A free history lesson

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Ang Mo
Tengster

A free history lesson

Postby Ang Mo » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:00 am

It is fascinating to go to the scrapbook and click on all the scrapbook posts starting at the beginning and going through the end. It takes some time, but if you have that free time, it will pay off. There is also a nice assortment of photos from the past, various cities, venues, restaurants, etc. In a sense, you can see an evolution to Vienna and her music. You can walk along the path or the Dao of Vienna Teng so to speak.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Fred
Tengster

Re: A free history lesson

Postby Fred » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:38 am

Ang Mo wrote:It is fascinating to go to the scrapbook and click on all the scrapbook posts starting at the beginning and going through the end. It takes some time, but if you have that free time, it will pay off. There is also a nice assortment of photos from the past, various cities, venues, restaurants, etc. In a sense, you can see an evolution to Vienna and her music. You can walk along the path or the Dao of Vienna Teng so to speak.

I did that when I first logged on here 3 years ago, and later did the same for the v.1 scrapbook when I discovered that. And all of the forum threads, and Adam Tow's site, and Eric Cheng's site, and Ward Williams' site, and a zillion random reviews, blogs, and interviews, and...

Not sure why. I think I may have felt regret that I didn't discover Vienna's music much earlier (as I know I do now), and wanted to share the early fans' experience of its gradual unfolding vicariously -- the Dao of Teng, as you say. Whatever the reason, doing this has greatly deepened my appreciation of Vienna and her music. Also, her own prose, always graceful, occasionally rises to peaks of eloquence, and is worth reading for itself.
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:52 am

Not being as deep or as thorough as you I was wondering if she ever mastered Spanish listening to her tutorial DVD she said she was listening too. I am still waiting for her version of "La Bamba"

Not sure if I spelled that correctly. I know a little Spanish.

Lobo=Wolf
Fajita, I read there is no Spanish translation for that, it was an American term made to sound spanish.
Last edited by Ang Mo on Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Reileen
Total Teng-Head

Postby Reileen » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:27 am

Yeah, I've gone through all of VT's scrapbook/blog posts (and may or may not have collected some of them into an inspirational binder to be re-read at leisure) and they're really quite fascinating and a pleasure to read.
"You've made us swear our souls to you
And blamed us for your poisoned grace."

Reileen van Kaile
http://www.voxgraphicastudio.com

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:10 pm

Reileen wrote:Yeah, I've gone through all of VT's scrapbook/blog posts (and may or may not have collected some of them into an inspirational binder to be re-read at leisure) and they're really quite fascinating and a pleasure to read.

I agree, but I also enjoy reading about the experiences of long-term fans, such as the story here on the forum of Vienna's early impromptu outdoor NYC mini-show after a rainout; and of random members of the blogosphere, such as the cleric from Calvin College not long ago who managed to reconcile the shaky theology of Soon Love Soon (from his standpoint) with his faith by inserting a strategic comma. There was a computer scientist from Boston who blogged incredibly insightful reviews of the first two CDs that really got me started at the beginning, the blogger and fan from NJ who convinced me that concert-going was an all-ages avocation and I should get back to it, the reviews in the Ectophiles' Guide that provided musical context, and so forth. Vienna's fan community, core and extended, comprises an incredible group of people; I feel lucky to be part of it, and enjoy reading its literature nearly as much as Vienna's own output. :D

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:01 am

I don't know if it was a scrapbook post or a question answered in an interview about when Vienna had hired a veteran to be their tour or road manager and he ended up absconding with the funds if I recall correctly. That was a bizarre story and I remember it. Hopefully my imagination did not just imagine that story. I am a little groggy at the moment.

There was the time she strained her vocal chords or she had some sore throat virus thing and Vienna posted pictures of her inflamed tonsils. Kyler filled in for her as a substitute.

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:59 pm

Ang Mo wrote:I don't know if it was a scrapbook post or a question answered in an interview about when Vienna had hired a veteran to be their tour or road manager and he ended up absconding with the funds if I recall correctly. That was a bizarre story and I remember it. Hopefully my imagination did not just imagine that story. I am a little groggy at the moment.

There was the time she strained her vocal chords or she had some sore throat virus thing and Vienna posted pictures of her inflamed tonsils. Kyler filled in for her as a substitute.

I remember the second story, but not the first one. Indeed maybe it was an interview. Thanks.

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:57 pm

That was the manager story :

[youtube=560,349,DQDoX9suD-c] Vienna Teng tells a tour manager story [/youtube]

Vienna Teng tells a story about her tour manager for the Duncan Sheik co-headlining tour. Recorded at the Independent in San Francisco on December 23, 2006.
♡ Internet/Drugs/Seeds. Copy=Right. ACTA harms freedom. Stop ACTA!Please copy and share. Say NO to ACTA.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:50 am

Thank you for providing evidence that I am not a 100 percent senile Walking Stranger. Thank you! Soldier of the year absconds with funds. That is funny in a strange way. Would that technically make him a mercenary or a pirate? At least Mercenary or Pirate of the year?

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:32 pm

Looking backward, I was wondering if she was advised by some of her fans while hanging around after some shows and discussing about environment issues - to watch this UT video from Standford University (2008) before making her decision to go back to school again.
♡ Internet/Drugs/Seeds. Copy=Right. ACTA harms freedom. Stop ACTA!Please copy and share. Say NO to ACTA.

aaparallel
Getting Stranger

Postby aaparallel » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:06 am

Walking Stranger wrote:Looking backward, I was wondering if she was advised by some of her fans while hanging around after some shows and discussing about environment issues - to watch this UT video from Standford University (2008) before making her decision to go back to school again.

Oh no, in an archived performance at the Ark in Ann Arbor from 2005/6 she already said that she'd been checking out the sustainability program at UMich.
"Drowning my pain in lemonade. . . Singing along to 'feelin' alright'"

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:24 am

Thanks aaparallel !

For what I remember, I was surprised she talked about the Quaker energy in the Uncensored Interview.

Right now, I'm watching a documentary about water. At 47:25 there are some images of frozen water after music of Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, etc. are played to each sample of water.
I was wondering if Vienna Teng's music is played next a glass of water, would it resemble to the one of Mozart's music related to frozen water ?!... ;)

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:17 am

I love this part of the interview where Vienna tips her hat to her fans and sends them all a cosmic howdy!
http://www.uncensoredinterview.com/vlogs/5955-vienna-teng-strange-tribal-culture

wolding
Warm Stranger

Postby wolding » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:07 am

Since my last post was in January 2010, I figured it's about time to check in again. Obviously, I haven't been so good at keeping up on "history". But I have not been totally absent from Vienna's scene, either.

The title of this thread intrigued me. I think I'm very privileged to be one of the "old-timers". Witnessing history in the making is awesome - when the creator of that history is awesome. Like this forum, ya know?!
Bill

Return to “The Cafe”