The Fourth Messenger

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

aaparallel
Getting Stranger

Re: The Fourth Messenger

Postby aaparallel » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:31 am

cmooreNC wrote:On a somewhat related topic, I received an email from Pollstar a few days ago indicating that VT will be performing at Freight & Salvage on December 29 and 30. .

Pollstar/Songkick's reporting last year's holidays shows. Did that last year too - announced 2010's show at GAMH instead of the Freight shows. So don't fly out for the 29th and 30th! Hopefully you do catch her in MT though. Of all places.... :)
"Drowning my pain in lemonade. . . Singing along to 'feelin' alright'"

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:03 am

cmooreNC wrote:...we are thinking about making the trek to Hamilton, MT, for the performance on November 10th. We've never been there, but it sounds like a beautiful place. Not sure what the weather will be like in November, though....

I realized a little while ago that this is right after a conference I think I'll be attending in SF. The thought of returning indirectly via MT occurred to me; basically getting a show in a distant, exotic location with at least some of the airfare on the expense account. Not a sure thing by any means, and yes the weather might be quite interesting up there by then. Not even sure I'm *taking* the SF trip.
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

aaparallel
Getting Stranger

Postby aaparallel » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:16 am

Fred wrote:Not even sure I'm *taking* the SF trip.
Well if you do and you have some free time, let me know. :)

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:38 am

aaparallel wrote:
Fred wrote:Not even sure I'm *taking* the SF trip.
Well if you do and you have some free time, let me know. :)

Sure. Meeting's Nov. 2-7, but probably nothing of interest to me until Sunday at the earliest, so I'll probably get there late Nov. 3 or Nov. 4. If I go at all. Assuming I do, I'll be stuck in the city w/o car. Chance of actually going to MT on the way back is very slim.

aaparallel
Getting Stranger

Postby aaparallel » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:19 pm

aaparallel wrote:
cmooreNC wrote:On a somewhat related topic, I received an email from Pollstar a few days ago indicating that VT will be performing at Freight & Salvage on December 29 and 30. .

Pollstar/Songkick's reporting last year's holidays shows. Did that last year too - announced 2010's show at GAMH instead of the Freight shows. So don't fly out for the 29th and 30th! Hopefully you do catch her in MT though. Of all places.... :)

OK, looks like there WILL be shows at The Freight on December 29 and 30. The Freight's site hasn't been updated, but they are on sale via the box office now.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:11 am

Report this postReply with quoteRe: The Fourth Messenger
by Fred » 29 Jul 2012 05:03 pm

cmooreNC wrote:
...we are thinking about making the trek to Hamilton, MT, for the performance on November 10th. We've never been there, but it sounds like a beautiful place. Not sure what the weather will be like in November, though....
I realized a little while ago that this is right after a conference I think I'll be attending in SF. The thought of returning indirectly via MT occurred to me; basically getting a show in a distant, exotic location with at least some of the airfare on the expense account. Not a sure thing by any means, and yes the weather might be quite interesting up there by then. Not even sure I'm *taking* the SF trip.

I would highly recommend the Montana trip, especially if you are also into fly fishing. Even if you are not, the scenery is spectacular. However, the weather can be very cold but since there has been so much drought I think it might be more merciful compared to years past. Missoula is only 45 miles north and the University of Montana is quite beautiful. I think that is why Hemmingway included it in one of his novels. I think it was "For whom the Bell Tolls" but I am not willing to bet my life on it........
Pascal told only half the story. He said man was a thinking reed. What man is, is a thinking reed and a walking genital."

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:52 pm

We're going! (to Montana, that is) Yay! Although Vienna has told me that there should be some extensive touring in the plans for 2013 (double yay!!) and that we shouldn't make the trip all that way just to see her perform. Noogies! We are! :lol:

Flying into Missoula on Friday night and flying back on Sunday. It should be an interesting trek.

Fred --- Come join us! (allthough I must admit that airfare into that part of the world is horribly expensive, as apparently there's not all that much competition... so low supply = high prices) Oh, well. If there was ever a reason for us to check out Montana, apparently this will be it. And we're not even into fly fishing... :D
Chris

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:49 pm

Chris - Return from SF via MT isn't going to work out because of new bureaucratic method of booking trips at my school. Vienna's little set at Rockwood, which happened after I first thought of this, will tide me over until her tour, I guess. Hope you all have a great time up there!

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:13 am

Fred wrote:Chris - Return from SF via MT isn't going to work out because of new bureaucratic method of booking trips at my school. Vienna's little set at Rockwood, which happened after I first thought of this, will tide me over until her tour, I guess. Hope you all have a great time up there!

Sorry we won't see you there, Fred. Maybe one of these days we'll meet up!
Chris

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:42 am

Back to the topic of the original post (and subject lines).... hard to believe that it finally opens next week. It's been a very real labor of love. We fly out on Thursday. So looking forward to it! :D
Chris

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:57 pm

Preview night #1 was a rousing success, in my opinion 8) It's exciting to see so much hard work over the years fully come to life. Wishing all involved a great run!

For those of you who can't go, I took some bad pics of Tanya's and Vienna's notes in the program. If you're going tomorrow, I suggest to stay strong and not to peek! Reading the notes made a big impact on me while waiting for the show to start. Also, you can mostly read the song lists that snuck in on the edges of the pics.

Oh, I almost forgot - all tickets are GA, but when the lobby doors open an hour before the show, you can pick your seats. You can then hang around and wait for theater doors to open half an hour afterward, or come back later.

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:49 pm

I must echo Michele's comments, as my wife and I had the pleasure of seeing "preview #2" last night. Other than some minor "how long should we pause here for applause, or should we pause at all?" moments (which will obviously become more refined as the run goes on... it is impossible, I think, to gauge such things before you're actually presenting before a live audience) things went very smoothly and, although I am biased, the performance was even more than I was expecting. Moving, funny, well performed... you name it, this cast and crew have knocked it out of the park and have obviously worked extremely hard to bring the musical to this level.

As a side note, my wife turned to me at intermission and expressed her call on the "surprise" of the second act. She nailed it. Yes, there are some hints in the first act. But it's not blatantly obvious. (I don't want to spoil it for anyone, so I won't reveal that surprise here.)

We spoke with Vienna briefly afterward (it was her first time seeing the "finished product," too, as she flew in just a few hours before showtime) and she expressed concern that there were too many first act "hints" revealing the secret of the second act. Then she admitted that she'd known the story line for so long and had been so involved in this production that "I really can't tell because I'm so close to the whole thing." We assured her that the hints were not blatant and definitely did not spoil the punch of the second act.

For those of you out here in the SF Bay area.... get to the Ashby Stage before this show closes. You won't be sorry.

As a side note, it is fascinating to see a "full musical story" composed by Vienna. For a first attempt, it's amazing. But did we really expect anything less?
Chris

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:15 pm

cmooreNC wrote:As a side note, my wife turned to me at intermission and expressed her call on the "surprise" of the second act. She nailed it. Yes, there are some hints in the first act. But it's not blatantly obvious. (I don't want to spoil it for anyone, so I won't reveal that surprise here.)

We spoke with Vienna briefly afterward (it was her first time seeing the "finished product," too, as she flew in just a few hours before showtime) and she expressed concern that there were too many first act "hints" revealing the secret of the second act. Then she admitted that she'd known the story line for so long and had been so involved in this production that "I really can't tell because I'm so close to the whole thing." We assured her that the hints were not blatant and definitely did not spoil the punch of the second act.

As with any story, I think some people will figure it out early and/or see it as obvious, and some people really won't know until the reveal. (I tend to be in the latter category.) I think it was a lot more telling in earlier versions, and the current one has a much better balance. I'll be more detailed about my thoughts on this and other plot elements after Saturday's show - most of the forum is seeing it tonight, I think. But uh...as I mentioned upthread, the e-mail that went out last year about the IndieGogo campaign laid out everything already...

See you all tonight! Whee!

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:51 pm

My wife and I shared a wonderful pre-show dinner with Vienna and Tanya on Friday before seeing the preview that night. Then we drove up to Muir Woods for a very pleasant "hike" on Saturday mid-day. Finally we wrapped up a great trip with the "opening night" and post-show festivities last night.

Now we're on a flight from SFO to MSP (where I half expect to run down to the baggage claim area and find VT playing piano there.... no, hopefully that won't happen to her on this trip if she has to connect through that airport again on her return), where we will connect to our flight to CLT.

My wife and I have taken many, many trips over the years. But all in all this one has simply been one of the greatest we've experienced.

Our thanks to all the cast and crew for letting us play our small part in making this wonderful musical come to life. It has been an honor. And may this "birth" be only the beginning of a long and glorious life. This one has what it takes to have some serious legs, folks. But the professional theatrical world is such an expensive place. I'm sure it will take some serious funding to make the next steps.

But who knows what the future may hold? :D
Chris

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:34 pm

cmooreNC wrote:My wife and I have taken many, many trips over the years. But all in all this one has simply been one of the greatest we've experienced.

Glad you both had an excellent time out here!

cmooreNC wrote:Our thanks to all the cast and crew for letting us play our small part in making this wonderful musical come to life. It has been an honor. And may this "birth" be only the beginning of a long and glorious life. This one has what it takes to have some serious legs, folks. But the professional theatrical world is such an expensive place. I'm sure it will take some serious funding to make the next steps.

But who knows what the future may hold? :D

A couple of the reviews have mentioned this can go on too, which is very encouraging. (The reviews have also said pretty much everything I observed about the musical, so I won't write my own, but I still plan to write up a bit about the changes over the years, and my own impression of it all.) But what I'd like to know is - is there a plan/arc for the musical going forward? Does it get actively shopped around, or do people go to Tanya/Matt to express interest in taking it somewhere else (do they even want to take it further)? How can we help to influence its future trajectory? How do we expose it to the right people to help it continue to grow and gain momentum? I know a few people who work/have worked in small local theaters, but not sure how to harness their networks other than to encourage them to see the show. I know that the Freight has a good friendly relationship with the Berkeley Rep which is directly across the street from them, and I have to think that could help somehow.

Return to “The Cafe”