Interesting interview with Vienna

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Fred
Tengster

Interesting interview with Vienna

Postby Fred » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:26 am

I bumped into an interview I hadn't seen before while getting a lyric the other day. It's audio only on that page, from the Chicago Music Guide. It's from August '08 so maybe you've seen it before but I hadn't. Good, insightful interviewer and (as usual when she gets good questions) well considered answers from Vienna. What I learned: (1) Vienna considers herself (tongue in cheek) a "failed short story writer". Other than the "failed" part, that's very coincident with how I see her songwriting progressing. The interviewer said, "3-minute novels". Yeah. (Except when did Vienna ever write a 3-minute song?) (2) Vienna and her family have complicated feelings about China vs. Taiwan vs. Western Democracy, like many Chinese scientists (and scientists of Chinese ancestry) I've known. I'd been curious about her take on that issue. (3) Vienna takes a very judicious view of whether one should make a full time career in music or whether for some people it might be more possible to keep the love of music-making alive by making the rent another way. Anytime I learn 3 new things, it must be a pretty good interview.

BTW, there's a bio on the site with a couple of curious items. (1) Vienna's "name" is given as "Vienna Quan-Yin Teng". Huh? Actually, I think I've seen that before. Is Vienna's stage name more elaborate than I thought? (2) Her height is given as 5' 5.5". Really? Have I shrunk? Surely she's taller than that.
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

aaparallel
Getting Stranger

Re: Interesting interview with Vienna

Postby aaparallel » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:39 am

Fred wrote:BTW, there's a bio on the site with a couple of curious items. (1) Vienna's "name" is given as "Vienna Quan-Yin Teng". Huh? Actually, I think I've seen that before. Is Vienna's stage name more elaborate than I thought? (2) Her height is given as 5' 5.5". Really? Have I shrunk? Surely she's taller than that.

(Edited) She's almost two inches taller than me, if that info is correct. Seems about right. In pictures, she'd be taller than me, but she'd be wearing boots....
Oh, but hey, since when is "American" an ethnicity and "Chinese" a race?
Of course, these terms and their meanings are all social constructs...

:D
"Drowning my pain in lemonade. . . Singing along to 'feelin' alright'"

tanthalas
Tengster

Postby tanthalas » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:58 am

It's surprising that a music interview would include such a detailed bio. It's like a trading card or something...

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:51 pm

tanthalas wrote:It's surprising that a music interview would include such a detailed bio. It's like a trading card or something...

That "bio", whatever its value, has been cloned all over the web, I now see. It's pretty standard on tacky lyrics sites.

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:09 pm

aaparallel wrote:(Edited) She's almost two inches taller than me, if that info is correct. Seems about right. In pictures, she'd be taller than me, but she'd be wearing boots....

Must be the boots. Reminds me of seeing Tift Merritt this summer when she opened for Josh Ritter. She was wearing high-heeled boots when she did her opening set and looked reasonably tall. She came back for an encore with Josh & his band at the end of his set, without the boots. Everybody in Josh's band is *tall* (except the drummer, who was behind his kit anyway) and Tift looked *tiny*. Funny.
aaparallel wrote:Oh, but hey, since when is "American" an ethnicity and "Chinese" a race?
Of course, these terms and their meanings are all social constructs...

The whole bio thing was weird. It *did* read like a trading card, as tanthalas commented. Considering that copies of this bio outline, and copies of the Wikipedia bio outline, are all over the web, it makes you think about the power of the web to create "facts" out of thin air by sheer repetition. Hence my skeptical treatment of the height number. In the era of cloned "facts", being a natural skeptic comes in handy, often.
:D

shawn
Hot Stranger

Postby shawn » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:42 pm

Fred wrote:BTW, there's a bio on the site with a couple of curious items. (1) Vienna's "name" is given as "Vienna Quan-Yin Teng". Huh? Actually, I think I've seen that before. Is Vienna's stage name more elaborate than I thought? (2) Her height is given as 5' 5.5". Really? Have I shrunk? Surely she's taller than that.

I knew that bio looked familiar; it was actually taken from the first version of her website.

Somewhere in an old Q&A I think there's an explanation for her chosen stage middle name. And as far as height goes, she wears heels/boots a lot more often to her shows now than she did when she was starting out.

Reileen
Total Teng-Head

Postby Reileen » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:42 pm

It's like a trading card or something...

{insert Pokemon and/or Yu-Gi-Oh joke here}
"You've made us swear our souls to you
And blamed us for your poisoned grace."

Reileen van Kaile
http://www.voxgraphicastudio.com

aaparallel
Getting Stranger

Postby aaparallel » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:50 pm

shawn wrote:

I knew that bio looked familiar; it was actually taken from the first version of her website.

Somewhere in an old Q&A I think there's an explanation for her chosen stage middle name. And as far as height goes, she wears heels/boots a lot more often to her shows now than she did when she was starting out.

If I'm not mistaken, Quan Yin is the Goddess of Mercy in Chinese Buddhism. This might be why the "middle name" is obscure. Might make her sound pretentious. :lol:

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:35 pm

[edited, see below]
Last edited by Fred on Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:48 pm

shawn wrote:I knew that bio looked familiar; it was actually taken from the first version of her website

I knew it was familiar, too, but I'd forgotten why. :D I may have to procure a pair of cowboy boots before my next Vienna show, to keep up (sartorially, vertically).

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:12 pm

aaparallel wrote:If I'm not mistaken, Quan Yin is the Goddess of Mercy in Chinese Buddhism. This might be why the "middle name" is obscure. Might make her sound pretentious. :lol:

That's a felicitous choice. Beats naming herself after the war god or something. :wink:

aaparallel
Getting Stranger

Postby aaparallel » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:21 am

Reileen wrote:
It's like a trading card or something...

{insert Pokemon and/or Yu-Gi-Oh joke here}

Couldn't resist. Feel free to come up with better ones.

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:42 pm

Guanyin or Quan-Yin, that's a good name !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guanyin
In recent years there have been claims of her being the protector of air travelers.

This quotation reminds me of the Volcano story before landing in Germany...
♡ Internet/Drugs/Seeds. Copy=Right. ACTA harms freedom. Stop ACTA!Please copy and share. Say NO to ACTA.

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:43 am

Walking Stranger wrote:Guanyin or Quan-Yin, that's a good name !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guanyin
In recent years there have been claims of her being the protector of air travelers.

This quotation reminds me of the Volcano story before landing in Germany...

I did a little research too. Seems Guanyin or Quan-Yin also is identified with vegetarian restaurants (maybe because she's the Bodhisattva of mercy, and vegetarian restaurants spare animals?) and they sometimes have images or statues of her (in China?). Also she's an object of intercessory prayer, and apparently in Christian/Buddhist syncretism, she merges with the Virgin Mary, which would make sense. Finally, she is a patron of fertility. She's quite the versatile enlightened one!

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:12 am

All of these insights are making me feel purple, obsequious, and clairvoyant, with just a hint of nostalgic plagiarism mixed with an internal craving for steak.......

I really like aaparallel's Vienna Teng Trading Card. It looks cool! Nice graphics.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Return to “The Cafe”