Vienna should sing this cover of the song...........

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Ang Mo
Tengster

Vienna should sing this cover of the song...........

Postby Ang Mo » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:27 am

Haunted House http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlXOF__y920
which was written by Sam the Sham of Wooly Bully fame but I think Vienna could make a great modern day version of this song. Enjoy! Vienna needs to have a little levity in her musical library. It's a catchy tune!
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Fred
Tengster

Re: Vienna should sing this cover of the song...........

Postby Fred » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:52 pm

Ang Mo wrote:Haunted House http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlXOF__y920
which was written by Sam the Sham of Wooly Bully fame but I think Vienna could make a great modern day version of this song. Enjoy! Vienna needs to have a little levity in her musical library. It's a catchy tune!

Maybe that would make a good cover song for her, but I distrust my judgment on that.

Every couple of days I hear a song on the radio or somewhere and say, "Gee, I could hear Vienna sing that." At one time I guess I thought these songs might make good covers for her to do but over time I realized that I really can't predict what song is going to make a good cover for her, or, probably, anybody.

Great covers are almost by definition unexpected. Nice as it is, Richard Shindell covering Peter Gabriel's Mercy Street (which Vienna's also covered but I've never heard) doesn't really tell you something you didn't know about the song before--it's too similar to the original. I would not have picked Cannonball or Idioteque for Vienna to cover, and look how those came out! Bottom line, a great cover comes from the cover artist's own, different, mental take on the original, and unless one can get totally inside that cover artist's head, I doubt one can duplicate the process. I can't, anyway.
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:26 am

Well the Compton Brothers cover version went to #11 on the charts back in 1969 so maybe Vienna could make it go #1 in 2012! Besides the end of the world according to the Mayans should be about now and Haunted House by Vienna Teng might be a good send off.

I could be wrong I guess, but I think Vienna singing this song, with Alex doing the voice of the alien monster would be most enchanting and kind of a laid back spiritual experience for them. They seem so serious. It might be very theraputic.............
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:47 am

The theme to the film Monte Walsh by Cass Elliot also called Mama Cass
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZG3Fs-hN_o
Lee Marvin's best film in my opinion. This song fits Vienna's voice perfectly. I see it that way anyhow. :lol:

jacklance

Postby jacklance » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:37 pm

Ang Mo wrote:Haunted House http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlXOF__y920

They sure sound a lot like gene simmons :) Sure vienna can sing this in more better and catchy tone.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:17 am

[url]Sure vienna can sing this in more better and catchy tone.[/url]
I would be pleased as punch if she would take a stab at it. She needs to embrace her inner "Calvin and Hobbes" like she use to read when she was a child.

Cooler Near The Lake
Cool Stranger

Postby Cooler Near The Lake » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:09 am

Speaking of "Haunted...", I think that "Ghosts That We Knew" by Mumford & Sons, from their current release "Babel", would be an awesome song to cover by Vienna.
Or imagine this performed as duet by Marcus and Vienna ... heaven ... :roll:
sail your sea
meet your storm

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:32 am

Here is a great song by Jeff Lynne called "Save Me Now' that Vienna should cover. It would be perfect for her voice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvsb6ToVIBE

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:52 am

This song is sort of strange but I would like to see Vienna is a blue pin stripe business suit with that mini keyboard singing this song. Also she should wear those glasses I saw her wearing in a picture. That would be cool! Instead of German maybe substitute the Mandarin in its place.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNYcviXK4rg

chigaijin
Warm Stranger

Postby chigaijin » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:50 am

Ang Mo wrote:This song is sort of strange but I would like to see Vienna is a blue pin stripe business suit with that mini keyboard singing this song. Also she should wear those glasses I saw her wearing in a picture. That would be cool! Instead of German maybe substitute the Mandarin in its place.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNYcviXK4rg

At first I had no idea what was going on ("this guy likes strange music") but then the guitar came in, and suddenly it made sense as a really fun way to open a group concert. Maybe not strictly this, but the random, weakly coherent parts with just rhythm that eventually combine into something fun.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:04 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdccNAOvPHg

they used the song in a Super Bowl commercial for Volkswagen back in 1997

Return to “The Cafe”