Capitalism or Democracy?

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Ang Mo
Tengster

Capitalism or Democracy?

Postby Ang Mo » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:42 am

--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Fred
Tengster

Re: Capitalism or Democracy?

Postby Fred » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:06 pm

Ang Mo wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tina-dupuy/midterm-choice-profiteers_b_774309.html

Interesting story from the Huffington Post.

According to the Worldwatch Institute, whose mission is to "...[deliver] the insights and ideas that empower decision makers to create an environmentally sustainable society that meets human needs", that's not how the world works at all. They say, "that the trend is headed in one clear direction: business guiding government to more responsible laws, not the other way around". So don't worry, friend Ang Mo, we don't need democracy, we have decision makers. And don't worry about the pig farms in that article (or mountaintop removal mining, for that matter), Starbucks or maybe Ben & Jerry's will make sure they get cleaned up.

Sounds good!
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:59 am

......and BP will take care of any oil spills because they were on the cutting edge of oil spill cleanup using the same techniques from the sixties. The private sector in action. :wink:

It still strikes me strange, the private sector failed and the government bailed them out, and yet the government is the enemy and the corporations wear the white hats.

The world is insane! Now people are saying everything is going to be great after this election because we will get rid of all this regulation that keeps these corporations from making profit and hiring lots of people. Go Corporate Hog Farms! I can see the citizens of Burley on one knee saying,
I love the smell of hog sh*t in the morning, it smells like victory!
:lol: As for drinking that contaminated feces laden water I think about that old joke about what's the difference between an oral thermometer and a rectal thermometer and the punchline is: Why the taste, silly!

Like the title of the movie, IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD!
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:32 pm

Mr. Chairman,
Y'know, this bears directly on Vienna's new career, & this is one of those times I regret she doesn't have time to join discussions here. Clearly, she sees a future where industry will *not* always be the bad guy, but will instead find it in its interest to be environmentally responsible, and she's found a graduate program where, it seems, lots of people believe this. I've just gotta point out, however, that throughout my lifetime, this has been 180 degrees from reality, and we still live in a world where industry violates, evades, and lobbies against environmental regulation by government routinely, funds climate change denial pseudoscience and public relations campaigns, and provides millions of dollars of campaign support to political candidates who oppose environmental regulation. (The rightwing Big Lie strategy you allude to, that "government is the problem", goes way beyond environmental issues, but it includes them.) I'd love to understand the path to a future where sustainability is an accepted corporate goal (and not just "greenwash") but I don't.
Fred

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:34 am

Return to “The Cafe”