Happy Birthday Vienna Teng!!!

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Ang Mo
Tengster

Happy Birthday Vienna Teng!!!

Postby Ang Mo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:32 am

Happy Birthday and many more! That is if I understood your last tweet correctly.

I figured more fans would have this shouted out. Wake up forumites!
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Reileen
Total Teng-Head

Re: Happy Birthday Vienna Teng!!!

Postby Reileen » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:00 am

Ang Mo wrote:Wake up forumites!

moar liek "Ang Mo needs to follow Vienna on Facebook." ;)

Just kidding!
"You've made us swear our souls to you
And blamed us for your poisoned grace."

Reileen van Kaile
http://www.voxgraphicastudio.com

asteroid
Warm Stranger

Postby asteroid » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:46 pm

Happy Birthday to Vienna +1 :)
Vienna's volunteer agent on midomi.com

Fred
Tengster

Re: Happy Birthday Vienna Teng!!!

Postby Fred » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:56 am

Ang Mo wrote:Happy Birthday and many more! That is if I understood your last tweet correctly.

I figured more fans would have this shouted out. Wake up forumites!

Indeed! Happy Birthday, Vienna!
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:30 pm

There should be at least four posts on a Happy Birthday thread to Vienna.
I have to stick to the rules.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:33 pm

Ang Mo wrote:There should be at least four posts on a Happy Birthday thread to Vienna.
I have to stick to the rules.

I fear that birthday wishes may have migrated to social media. There are some things the Forum does uniquely well -- reporting on shows, music analysis, reports on the sheet music project, other long deep thoughts -- and I hope we can keep it alive for those things forever. Short messages, not so much. But I'm glad you are trying! :D

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:31 am

On a completely different note, perhaps my birthday wish, that Vienna write a song about this New York Times article. I would be curious to get Vienna's take since she has toured Europe and might be able to offer some insight since she has been there.
http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2011/10/29/opinion/29blow-ch.html?ref=opinion

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:02 pm

[see next message]
Last edited by Fred on Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:49 pm

Ang Mo wrote:On a completely different note, perhaps my birthday wish, that Vienna write a song about this New York Times article. I would be curious to get Vienna's take since she has toured Europe and might be able to offer some insight since she has been there.
http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2011/10/29/opinion/29blow-ch.html?ref=opinion

Ang Mo,
Sometimes a set of statistics comes more into focus when you add a human story. I also happened to see this article today, which puts a human face on the attitude of presumably typical Americans toward their less fortunate fellow citizens: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/29/opinion/what-the-costumes-reveal.html?_r=2. Perhaps we come by those statistics intentionally.
Fred

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:16 am

That is a depressing artilce you posted Fred, it reminds me of the rednecks around here who do the same and much worse, but at least they hold true to their convictions of cold heartedness. Just look at that cesspool at the Republican debate a few weeks back when the mediator brought up the question about a 35 year old person in poor health with absolutely no health insurance and the guy from the crowd yelled out, "Let him die" with everyone chuckling. Not a single candidate criticized the behavior of this jerk. It was quite a telling moment I thought. A lot of these candidates claim to have high standards and morals and are religious but apparently have never heard the story of the Good Samaritan or even the novel idea that people should be civil to one another. It's tiring. In fact I am too tired to go trick or treating but it could also be the case I am just too old. :lol:

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:15 pm

Ang Mo wrote:...A lot of these candidates claim to have high standards and morals and are religious but apparently have never heard the story of the Good Samaritan or even the novel idea that people should be civil to one another. It's tiring. In fact I am too tired to go trick or treating but it could also be the case I am just too old. :lol:

Mmmmh, too old ?
"Nothing lives long but the earth and the mountains"... :)
Ang Mo, don't be so angxious. "Life is a train with a one way track" as Brad Davis sings.
Don't forget to breathe and smile !!! :)
♡ Internet/Drugs/Seeds. Copy=Right. ACTA harms freedom. Stop ACTA!Please copy and share. Say NO to ACTA.

Scot
Tengster

Hau`oli Lā Hānau, V!

Postby Scot » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:49 am

Hope it was a good one! :)
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:46 pm

Hi Scott,

Just watched this physicist on PBS talke about blackholes. I think his name was Brian Greene. Is it true that any object that goes into a black hole goes from being 3 dimensional into being 2 dimensional when it enters the black hole and if it comes out again it is 3 dimensional? He likened black holes to a disk used in a computer that saves memory. Have you heard of this before Scot? It was fascinating to me but kind of hard to believe. I figure you might have studied some through the telescope there in Hawaii.

...................I might have read somewhere Vienna was wanting to find out this same question about blackholes for her birthday......just to keep it on topic :wink:

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:32 pm

Ang Mo wrote:Hi Scott,

Just watched this physicist on PBS talke about blackholes. I think his name was Brian Greene. Is it true that any object that goes into a black hole goes from being 3 dimensional into being 2 dimensional when it enters the black hole and if it comes out again it is 3 dimensional? He likened black holes to a disk used in a computer that saves memory. Have you heard of this before Scot? It was fascinating to me but kind of hard to believe. I figure you might have studied some through the telescope there in Hawaii.

...................I might have read somewhere Vienna was wanting to find out this same question about blackholes for her birthday......just to keep it on topic :wink:

Hey Chairman,
That sounds like an interesting show. I'm not even sure I know what it means to go from 3-d to 2-d. I can tell you that depending on the size of the black hole, you'd be stretched and pulled apart from your toes on up as you fall in (assuming feet first.) Things falling into a black hole don't normally come out, so you've got me there, too.

There are only a few basic things we can measure about a black hole like it's mass, angular momentum, and similar. So, when something goes into a block hole, we pretty much lose all information about what happens to it. It cold turn into Diet Coke for all we know. Or at least that's how we understood things the last time I learned about black holes.... :)

Brian Greene is a string theorist and they like to talk about things in 11 dimensions and that's at least 2 more (;) than I can easily think about.

scot
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:38 am

Fascinating Scott, because Greene was using the example of throwing his wallet into the black hole. Once it enters into the black hole it becomes a two dimensional object and flattens like a sheet, when it comes back out the wallet is 3 dimensional once again. These physics people use mathematical equations to figure this. I felt so overwhelmed, sort of like the Chimps in 2001 Space Odessey throwing those jaw bones up into the air. Anyhow here is the link.
http://www.pbs.org/about/news/archive/2011/nova-cosmos-mobile/
Fascinating stuff.

I wonder if my diet coke would come back out 3 dimensional and would it still be carbonated?

Return to “The Cafe”