What's with the "City Hall on Idol" tweet?

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Digital
Hot Stranger

Postby Digital » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:24 pm

I have to agree that Jeannette showed courage in picking City Hall as her audition song, but have to give her the same advice I would give anyone trying out for anything, much less American Idol:

- Pick something that complements your voice. Everyone has a different range, and you really need to know and respect your limits.

- Pick something familiar, but not iconic. I'm sure part of the problem here was that the panel wasn't familiar with the song (as Jeannette wasn't necessarily that far off). On the other hand, picking something from Mariah or Celine or any other amazing singer is just asking for a bad response, unless you are, in fact, that good.

- Videotape yourself and watch it back before you do it for real. That way, you can work on the weak points.

In Jeannette's defense, she might have done a really great rendition of most of the song, and then just struggled in one part, which is of course the part they aired. Between poor taste decisions like this and highly questionable judging, I avoid this show like the plague.

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:41 am

Yeah, I really tend not to like the style of music that wins on AI, or much of anything "mainstream". I guess I'm a snob. You couldn't drag me into a Black Eyed Peas concert with a locomotive. (After their Superbowl halftime show, there might not be anybody in their concerts, tho.)

Tangentially related, has anybody noticed that there is a tribute to "acoustic music" on Sunday's Grammy Awards show? Now, that's better! Dylan, Avett Bros., Mumford and Sons. Maybe there's hope for good music in the wider world after all.
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:27 pm

@aaparallel : Thanks for the UT link !
♡ Internet/Drugs/Seeds. Copy=Right. ACTA harms freedom. Stop ACTA!Please copy and share. Say NO to ACTA.

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:58 pm

Fred wrote:Tangentially related, has anybody noticed that there is a tribute to "acoustic music" on Sunday's Grammy Awards show? Now, that's better! Dylan, Avett Bros., Mumford and Sons. Maybe there's hope for good music in the wider world after all.

Gotta comment that I loved the energy of Mumford and Sons (my first exposure to them), but Dylan sounded pretty horrible. Lucky for him he wasn't auditioning for AI! :wink:
Chris

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:05 am

cmooreNC wrote:
Fred wrote:Tangentially related, has anybody noticed that there is a tribute to "acoustic music" on Sunday's Grammy Awards show? Now, that's better! Dylan, Avett Bros., Mumford and Sons. Maybe there's hope for good music in the wider world after all.

Gotta comment that I loved the energy of Mumford and Sons (my first exposure to them), but Dylan sounded pretty horrible. Lucky for him he wasn't auditioning for AI! :wink:

Yeah, Dylan was so poorly miked it was hard to hear him at all. Avett Bros. picked an obscure song that didn't show them off very well--ordinarily I really like them. Mumfords were great.

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:14 am

Fred wrote:
cmooreNC wrote:

Yeah, Dylan was so poorly miked it was hard to hear him at all. Avett Bros. picked an obscure song that didn't show them off very well--ordinarily I really like them. Mumfords were great.

Avett Brothers call Charlotte "home" (they're technically from nearby Gastonia, NC, but close enough...) so I hear a lot about them in these parts. Somehow they haven't grabbed me yet. A fact that baffles my daughter, but c'est la vie. :D
Chris

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:52 am

cmooreNC wrote:Avett Brothers call Charlotte "home" (they're technically from nearby Gastonia, NC, but close enough...) so I hear a lot about them in these parts. Somehow they haven't grabbed me yet. A fact that baffles my daughter, but c'est la vie. :D

Up here WFUV supports them strongly, so they're very familiar.

Return to “The Cafe”