the Vienna Teng fan community, as her official sheet music transcriber, Paul was quite helpful along the way. I think he only sent me recordings 2-3 times, but knowing how valuable it was to me to have certain rare recordings, whether it was freshly-recorded live versions of a new album that weren't posted online yet anywhere, so I could have enough source material to make sheet music, or a rare live recording that nobody else had, for example Vienna performing Mission Street live on guitar, which was critical for me to edit that song properly, Paul went out of his way to provide these for me... and he never asked for a cent in return. It's true that his quiet, yet constant presence for a period of a few years at Vienna's shows, left many of us bewildered and a little worried about him. But it was impossible to deny his honesty, sincerity, and generosity.

Paul gave me a business card, once, which I am sure I still have somewhere. On it, he described himself as Vienna Teng's archivist, an unpaid "profession" for which he volunteered, at his own expense! The happiest among us find our niche, our calling in life, and throw ourselves into it, and hope the money from other sources is enough to support our passions. My passion, the niche into which I fit, is to transcribe and arrange good music for performance and publication in written form.--I find myself driven to do this work, and always wishing I had more time for it. Similarly, Paul's calling, for the few years that we knew him, was to listen and appreciate, and collect and preserve in recordings, the life work of musical artists like Vienna who may never garner the worship that is awarded in our society to a few, select, better known yet less skilled performers. His singular focus in doing so for the musical community surrounding one artist in particular may have seemed excessive, to the naïve, but in an absolute sense, he knew they deserved it, and he did it because he could. And I'm sure he was happy. This was his gift, to Vienna, and to us.

And I, for one, am thankful for it.

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:22 pm

Well said. Thanks for sharing your thoughts of tribute to Paul.
Chris

sheeba
Hot Stranger

Postby sheeba » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:37 pm

So sad to hear this. Was wondering where he was at the recent WCL show. I hung out with The Man at numerous shows. He was a lovely person.

Kay
Cool Stranger

Postby Kay » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:42 am

This is such sad news. Paul was by far the nicest and most generous fan - of any artist - I've ever met. Several of my best show memories would have never happened without him, and it's very moving to see that this is true of so many other people here. Rest in peace.

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:52 pm

We dedicated the evening to Paul at the Charlotte show on July 20th. It was very special and I'm sure he was "smiling down" on us that night. I spoke about him briefly before Alex's opening set began and Vienna began her set with "Say Uncle" after mentioning him.

"we shall keep the man...." :)
Chris

Return to “The Cafe”