Multi-language, kewl !

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Eric
Getting Stranger

Postby Eric » Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:23 pm

Yeah, the CNN showtime kind of slipped through the cracks on the news page. I probably should have just put something up without being told to do so by the higher-ups. :o
- Eric Miller: occasional forum admin, occasional webmaster -

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:47 pm

Klaorman wrote:Norah's "Don't Know Why" and "Come Away With Me" were huge hits and I do enjoy them, but the rest of her album just doesn't do it for me. And yet she sold at least 8 million copies and won 4 Grammies! Is it her music, is it luck, or does she have a high-powered promotion machine? How do we (yes, we; I've been telling everyone I know about Vienna; some get it, some don't) get Vienna to this level? On the other hand, does she even want to reach this level?

Ha, How many Grammy Award winners do we know who were flash-in-the-pans? We'll judge Norah by what she does in the future. I would guess that both luck and a high-powered promotion machines played a part in her success.

As we know, there is plenty of material that is wildly popular that is not of high quality, so popularity and quality are not synonomous. Some friends will love Vienna, some will sell her CD back. Not everyone likes everything.

I think Vienna would abhor being as popular as Norah Jones, with the inherent pressures and expectations. There is some pressure, on a much smaller scale, on Vienna, to equal or top the quality of Waking Hour, when her next album is released.

Norm

Appearance on Grammys?

Postby Appearance on Grammys? » Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:30 am

I was looking at the pictures...so did she perform at the Grammys? What did she play?

wolding
Warm Stranger

Postby wolding » Fri Jun 20, 2003 4:05 am

Hello Klaorman, Thanks for creating the Green Island Serenade file! And thanks to Eric for posting it!
I was able to run it through my Cakewalk Sonar setup and clean it up a little and make an mp3. The hiss is gone, but the high pitched tone is still there a little. The mp3 is 3.83MB - a little bigger than your wav file. Just for fun, I converted the CNN profile from video tape to mp2. The 5 minute broadcast turned into a 75.7MB file! I don't subscribe to cable so I asked three people to record it for me. Good thing, too, because I got one good copy out of the three requests. btw, This is truly a great forum community!!

Klaorman
Getting Stranger

Postby Klaorman » Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:55 am

Hi everyone! My coworker pointed me to a very nice recorder that costs the princely sum of $11.95! It's called Total Recorder from <a href='http://www.highcriteria.com/' target='_blank'>High Criteria, Inc.</a>. I tried out the shareware version and it worked for me, so I quickly laid out the 12 bucks (fastest shareware purchase ever...actually the -only- shareware purchase ever). Wow, what a sacrifice! :P

And the result?

Voila! A new version of Green Island Serenade, recorded during the Freight and Salvage concert in Berkeley on June 21:

<a href='http://home.attbi.com/~klaorman1/Green_Island_Serenade_-_Vienna_Teng.mp3' target='_blank'>Green Island Serenade</a> (4.83 MB)

The sound is much better than the original, with very little hiss. Vienna also plays a real Yamaha grand (as opposed to her Yamaha keyboard that she usually lugs around). She's also funnier in her intro to the song. In fact, during the entire concert she was just cracking us all up with her extended song intros.

Enjoy! Photos from the concert coming soon...

Klaorman
Klaorman

Alethia Su
Cool Stranger

Postby Alethia Su » Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:57 pm

Yeah, I'm trying to catch up on these message boards...hard task...but thank you, Klaorman! Wonderful of you to do that for the rest of us fans...the song's pretty beautiful, ain't it? Unfortunately, I didn't catch the CNN bit, but I heard it was fair to good! ^_^ She's getting bigger...am I the only one that's glad she's not still a software programmer?
No. Didn't think so.
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.<br>-Douglas Adams

andrys
Cool Stranger

Postby andrys » Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:15 pm

Klaorman wrote:
Thanks for the compliments about my photos. I really enjoy taking people shots, capturing unique moments and facial expressions. If I follow my dreams I'd be taking photos for a living (guess what? I'm also a software engineer). But success in the photo industry demands excellent customer relations and business acumen, and I'm the farthest thing from personable and business-savvy (well ok, maybe not -that- far :D).

Thanks for pointing me to musicmatch. It looks like only their paid version lets me record from line-in; the free version only records from CDs. However, the price is $10 cheaper at $19.95. Hmmm...

Klaorman

Hi,
Thanks for all the extra info. I just got back here after a month! Will have some catching up to do, I guess. Was away at Yerkes Observatory (a new experience for me) also. I am on ONE of the mailing lists but apparently not the one that tells about tv events. Will change that eventually.

Yah, keep up with that photo hobby! Who knows? You might have a sideline in that someday. I'm a bit obsessed with my first digital camera, in my own case.

As for our careers, I left a freelancing thing (12 years) as a Novell engineer. Fun while I could stand the late hours.
<a href='http://andrys.com' target='_blank'>Andrys</a>

Return to “The Cafe”