Happy 4th of July, everyone!

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Fred
Tengster

Happy 4th of July, everyone!

Postby Fred » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:47 pm

Coincidentally July 4 is also my 3rd anniversary on this forum, and I've always considered joining the forum as the day I became an official fan. (It was a sudden epiphany after hearing Vienna's music occasionally for a while, and I had to communicate about it, a compulsion I've given in to a few times since, lol.) I've been posting an anniversary message every year since, so here goes.

Musically, it's been another good year to be a Vienna Teng fan, supporter, listener, friend, whatever you want to call it. I've seen three more shows since last 7/4, each wonderful in its own unique way: the trio reunion and NYC farewell show at the Highline Ballroom last summer with its full-on drama and emotion; the solo show at Infinity Hall with its chance to see the music stripped down as I hadn't before, and also a chance to talk with Vienna a bit longer than I had in the past; and the duo show at The Bell House with its keychains, wineglass, whiskey bottle, and spirit of playfulness and musical exploration. Among them, these three shows pretty well encompassed the universe of Vienna's musical expression as I have seen it to date: the dramatically intense, directly communicative, and playfully adventurous sides of her (and Alex's) musical personality one after the other.

More importantly, of course, this was the year of the great transition from full-time musician to full-time student and part-time musician for Vienna. After a long series of dropped hints only the timing came as a surprise (and not a very great surprise at that--and it was so funny that Vienna was surprised we expected it). I'll admit to a twinge of anxiety about how it was all going to come out when I woke up to find that tweet on my phone, and this time last year it was still pretty unclear. I think the transition may have been on many minds at the Highline show, adding to its intensity, but maybe I'm just projecting that; who knows? As it turns out, of course (and as predicted by Vienna's longer-term friends), it has all been good. The music is still there (3 shows on a July-June basis is the most I have seen) at least for now, and we have been treated to a view of one of Vienna's other sides through her various postings that both illuminates the music and leads to a deeper appreciation of her as a person.

So I hope you all have a great holiday. I'm looking forward as always to another year as a Vienna Teng fan. I have no idea what I'll be posting a year from now, but I'm not worried about it. Life is good.
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

aaparallel
Getting Stranger

Postby aaparallel » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:39 pm

Happy 4th and anniversary to you, Fred! It sure has been a great year in the VT world. TEDxBoulder, The Seedling Experiment, The Breaking Light, the two wonderful shows I saw at GAMH and Rio Theatre. Also became Facebook friends with you last July, according to Facebook. :lol:

My forum-joining anniversary's next month. :)
Last edited by aaparallel on Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Drowning my pain in lemonade. . . Singing along to 'feelin' alright'"

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:31 am

It is not a small thing that this has been a shared experience almost from the start, with a wonderful group of other people whom I've met or virtually met, including you, aaparallel. It would have meant a lot less otherwise. Thanks, and see you around the forum! :D
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:44 am

Happy 4th to Fred and all forumites. Vienna Teng is like the banner on the hill. All are drawn to it and all are welcome. It sounds weird but I have been posting here for seven years. Time has gone by at light speed!
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Return to “The Cafe”