Q&A with Vienna, May 2004

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

asTarael
Cool Stranger

Postby asTarael » Thu May 27, 2004 6:55 am

I've thought of another question: When you were at Stanford, did you ever play at the CoHo? I know that now students play pretty often in the evenings, and I was wondering if that's where you'd gotten started. (My brother had his first "solo concert" there tonight, so that's what made me think of it :) )
I really love and appreciate that you take time to sit and chat... what a fantastic thing in such a hectic world. Many thanks!
Tara

tontamoo
Warm Stranger

Postby tontamoo » Thu May 27, 2004 9:43 am

I have read from numerous articles that you started dabbling with various pen names/stage names as a child and settled with "Vienna Teng" in end. What were some of the other names in the running? :)

Thanks so much for taking your time to answer our questions, Vienna.

sheeba
Hot Stranger

Postby sheeba » Thu May 27, 2004 8:56 pm

How do you pick a producer for an album with so many producers out there? Do you or does your label decide or is it a joint effort? And what criteria do you use to decide? How much decision making authority do you have in terms of the final product?

zep
Cool Stranger

Postby zep » Thu May 27, 2004 9:01 pm

ok. new stab at a question

what was the first song you wrote? what caused you to write it?

WhiteUponBlack
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby WhiteUponBlack » Fri May 28, 2004 1:00 am

<a href='http://www.hometown.aol.com/koujitenrai' target='_blank'>My Webpage</a>

Hello Vienna! First off, let me communicate both my gratitude for and approval of this completely FABULOUS new way of direct communication with your fans! Your music is incredible, and I enjoy every moment of every song. Now, ::ahem:: here's my questions:

#1. Would you be so kind as to give an explanation of "My Medea", or at least as much of one as you can. My friend and I both love and ponder your music often, and while most of the other songs where quickly "understood" (at least to us...) this one was hard to swallow. As far as I can gather, it seems your speaking of a fear to love and give yourself wholly; holding back in a relationship...taking but not giving...maybe...? Please fill us in! ^^

#2. Do you like Jewel, the singer/songwriter? I'd define her style as drastically more "rugged" than your own...more raw, due mostly to the fact that she is usually accompanied by only the six strings of a guitar while the intricate, almost graceful sound of a piano is your "weapon of choice". Anyways...I highly recommend her material, although is she does throw her beliefs and opinions out much sooner than you. Thanks so much for your time and your music. Both mean so much to so many.
Signed, SongAgainstSilence
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Rats<br><br>There are rats in the rooms of my soul.<br>They gnaw at the walls and shred the floorboards with their claws.<br>They nest in my piles of discontent<br>And stir up the dust on long empty shelves.<br>They chase the sunlight away<br>And grate upon the silence of serenity with their jagged teeth.<br>They echo their horrid cries in the dead of the night<br>And keep me awake with fear.<br>Oh, how I loathe them!<br>If only they would leave<br>And let me be!<br>Yet<br>I will not let them. </span>

pbandjelly
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby pbandjelly » Fri May 28, 2004 8:27 pm

Caught your performance last night in PHX. Thoroughly enjoyed the show at the RhythmRoom although it was a little noisy in the back, but my new CD's will help sort that out. What are the chances that you'll produce sheet music for your songs (Harbor in particular), if you haven't already? I'm looking to feel the burn in my forearms having been away from the piano for a decade or two.

Thanks for sharing your talents and enjoy soaking up life!

funky
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby funky » Sun May 30, 2004 6:38 am

Hello Vienna
Ok, well I'd like to point out that I first heard your music on the late night show of David Letterman and I've gotta say that it totally blew me away. So I went on the internet, and even though I didn't remember your name, I searched the late show site and found it and finally I started reading all of your entries in your scrapbook from that time on. I've been meaning to buy your cd but haven't gotten around to it. And I've gotta say that your second cd seems like a new breath of fresh air. But my favorite song is by far "Lullabye For A Stormy Night".

Ok, and this may seem weird but my dreams these past few months have been very meaningful or so I think. But the other night I really believed that I met you and told you about how I discovered your music.

Oh and here is a heads up. There is this article about you on the website Asianavenue.com
I'm not asian but I am a member on that site :P but I've gotta point out that I have many asian friends, so that's why I joined.

Oh and I hope you consider coming to Montreal (Quebec, Canada) if ever you make it big, because I'm sure we're a bunch of people who would really appreciate your music.

Since I'm here, might as well add a bit of info about myself:
Student at the university of Sherbrooke
In computer science
Plays classical guitar since about 6 years
My favorite song to play on the guitar is "Aeris' Theme" from Final Fantasy VII

Here are some question:
What kinda style do you mostly play? and would you consider finger-picking on the guitar? and which song you would definitely love to learn on the guitar?
Do you anticipate appearing on any late night shows in the near future?

Anyways, in good tradition, keep on rocking
Good day aye
Just Funky

paralleluniverse
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby paralleluniverse » Sun May 30, 2004 11:32 pm

Hello Vienna:

Found out about you from my wife who heard you on NPR. Have played your latest CD at least 100 times. Harbor and Shasta are completely amazing.

Has anyone ever talked with you about using your music in a movie?

Are you coming to Boston to perform any time in the foreseeable future?

Your music is amazing.

Thank you.

Sarah_Azilis
Cool Stranger

Postby Sarah_Azilis » Mon May 31, 2004 12:36 am

Hi Vienna!

I have spent a staggering five minutes thinking and sadly have come up with only one intelligent question. I'll probably remember about ten more sometime around midnight, but I suppose that's just the way my mind works. In addition to all the performances you do, how many areas usually want you to do a show on local radio as well? I just thought of that because I heard you on XPN this afternoon (whether the show they were broadcasting was recent I'm not sure, I only caught the last three songs). Do you like playing for those as much as live performances?

Can't wait to see you in Philly next week! :)

murlough23
Warm Stranger

Postby murlough23 » Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:37 pm

I suppose I should join the fray. First, some nerdy musician questions:

1) What is your favorite chord? (Or chord change, since I guess a chord by itself is the equivalent of 11 others?)

2) What is your favorite time signature?

And then, some overly idealistic artist questions:

3) Do you intentionally set out to "think outside the box" and make every song you write different in some way, or does that just happen naturally?

4) Have you ever received any pressure to make "radio-friendly" music? What is your view of the requirements that seem to be in place in order for a song to find acceptance on your average radio station?

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:02 am

Could you write a song if someone just tossed out a topic? It has been said on this forum that you take requests at concerts and play them, but I was wondering if you could take a suggested topic and come up with a song. I have seen some entertainers do this on short notice and just sing out a song (not a full blown song, just a couple of verses or so, but pretty good for such short notice)
For example, if the topic was Postmarks. Now postmarks are a lot more than bureaucratic hieroglyphs. They are symbols of a sacred trust. That package or letter has been anointed and sealed like King Tut's tomb, we open it at great personal risk (especially if it is a bill). Some people look at a package as only a package, but I see it as the spice route to India, the headwaters of the Nile, the dark side of the moon, or terra incognita. Could you write a song about postmarks or any other topic?

I only ask because I wanted to post the 100th comment on this thread.
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.” Sinclair Lewis

emma
Cool Stranger

Postby emma » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:31 am

hi ms. vienna! here's an easy question:
do you have any plans on making a music video?
thanks so much! i really hope you'll perform in asia, particularly, here in the philippines some time in the future. and i'm also looking forward to your live album! =)

Vienna
Warm Stranger

Postby Vienna » Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:16 pm

Hi everyone...

Well, it's time to close the Q&A for now. I'm still composing answers, so stay on the lookout for more replies from me, but these are all the questions I can handle. :)

Thanks for participating! Maybe we'll do this again in the future.

sue0812
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby sue0812 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:22 pm

:lol: :lol:

Return to “The Cafe”