Seed Ideas

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Ang Mo
Tengster

Seed Ideas

Postby Ang Mo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:05 am

Since I am anti-Facebook I shall post a seed idea.

So my "seed idea" after eating plenty of sunflower seeds for inspiration was a song called Rogue Wave. A Rogue wave is described here.http://www.cruisebruise.com/Rogue_Waves.html This song would actually be a metaphorical tale about the tension between North and South Korea, but Vienna using the Rogue Wave to describe this predicament in song (she uses a lot of Ocean references in songs it seems like) can make it into a big hit.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Fred
Tengster

Re: Seed Ideas

Postby Fred » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:30 pm

Ang Mo wrote:Since I am anti-Facebook...

Speaking of anti-Facebook, I saw an announcement yesterday (on Facebook) that Over the Rhine was shutting down their fan forum because of declining interest, presumably at least in part related to fans shifting their online time to social media where they can do some of the same sorts of things. (I was also around for the end of the venerable Dar-List Dar Williams listserv, which succumbed about a year ago to, possibly, similar issues, and maybe also because Dar's original core fans are by now into their prime child-rearing years.) This is, potentially, tragic, because Facebook (even its Discussions and Notes pages, I think, not sure) does not preserve the legacy of the fan group the way a real forum does. I know when I first encountered Vienna's music a few years ago one of the most important things I did to discover what Vienna, her music, and her fan community were all about was to read the forum. Every thread from the beginning. Not just this one but the v.1 one too. (...and the blogs on the two sites and a bunch of other stuff) Doing this added a level of richness to my fan experience that would have been hard to duplicate any other way. Facebook (nevermind Twitter) is never going to replace this function.
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:40 am

Since you did not post a seed idea Fred I will have too. :lol:
Instead of a seed, Vienna sings that song called You are not the King of Anything by Sara Bareilles. When I first heard the song, I thought it was Vienna singing it. Maybe I am crazy, it sounded like Vienna's voice a lot, even had the piano similarity in parts.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:11 pm

Ang Mo wrote:Since you did not post a seed idea Fred I will have too. :lol:
Instead of a seed, Vienna sings that song called You are not the King of Anything by Sara Bareilles. When I first heard the song, I thought it was Vienna singing it. Maybe I am crazy, it sounded like Vienna's voice a lot, even had the piano similarity in parts.

Oh, sorry for getting o/t. :oops: I had suggested a seed on the dreaded Facebook -- the historical transition going on in Egypt, actually. I like your substitute, too, though. There's no question that Sara Bareilles does sometimes sound like Vienna both vocally and pianistically (is that a word?), although ihmo her songwriting is not nearly as sophisticated as Vienna's -- in fairness, a criticism that could be leveled at the vast majority of songwriters. :D

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:57 pm

The next seed idea would be an allegorical song regarding the BP oil spill and the proponents and supporters of the Drill, Baby, Drill mantra. This youtube video would be the perfect inspiration for a song titled: Where are you now?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45u66L4e3ww
One of the funniest videos on youtube.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:08 am

Next seed idea is Healthcare, I think Mike Malloy states the case for an interesting song. It would be called "Who would you kill"?
The real death panel in the U.S. are the insurance companies. It would be interesting if the U.S. could copy the Canadian, British, French, health care system.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYrrxdRBr5o&NR=1
He gets a little emotional, but it is kind of an emotional topic when you think about your own family.

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:41 am

Chairman,
I don't do facebook either, although it seems most of the rest of the world does.

As far as seeds - gack- so many possibilities. One of the hottest topic in astronomy right now is the discovery of so many planets around other stars- including, just recently, many earth-size planets, some possibly in a habitable zone. There's got to be a ton of things you can do with this.....

s
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:10 am

There's got to be a ton of things you can do with this.....

You are correct Scot. Your comment about habitable planets reminded me of the Paul McCartney song Pipes of Peace
What will you say, will the human race be run in a day or will someone save this planet we're playing on? Is it the only one? What are we going to do? help them to see that the people here are like you and me, let us show them how to play the pipes of peace.....

A lot of different possibilities and I think Vienna could mine those ideas. And that is a type of mining I can support.

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Re: Seed Ideas

Postby Walking Stranger » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:23 am

Ang Mo wrote:Since I am anti-Facebook I shall post a seed idea.

- idem

VT wrote in her twit :
Great #seedlingexperiment act-ideas coming in: garden produce to food bank, Healing Hearts Across Borders, protesting education budget cuts

It seems that it's not only in US that the governments are implementing education budget cuts, but in France too.

Here are two quotations, one from a teacher I met and the other one from Naomi Klein :

Source :
http://happycoleopter.blogspot.com/2011/02/indigne.html

La liberté de s'indigner !

Mesdames et messieurs, très chers compatriotes.

Permettez-moi, à un moment où l’on sent, confusément, que l’on s’en prend à nous depuis si longtemps, et que, très certainement, on prépare la dernière grande attaque contre ce qui a été pour tous, et pendant une si longue période, un modèle de formation de l’homme, permettez-moi, dis-je, de m’exprimer.
L'École est depuis trente ans bafouée, calomniée, attaquée et sapée dans ses fondements et ses principes : trop inégalitaire, trop refermée sur elle-même, trop inadaptée à un monde qui ne marche plus, mais s’emballe – trop chère, surtout, je crois.

Puisqu’ils ont osé mener toutes ces attaques, d’abord discrètement, par touches, puis par en-dessous ou par derrière, et enfin, désormais, en face, de front – permettez-moi que j’ose aussi m’exprimer à mon tour. Je m’exprimerai pour tous ces collègues bafoués, meurtris, certains désespérés, tous démunis, honteux parfois. Combien voudraient avoir la force de démissionner, d’abandonner le navire, ou tout simplement de parler, de clamer haut et fort leur scandale, leur colère, leur révolte ?

Mon devoir est de parler, je ne veux plus être la victime expiatoire, résignée et silencieuse, désignée à la vindicte et au mépris de mes concitoyens, aveuglés par les discours et les mensonges qu’on leur assène depuis des années. Et c’est à vous, chers concitoyens, que je le crierai, ce refus de voir saccager ce que nous avons de plus précieux, ce qui porte notre avenir et notre espérance, ce qui a pour but de former notre jeunesse et de l’armer pour affronter nos incertains lendemains.

Serai-je entendu ? Serai-je seulement écouté ? Qu’importe ! Je veux, désormais, car tel est mon devoir, être de ceux qui auront dit non.

Je refuse d’abandonner ma dignité de professeur, et je vous en refuse le pouvoir. Je ne me laisserai plus bafouer en silence.

Je refuse la lente et inéluctable dérive de notre école républicaine.

Je refuse de vous laisser continuer à brader l’École de la République et à privatiser peu à peu nos établissements. Je refuse d’obéir en silence à des bureaucrates et à des comptables.

Je refuse de me laisser transformer en un vague gardien de troupeaux, en berger isolé au milieu des moutons.

Je refuse de me laisser mépriser, insulter par vos grossières manipulations, et par les rumeurs diffamantes que vous faites courir sur nous. Je refuse de voir mon métier réduit à ses vacances scolaires, ou à de présumées sempiternelles grèves. Je refuse l’idée selon laquelle nos réclamations viseraient toujours notre bien-être : quand nous nous battons, le plus souvent, c’est pour défendre notre idée de l’école pour tous, et non le confort de notre métier.

Je refuse de me voir imputer la responsabilité d’un désastre organisé et planifié depuis trente ans par toute la classe politique et son innombrable clique de gestionnaires.

Je refuse d’être transformé, après tant d’années de formation universitaire, tant de génie étudié et côtoyé, tant de difficile labeur intellectuel désintéressé, je refuse d’être cantonné dans le rôle d’un cocheur de cases, d’un valideur d’improbables compétences et de leur plus improbable livret. Faut-il que nos enfants se promènent désormais avec un livret recensant leurs compétences ? Un passeport pour déambuler de poste précaire en emploi à durée déterminée ? Il s’agit bien de compétences, là où nous travaillons laborieusement à éveiller les appétences de ces adolescents gavés de publicité et acquis à toutes les immédiates facilités de la technologie et du commerce !

Je refuse d’être transformé en pitoyable orpailleur de compétences, condamné à chercher sans cesse, à brasser des litres de boue pour découvrir une discutable pépite dont on me débarrassera sans que je n’en puisse seulement rien faire...

Je refuse le collège unique et ses sempiternels mensonges d’égalité, ses projets toujours innovants, et toujours abandonnés, les délires des pédagogues bon ton et des bien-pensants qui ne voient d’élèves que de loin en loin. J’aime mes élèves, et par-dessus tout, je refuse catégoriquement qu’on puisse en douter, ou qu’on m’en refuse le droit. Si je suis encore enseignant, aujourd’hui, c’est seulement pour l’amour et la curiosité que j’entretiens à leur égard ! Et si, souvent, je suis dur avec eux, je suis déçu par eux, c’est par amour déçu, et par peur pour leurs lendemains incertains. Je me refuse à être un simple animateur socioculturel, je me refuse à les occuper, ces perdus pour la culture et le savoir, ces pauvres d’esprit, parfois quasi illettrés après dix ans de scolarité.

Je refuse de découper, séparer en portions, mes élèves, ces petits humains, en listes de compétences, en « piliers » bâtis pour soutenir le vide de constructions insensées – modernes tours de Babel qui ne concurrencent plus que les abîmes ! Je clame que tout être humain vaut plus que la somme de ses parties, de ses compétences définies par ceux qui veulent toujours réduire l’humain, l’assujettir à la machine et à la technologie.

Je me refuse, aussi, à me laisser piétiner par les « enfants-rois » à qui on ne sait plus dire non. Je refuse d’être la cible de ces enfants, cibles perpétuelles des publicitaires. Je refuse de m’abaisser à complaire à l’air du temps. Je refuse de brader mon savoir, ma culture et toute la séculaire humanité qui repose en moi, pour me métamorphoser en un gestionnaire à la petite semaine, triste manager qui gère du temps de présence, qui cherche ce que peuvent valoir ses élèves, et non pas ce qu’ils sont.

Je refuse de voir arriver tous ces jeunes collègues abandonnés à leur poste d’avant-garde sans aucune formation, sans aucune préparation, comme si le métier de professeur n’en était pas un, comme si notre public ne méritait pas un minimum de respect. On voudrait nous infantiliser, nous faire sentir inutiles et sans valeur, on ne s’y prendrait pas autrement. A quoi bon apprendre à devenir professeur, c’est sans doute le métier le plus impossible, la gageure la plus irréductible. Nos enfants ne méritent-ils pas une véritable éducation ? N’importe qui peut-il leur enseigner n’importe quoi ?

Je refuse d’abdiquer, désormais. Je revendique notre valeur. On nous accuse d’être une force d’inertie, un « mammouth » inutile et non rentable ? Mais à quel mouvement nous opposons-nous ? Je crois que nous devons être les freins de cette société que les chauffeurs, devenus fous, lancent dans un précipice, tandis que les passagers, préoccupés, regardent ailleurs. Nous devons forcer chacun à regarder tout droit.

Je sais ce que j’encours pour ces refus. Je les imagine déjà me menaçant de m’enlever de l’argent, de me punir comme un méchant petit fonctionnaire désobéissant.

Nous, les enseignants, avons le devoir de désobéir à ces ordres que nous savons iniques et dangereux. Nous sommes fonctionnaires, nous devons obéir aux décrets et circulaires ?

Et bien je refuse cette obéissance aveugle. Certes, le socle commun et les compétences ne conduiront pas nos enfants dans des wagons plombés, mais je clame qu’il est de notre devoir de désobéir, de refuser ces artifices qui nous détournent du meilleur de l’humain, qui ne cherchent pas à élever ou grandir les élèves – ce qui, pour moi comme pour beaucoup d’autres, demeure la tâche fondamentale et irréductible de l’enseignant.

Je m’indigne ! Indignons-nous !

Indignez-vous avec nous, et refondons notre dignité.

David Corre,
Académie de Créteil,
professeur de Lettres en collège depuis septembre 1998.

Naomi Klein's "The Shock Doctrine" :

One of those who saw opportunity in the floodwaters of New Orleans was the late Milton Friedman, grand guru of unfettered capitalism and credited with writing the rulebook for the contemporary, hyper-mobile global economy. Ninety-three years old and in failing health, "Uncle Miltie", as he was known to his followers, found the strength to write an op-ed for the Wall Street Journal three months after the levees broke. "Most New Orleans schools are in ruins," Friedman observed, "as are the homes of the children who have attended them. The children are now scattered all over the country. This is a tragedy. It is also an opportunity."

Friedman's radical idea was that instead of spending a portion of the billions of dollars in reconstruction money on rebuilding and improving New Orleans' existing public school system, the government should provide families with vouchers, which they could spend at private institutions.

In sharp contrast to the glacial pace with which the levees were repaired and the electricity grid brought back online, the auctioning-off of New Orleans' school system took place with military speed and precision. Within 19 months, with most of the city's poor residents still in exile, New Orleans' public school system had been almost completely replaced by privately run charter schools.

The Friedmanite American Enterprise Institute enthused that "Katrina accomplished in a day ... what Louisiana school reformers couldn't do after years of trying". Public school teachers, meanwhile, were calling Friedman's plan "an educational land grab". I call these orchestrated raids on the public sphere in the wake of catastrophic events, combined with the treatment of disasters as exciting market opportunities, "disaster capitalism".

Privatising the school system of a mid-size American city may seem a modest preoccupation for the man hailed as the most influential economist of the past half century. Yet his determination to exploit the crisis in New Orleans to advance a fundamentalist version of capitalism was also an oddly fitting farewell. For more than three decades, Friedman and his powerful followers had been perfecting this very strategy: waiting for a major crisis, then selling off pieces of the state to private players while citizens were still reeling from the shock.

Sources :
http://www.marianne2.fr/Quand-les-profs ... 02098.html
http://www.neoprofs.org/t29801-lettre-o ... n-collegue
http://www.naomiklein.org/shock-doctrine/excerpt[/img][/quote]
♡ Internet/Drugs/Seeds. Copy=Right. ACTA harms freedom. Stop ACTA!Please copy and share. Say NO to ACTA.

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:08 pm

Hi, WS!
I don't read French, but the Naomi Klein quote is very appropriate to today's climate. A bunch of ideologues have come to power in the U.S., who have it as an article of faith that the government should provide nothing to its citizens, leaving all needs to be met by the marketplace. Their encounter with an economic downturn essentially engineered by the banking system, which has resulted in decreased tax revenues, has been to treat it as a golden opportunity to put government out of business, including the education business. This is disaster capitalism at its "finest". Ironically, I'm currently reading Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma, which deals with how capitalism's tendency to lower costs regardless of consequences has virtually destroyed America's (and to some extent the rest of the world's) food chain. The alternative Pollan likes is not government food production of course (the Soviets tried that; so did the Chinese; neither worked), but, rather, an artisanal, pre-capitalist free market. I don't know if that's possible, but I fear a capitalist solution to education would not be unlike its solution to food: the greatest quantity of barely minimal acceptable quality, at the least cost. I don't think that's what America needs to prosper in the long term, and I know its not what we need to enable each person to realize his or her full potential.

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:42 pm

Hi Fred,

You can use google translate or just wait a while for my own translation.

Take care,
Peace and Joy !

WS
♡ Internet/Drugs/Seeds. Copy=Right. ACTA harms freedom. Stop ACTA!Please copy and share. Say NO to ACTA.

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:14 pm

Here is the translation from French into English :

Ladies and gentlemen, dear compatriots.

Let me, at a time when one feels vaguely that we are picked on for so long, and that, very certainly, the last major attack is prepared against what was for all, and for such a long period, a training model of man, let me speak, I said.
The School has been for thirty years ridiculed, slandered, attacked and undermined in its foundations and principles: too unequal, too closed on itself, too maladjusted for a world that no longer works, but gets carried away - too expensive, especially, I think.

Since they have dared to carry out all these attacks, first quietly, by touches, then from below or from behind, and finally, now, from face, frontal attacks - let me also dare to speak out my turn. I will speak for all these abused, slew colleagues, some desperate, all poor, sometimes ashamed. How many wished to have the strength to resign, to abandon ship, or just to talk, to loudly proclaim their outrage, their anger, their revolt?

My duty is to speak, I will no longer be the expiatory victim, lamblike and quiet, designated to the vindictiveness and contempt from my countrymen, blinded by the rhetoric and lies told for years. And it's you, dear fellow citizens, that I will shout it out, this refusal to see sacked what the most precious we have, what brings our future and our hope, which aims to train our youth and to arm them to face our uncertain tomorrows.

Will I be heard? Will I be just listened? Whatever! I want, now, because this is my duty, to be of those who will have said no.

I refuse to give up my dignity as teacher, and I will refuse you the power to do it. I will not let myself be trampled over in silence.

I refuse the slow and inevitable drift of our Republican school.

I refuse to let you continue to sell out the School of the Republic and to gradually privatize our schools. I refuse to obey in silence bureaucrats and accountants.

I refuse to let myself be transformed into a vaguely shepherd, an isolated shepherd in the middle of sheep.

I refuse to let myself be despised, insulted by your rough handling, and the slanderous rumors that you run on us. I refuse to see my work reduced to its school holidays, or to presumed endless strikes. I reject the idea that our claims would always aim our well-being: when we fight, the more often it is to defend our idea of ​​school for all, and not the comfort of our business.

I refuse to be charged of a disaster organized and planned for thirty years by the entire political class and its countless clique of managers.

I refuse to be transformed, after so many years of university education, so many geniuses both studied and met, so much selfless hard intellectual labor, I refuse to be confined to the role of checkbox ticker, an improbable validator of skills and their more unlikely booklet. Should our children now walk with a booklet listing their skills? A passport to walk from precarious job to temporary employment? This is about good skills, where we work laboriously to raise appetencies from these teenagers overfed with advertising and acquired to all the immediate facilities of the technology and trade!

I refuse to be transformed into a pitiful prospector of skills, condemned to seek constantly, to brew gallons of mud to find a questionable nugget that they will get rid of it from me without me being able to do just a thing ...

I refuse the unique junior high-school and its endless lies of equality, its plans always innovative, and always abandoned, delusions of fashionable educators and good-thinkers who see students from far away. I like my students, and above all, I categorically reject that one can doubt it, or refuse me the right. If I am still a teacher, today, it is just by love and the curiosity that I maintain about them! And if oftenly I'm strict with them, I am disappointed by them, it is by disappointed love, and by fear for their uncertain future. I refuse to be a simple socio-cultural animator, I refuse to occupy them, these lost ones for the culture and the knowledge, these simple minded, sometimes almost illiterate after ten years of schooling.

I refuse to cut, separate into portions my students, these little persons, into lists of skills, into "pillars" built to support the emptiness of nonsense constructions - modern Babel towers, which now only compete against the abyss! I claim that every human being is worth more than the sum of its parts, of its competences defined by those who still want to reduce the humane, to subject it to machine and technology.

I also refuse to let myself trampled by the "child-kings" to whom no one knows to say no. I refuse to be the target of these children, perpetual target of advertisers. I refuse to abase myself to please the current era's ideology. I refuse to sell off my knowledge, my culture and all the secular humanity which rests in me, to metamorphose me into a small-time manager, sad manager who manages time and attendance, seeking what his students may be worth, and not what they are.

I refuse to watch arriving all these young colleagues abandoned to their avant-garde position with no training, no preparation, as if the teacher's job was not one, as if our audience does not deserve any respect . They would like to infantilize us, to make us feel useless and worthless, they do not know how to do it otherwise. What good is learning to become a teacher, it is probably the most impossible job, the most irreducible challenge. Don't our children deserve a real education? Can anyone teach them anything?

I refuse to resign, now. I claim our value. We are accused of being a force of inertia, a "mammoth" unnecessary and uneconomic? But to what movement are we opposed to? I think we must be the brakes of this society that drivers, gone crazy, throw down a precipice, while the passengers, concerned, look elsewhere. We must force everyone to look straight ahead.

I know what I incur for these refusals. I already imagine them threatening me to take away money, to punish me like a bad little disobedient official.

We, the teachers, have a duty to disobey these orders we know unfair and dangerous. We are public servants, we must obey the decrees and circulars?

Well, I reject this blind obedience. Certainly, the common base and skills will not lead our children in sealed wagons, but I claim it is our duty to disobey, to refuse these artful devices that distract us from the best of the humane, that do not seek to elevate or rise students - which for me as for many others, remains the fundamental and irreducible task of the teacher.

I am indignant! Let's be indignant!

Be indignant with us, and refound our dignity.

David Corre
Academy of Créteil
Teacher of Humanities in junior high-school since September 1998.

[edit : videos]
- French : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxGiz8e4uKI
- English : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSHaHu1R8y4
Last edited by Walking Stranger on Mon May 23, 2011 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:21 am

Thanks, Walking Stranger. Clearly this was written by someone who has a passion for his work.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:15 pm

Thanks Walking Stranger, it was kind of you to have that translated to English so we could gain understanding.

Another issue has come up in my state. This unfortunate decision made by the state legislature have allowed students to carry guns on campus. This is an idiotic decision. The Presidents of the various Universities and Colleges oppose this. With all the alcohol consumed on campus, I can see some drunken people in fraternities, sororities, etc turning this into a nightmare. Then there is the issue of some guy finding out his girlfriend is not faithful to him so he goes on over with his pistol and shoots someone in revenge. Then there is the scenario of a couple of rednecks practicing their "trick shooting" and accidentally killing some people. It is a very dangerous thing to have someone in a drunken state or a state of rage, or just goofing around with a firearm on campus. Before the end of this year, someone will die for sure because of this ignorance.

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:13 pm

Ang Mo wrote:This unfortunate decision made by the state legislature have allowed students to carry guns on campus.

... WHAT ?!
My mum said that the elders observed the kids's behavior which forecasts the future : if more kids are seen to play or simulate gun firing, the world would be likely to be violent because of the primary state of mind before coming of age or adulthood...

Return to “The Cafe”