Chinese Mothers observation scrapbook.

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Ang Mo
Tengster

Chinese Mothers observation scrapbook.

Postby Ang Mo » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:52 am

Vienna's response to the Chinese Mothers article was insightful. I wouldn't know what it was like to have a Chinese Mother. My mother ignored me and kicked me around the house like Dobbie the House Elf. However she made up for it by teaching me trick shooting with a Winchester Rifle. The Model 94. Why? Because it won the West. But I digress........

I had the opportunity of watching this Chinese Mother hock her book on The Colbert Report. She said the article was skewed and left out certain facts and that she wasn't as strict as the article made her appear, nor as cruel. She mentioned how her parents sacrificed for the family and how her father went without a new pair of shoes for eight years. So after watching her interview I no longer perceived her as a hard case drill sergeant type, but as a strict parent who wants her kids to succeed. I don't think that is such a sin.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

ben
Getting Stranger

Postby ben » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:11 am

Try reading Amy Tan's The Joy Luck Club and also watch the movie adaptation of the book, also same title. It tells the tale of 4 Chinese mothers who migrated to the US and the US born daughters. While I haven't read the Chinese Mothers article nor Vienna's response (perhaps a link), I myself am of Chinese descent and have a Chinese mother.

Also today, Feb. 3 is Chinese New Year, so... Happy New Year everyone. :wink:
Always look on the bright side of life.

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:35 pm

Happy Chinese New Year, everybody!

I've decided I don't like the Wall Street Journal article that started this controversy. I think it attempts to perpetrate (or perpetuate, perhaps) stereotypes (false generalizations based on anecdotal data) about Chinese people, and I don't like stereotyping racial or ethnic groups. From later interviews I do NOT think that was the author's intent, but I think the WSJ editors excerpted her story selectively with that effect. Doesn't matter whether the stereotype in this case was "good" or "bad"--if it's ok to stereotype, then it's ok to negatively stereotype some other time.
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

tanthalas
Tengster

Postby tanthalas » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:50 pm

it sells books

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:58 am

tanthalas wrote:it sells books
Yes, somebody once said that there is no such thing as bad publicity.
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

tanthalas
Tengster

Postby tanthalas » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:28 am

Well, when it comes to selling a book, bad publicity is probably the best kind.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:03 am

Ben, here are Vienna's thoughts on this and the link as well to the article. The link is posted in Vienna's Scrapbook
http://viennateng.com/scrapbook/
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Return to “The Cafe”