Will Vienna write a song for Steve Jobs?

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

asteroid
Warm Stranger

Will Vienna write a song for Steve Jobs?

Postby asteroid » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:13 am

Since she is a fan of Mac and technology and business...
Just a wild guess. I don't know what I'm saying, lol.
Vienna's volunteer agent on midomi.com

aaparallel
Getting Stranger

Postby aaparallel » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:53 am

She dedicated "Vincent" to Steve Jobs tonight. Maybe an original, subtle tribute will pop up soon.
"Drowning my pain in lemonade. . . Singing along to 'feelin' alright'"

asteroid
Warm Stranger

Postby asteroid » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:25 pm

aaparallel wrote:She dedicated "Vincent" to Steve Jobs tonight. Maybe an original, subtle tribute will pop up soon.

Well, although Steve Jobs and Vincent Van Gogh are equally one-in-a-millennium genius, how they had been treated during lifetime were totally contrary!
Vienna's volunteer agent on midomi.com

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:22 am

I am not sure if she would want to. Steve Jobs is depicted in this New York Times article as somone who had a great passion for "Slave Labor"http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/business/apple-america-and-a-squeezed-middle-class.html#commentsContainer I personally believe she should not do a song about Steve Jobs but I really have no say in that department so it would be up to her and her own gut feelings on the subject I suppose.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

tanthalas
Tengster

Postby tanthalas » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:57 pm

Ang Mo wrote:I am not sure if she would want to. Steve Jobs is depicted in this New York Times article as somone who had a great passion for "Slave Labor"http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/business/apple-america-and-a-squeezed-middle-class.html#commentsContainer I personally believe she should not do a song about Steve Jobs but I really have no say in that department so it would be up to her and her own gut feelings on the subject I suppose.

Issues like this one are usually far more complicated than this. Even in the article, it's worth noting the following:
But by 2004, Apple had largely turned to foreign manufacturing. Guiding that decision was Apple’s operations expert, Timothy D. Cook, who replaced Mr. Jobs as chief executive last August, six weeks before Mr. Jobs’s death. Most other American electronics companies had already gone abroad, and Apple, which at the time was struggling, felt it had to grasp every advantage.

The reality is that we ARE in a global market, and the blame cannot really be placed on individuals for those consequences. Instead of blaming individuals for participating in something that they more or less had to in order to survive and to thrive, we should be looking at the things that have allowed for this to happen in the first place -- the collective group of people in the US who decided that profits from exploiting overseas markets is more important than job creation at home (which is a slippery one, by the way, considering that globalization wasn't something anyone could have stopped), and more importantly, the governments (both US and China) for not properly regulating these things more.

I am not personally a fan of Steve Jobs, and I don't really see the point in putting Jobs in the stratosphere of sainthood or even great artistry as many others seem prone to do... So while I don't see the point in writing a song for him in the first place, I also don't think that stuff like the article above is necessarily a good reason against doing so.

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:51 pm

Ang Mo wrote:"Slave Labor"http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/business/apple-america-and-a-squeezed-middle-class.html#commentsContainer I personally believe she should not do a song about Steve Jobs ...

My opinion =

;)
♡ Internet/Drugs/Seeds. Copy=Right. ACTA harms freedom. Stop ACTA!Please copy and share. Say NO to ACTA.

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:52 pm

♡ Internet/Drugs/Seeds. Copy=Right. ACTA harms freedom. Stop ACTA!Please copy and share. Say NO to ACTA.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:18 am

More in the New York Times concerning all the injuries and deaths in China in the production of Apple products.

The reality is that we ARE in a global market, and the blame cannot really be placed on individuals for those consequences.

Actually people can be blamed I think. From the executives at Apple that have not successfully put a stop to the horrible exploitation of these Chinese worker's to the consumers who buy the product that create the demand in spite of the fact that they know what is going on, and the greedy shareholders that are just concerned with their profits. Just look at history with the Nazi's and how a lot of German people claimed they did not know what was happening to the Jews in their country during that time. The cat is out of the bag on this one. The New York Times has exposed it. Steve Jobs was a creative brilliant man, but like all men somewhat flawed I think. When you put profits before people, like Lee Iacocca did when he knew ahead of time that the Ford Pinto had that exploding gas tank and many people would be seriously harmed or killed if they bought it and his only response was that Ford could not compete with the Japanese automakers if they installed a rubber bladder to make it safe so he hell with it and of course 50,000 people end up getting either killed or severely burned but hey it was for the sake of corporate profits. Actually Mother Jones magazine gives a fantastic article on Lee Iacocca's days at Ford.

The irony that comes out of the articles in the New York Times is the fact that the capitalists are in bed with the communists. Maybe politics is like the eternal circle. They eventually meet up and become the same thing.

I mean the Republicans (Mitch Daniel in particular) were touting Steve Jobs creating more jobs then the Government ever could but according to Paul Krugman it just isn't the truth.
http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/25/mitch-daniels-doesnt-read-the-new-york-times/

Regardless of everything I just don't think their will be a song about Steve Jobs coming out of Vienna. Not that I know whether she is pro or con to doing so but I just don't think it will happen. I could be very wrong of course but I still think it won't happen.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

tanthalas
Tengster

Postby tanthalas » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:52 am

That's why I used the word "individuals". The problem is systemic with a whole lot of people taking part in it (and I agree, the consumers are as much to blame)... so putting the blame all on one individual (Jobs) isn't exactly very accurate or helpful. And Apple is hardly the most egregious offender - they just happen to be the most high profile, flavor-of-the-month target right now.

I see a lot of parallels between this and the whole organic/sustainable foods movement. People want their cheap iPads and would rather not pay for the true cost of these devices. But then again, it's also difficult to argue that the consumer actually has any say in this in the case of electronics short of abstinence (there is no "locally grown" version of the iPad), whereas in the area of choosing our foods, we certainly have more choices now than we did before.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:38 am

But people can boycott the product until changes are made by Apple to produce the product in a non harmful way. So they can make the change. Apple says they are trying to accomplish this but after reading the report I don't think they are trying hard enough. People have lived on this planet for thousands of years without the Ipad and I think they can still survive without it. Besides the copycats will come out eventually and provide an alternative choice and hopefully they will create theirs without harming their own employees.

Return to “The Cafe”