Vienna should write a song about.........

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Ang Mo
Tengster

Vienna should write a song about.........

Postby Ang Mo » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:16 am

I was thinking I was having a bad day, not as bad a day as Muammar al-Qaddafi to be quite honest, but a bad day none the less. The trick to brighten it up was to get out of work timely and meet up with my family for dinner. A pleasant dinner can bring you out of the depths of ill feelings and depression. So I cheered up a bit and starting studying the need for High Speed Rail.
http://enr.construction.com/opinions/viewpoint/2009/0427-HighSpeedRail.asp
It would be very beneficial for our country, could even help jumpstart the economy and at the same time reduce our dependence on fossil fuel.
I think Vienna should write a song about this. Someone should tell her over on facebook in case she does not read this.

Now I go to bed cheeful. Goodnight.
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.” Sinclair Lewis

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:31 pm

While I'm sure that there are routes for high speed rail that make economic sense (NE corridor, SF to LA, etc.), it seems like the ability of airlines to turn these and other competitive routes into loss leaders and make it up by charging ridiculous sums for routes where there is less competition makes it very hard for the rails to compete. Not quite sure how to make that work in a system where government subsidies are only for failed banks and car companies, corn, and airports.

I've taken the Acela to/from DC/NY any number of times, and it's not a bad way to go (even at decidedly subsonic speeds). The curiosity, I suppose, is why in a supposedly modern and luxurious mode of travel its lavatories are so disgusting.

I very much doubt that Vienna has stopped reading the Forum, or would. :)
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:51 am

The United States has not invested in train transportation like the Europeans or the Asians. The U.S. does not have bullet trains for example. The U.S. consumes over 25 percent of the worlds oil because we depend on cars for transportation and giant semi trucks to haul supplies and cargo. It was a dumb decision. Now we are dependent on fossil fuel that pollutes the air and is not a renewable energy source.

Anyhow I see how progressive places are in the States like Portland, Oregon. The train system works very well there as well as the bus system, etc. They actually reward people with free parking if they use electric cars for example.

Yes I see a transportation song in Vienna's future. Not bad for a self taught Tarrot Card Reader.
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.” Sinclair Lewis

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:07 pm

I think about retirement and I cringe at what retirement prospects in the United States will be like if they get rid of Social Security and Medicare like the Republicans want to do. I just find it frightening to think as a Senior Citizen I could be forced to live in a privately operated retirement home chained up to a tin shack in Arkansas or Texas like a red headed step child and having my hair cut with a dull butter knife. This could cause considerable rage in my opinion which is not good for a Senior. So I searched the internet Gods and it came to my surprise that the number one retirement destination is Cuenca, Ecuador. It has very low cost and it looks nice in the Youtube videos I watch. Need only seventeen thousand a year to live a very comfortable life including a maid, the healthcare is cheap, and you have interesting restaurant choices.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq_QhsORflI and I am sure they have diet coke.

Perhaps Vienna could write a song about Cuy. It pronunciation sounds a lot like that song Louie, Louie, but more like Cooey, Cooey.

Vienna should write a song about CUY.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:38 am

This week while savoring a diet coke and eating Arroz Con Pollo it dawned on me while reading the book Living abroad in Costa Rica that Vienna needed to write a song about this country. It absolutely fascinates me. What is cool about Costa Rica?
1. They don't have an army, no military period.
2. Exceptional healthcare, better than the U.S. they say and it is very cheap and affordable. The statistics bear that out. Longer life span and lower rate of deaths at birth.
3. They have a female President.
4. They grow excellent coffee.
5. Quetzal (Beautiful Bird with amazing feathers that practically glow)
6. Interesting history of Chinese Culture in Costa Rica.
Anyhow, six pretty good ideas to get that song written.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Re: Vienna should write a song about.........

Postby Ang Mo » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:57 am

After reading this opinion editorial or what not I think Vienna should write a song about the U.S. Post Office.
http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/27375-day-delivery/Content?oid=3002018
It is taking a beating these days and perhaps she could figure out some catchy words for a song about it.

alexau
Howdy, Stranger!

View the latest post

Postby alexau » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:10 pm

Yup, this was one of the election promises. The Conservatives are not going to like this as it'll hurt them more than the other parties.

Return to “The Cafe”