Intrumentals

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

tanthalas
Tengster

Postby tanthalas » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:01 am

So what I noticed (and told a few people) about Vienna's music is that she is one of the few (if not the only) pianist-singer-songwriters where the relationship between the voice and the piano is one of two equals.

For almost all other artists that I've listened to (to me, one big example is Regina Spektor, and it's actually why it took me awhile for her to grow on me), the voice stands very strongly in the forefront and the piano is there mostly to support the voice. The relationship is not equal (and in some cases, not even close). In some ways, this means that you can take out or replace the piano with something else, and you'd still keep about 70-90% of the song, depending on the song.

In Vienna's case, it's almost like she and the piano are doing a duet together, where they take turns singing their part - each just as important as the other. Taking one or the other out would be removing more than half the song - I say more than half here because the sum of the two is greater than the parts.

And, in my opinion, what makes Alex so great as a producer is that he manages to create this kind of equality/duality with every instrument or effect that he adds to a song. Take out the string arrangement from Antebellum, for example, and you've taken out such a huge part of the song that the end result is really something else.

(Or maybe I'm just being crazy/stupid here, since I know almost nothing about music or the theory behind it. But at least that's the feeling I get when listening.)
Last edited by tanthalas on Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reileen
Total Teng-Head

Postby Reileen » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:23 am

tanthalas wrote:So what I noticed (and told a few people) about Vienna's music is that she is one of the few (if not the only) pianist-singer-songwriters where the relationship between the voice and the piano one of two equals.

For almost all other artists that I've listened to [snip] the voice stands very strongly in the forefront and the piano is there mostly to support the voice. The relationship is not equal (and in some cases, not even close). In some ways, this means that you can take out or replace the piano with something else, and you'd still keep about 70-90% of the song, depending on the song.

In Vienna's case, it's almost like she and the piano are doing a duet together, where they take turns singing their part - each just as important as the other. Taking one or the other out would be removing more than half the song - I say more than half here because the sum of the two is greater than the parts.

You've said it quite well, I think. :D It's one of the reasons I latched onto her so strongly as a source of musical inspiration. (My new songwriting mantra: "What Would Vienna Do?")

I think I may have also mentioned it before on the forum, but one of the things I like about Vienna's piano is that I just really enjoy playing it even without singing along to it - it's so intricate and flowing that it's so much fun for me to play on its own. If I did that with another artist's piece I'm likely to get bored five bars in. :lol:
"You've made us swear our souls to you
And blamed us for your poisoned grace."

Reileen van Kaile
http://www.voxgraphicastudio.com

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Re: Intrumentals

Postby Walking Stranger » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:23 pm

beautifulvice wrote:Does anyone know if there are any Vienna Teng instrumentals anywhere? Specifically for either Gravity or Eric's Song.

Thanks!

I might be off-topic, but if you talk about instrumentals, I suggest to contact/petition/handle your request to this little genius :
http://www.youtube.com/user/jwcfree

Maybe, after sending him all the VT albums, he could be inspired to do something on guitar as instrumental cover ;) who knows ??? !!! ;)
♡ Internet/Drugs/Seeds. Copy=Right. ACTA harms freedom. Stop ACTA!Please copy and share. Say NO to ACTA.

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:53 pm

Reileen wrote:
beautifulvice wrote:
Ang Mo wrote:I really don't understand this post. I mean, in the sense, that the reason to have Vienna Teng music is to listen to the main component of that music and that is Vienna Tengs voice. The instrumental idea to me is akin to eating pizza without cheese, sauce, and toppings. You can do it, but why? But that is just me I guess...........

I actually find her piano playing to be just as amazing as her voice.

But, in my case, I'm looking to get an instrumental with the melody for a wedding. The words don't fit exactly right, but Vienna Teng wrote a musical piece that I find to be absolutely fantastic and beautiful, so I'd like to use the music sans the lyrics.

Agreed with beautifulvice. That's what makes Vienna Teng stand out to me - she's both an accomplished vocalist and pianist. If she did an entire album of just piano instrumentals (didn't she do such a thing back in her high school years) I'd definitely get it.

Seems to me that Charlotte Martin has done this with some of her music, so I guess the idea is out there.
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

rahau
Even Stranger

Postby rahau » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:45 am

Reileen wrote:I actually find her piano playing to be just as amazing as her voice.
Agreed with beautifulvice. That's what makes Vienna Teng stand out to me - she's both an accomplished vocalist and pianist. If she did an entire album of just piano instrumentals (didn't she do such a thing back in her high school years) I'd definitely get it.

So would I. As much as I love her singing, her piano chops always send a shiver. Any number of pianists can play rapid-fire riffs. But there aren't many who can play two or three simple notes - and play those notes so delicately and exquisitely, the listener is reduced to a state of stunned speechlessness. "Recessional," for example. I sometimes wonder if Vienna knows just how brilliant a pianist she is.

I've made a list of piano works I'd love to hear Vienna play: Any of her original work, of course; anything by Debussy or Ravel, especially Ravel's "Sonatine;" Satie's "Gnossienes;" Gershwin's "Concerto in F."

And especially, a piece by Bix Beiderbecke called "Flashes." Along with Louis Armstrong, Bix was the greatest jazz cornetist of the twenties. But he also played piano, and aspired to be a classical composer. "Flashes" gives a hint of what he might have accomplished had he not been seduced by the bathtub gin of the Roaring Twenties. Bix drank himself to death at age 28.

The performance on this link is accompanied by photos of Bix at a young age in Davenport, Iowa, where he never really fit in. Later, when he made it in the big time of New York, he never really fit in either.

"Club Bix" in Germany, where Vienna has performed several times, is named after Beiderbecke. Can you imagine the audience reaction if Vienna performed this piece at Club Bix?

juliekaye
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby juliekaye » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:50 am

Reileen wrote:If she did an entire album of just piano instrumentals (didn't she do such a thing back in her high school years) I'd definitely get it.

I was just thinking this earlier today and then I read this. :) Today I was listening to Vienna on my mp3 player at work and while I love her voice and her lyrics all so very much, I was really trying to focus more on the piano specifically because she plays so beautifully and I find myself so incredibly moved by the music itself. I would get an album of intstrumentals done by her (either to her current songs or something entirely different, I don't care) in a heartbeat!

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:17 am

juliekaye wrote:I would get an album of intstrumentals done by her (either to her current songs or something entirely different, I don't care) in a heartbeat!

Might not get a whole album, but she is currently taking seed ideas for some short improvs.

micro
Hot Stranger

Postby micro » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:32 am

micro wrote:We've seen on ebay a handful of times, a promo version of IT w/ a second CD of instrumental versions of the songs.

There was one last week on ebay that went for around $50 and for those interested there's another one going on now. Been a while since we've seen one of these.

Return to “The Cafe”