Moderator: Ginny

echeng
Hot Stranger

Marika in the NYTimes

Postby echeng » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:24 am

January 14, 2011
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/16/arts/ ... ylist.html

Marika Hughes

The cellist Marika Hughes, a member of the bands 2 Foot Yard and Charming Hostess, has put out “Afterlife Music Radio” (DD Records), a CD of solo cello compositions written by her musician friends across the span of improvised and experimental music. Most are string players, but they’re not necessarily cellists or people who usually write this kind of music at all. They include short, graceful, boiled-down pieces by the jazz drummer Nasheet Waits and the saxophonist Abraham Burton, the multi-instrumentalist Raz Mesinai, the violinists Jenny Scheinman, Carla Kihlstedt, Charles Burnham and Eyvind Kang. Through Ms. Hughes’s hands, it all holds together; it’s an amazingly unified record. Seek it out or see her perform at 92Y Tribeca on Jan. 28; 92y.org.
Eric H Cheng | http://echeng.com
(Note: Cheng. Not Miller! ;-) )

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:32 pm

How cool! She's lookin' good. I still remember the "boobs not bombs" t-shirts that she sometimes wore at Vienna's shows when she was performing with her. Must admit that I miss some of those "good ol' days"..... :lol:
Chris

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:21 pm

cmooreNC wrote:How cool! She's lookin' good. I still remember the "boobs not bombs" t-shirts that she sometimes wore at Vienna's shows when she was performing with her. Must admit that I miss some of those "good ol' days"..... :lol:

I wish I had been around for the Green Caravan tour. So much I love on DTTN, strings and all.
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:51 am

I still remember the "boobs not bombs" t-shirts

There was also the women's undergarments that said something like "Cat's for Peace" or something akin to that if I may be so bold. I think the name was like Bond's first girl friend in Goldfinger..........
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:42 pm

Ang Mo wrote:
I still remember the "boobs not bombs" t-shirts

There was also the women's undergarments that said something like "Cat's for Peace" or something akin to that if I may be so bold. I think the name was like Bond's first girl friend in Goldfinger..........

Ahem --- did you actually SEE those? Being worn? :oops:
Chris

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:49 am

Ahem --- did you actually SEE those? Being worn?

No, Mr. Cheng wrote about them on his website and I got informed there about the story on those.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:19 pm

Ang Mo wrote:
Ahem --- did you actually SEE those? Being worn?

No, Mr. Cheng wrote about them on his website and I got informed there about the story on those.

Ahh. Mystery solved. Thank you! :D
Chris

ben
Getting Stranger

Postby ben » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:56 am

Do you mean this P***** Galore?
Always look on the bright side of life.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:36 am

You are so bold and daring Ben! That is the name, the keyword, the cypher, that unlocks the mystery! :shock:

Return to “The Cafe”