Intrumentals

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

beautifulvice
Howdy, Stranger!

Intrumentals

Postby beautifulvice » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:54 pm

Does anyone know if there are any Vienna Teng instrumentals anywhere? Specifically for either Gravity or Eric's Song.

Thanks!

aaparallel
Getting Stranger

Re: Intrumentals

Postby aaparallel » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:30 pm

beautifulvice wrote:Does anyone know if there are any Vienna Teng instrumentals anywhere? Specifically for either Gravity or Eric's Song.

Thanks!

Welcome, beautifulvice!

What do you mean by instrumentals? Recorded instrumental versions of the songs by Vienna? (There was a concert a few years back that featured instrumental versions of some songs because she'd lost her voice.) Or by other people (there are some piano/ensemble covers of her songs on Youtube). Or do you mean instrumental sheet music? The Waking Hour Songbook, which includes Gravity and Eric's Song, is on sale on the VT merch page.
"Drowning my pain in lemonade. . . Singing along to 'feelin' alright'"

micro
Hot Stranger

Postby micro » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:30 am

We've seen on ebay a handful of times, a promo version of IT w/ a second CD of instrumental versions of the songs.

beautifulvice
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby beautifulvice » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:36 am

I'm looking to find instrumental recordings of the songs:D Do you know which concert it was where she lost her voice? I'm scouring YouTube right now.

aaparallel
Getting Stranger

Postby aaparallel » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:29 pm

beautifulvice wrote:I'm looking to find instrumental recordings of the songs:D Do you know which concert it was where she lost her voice? I'm scouring YouTube right now.

I don't think any videos from that particular concert have been posted.

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:49 am

micro wrote:We've seen on ebay a handful of times, a promo version of IT w/ a second CD of instrumental versions of the songs.

Interesting. Following on this I took a look on e-bay and didn't see anything interesting right now. Some pre-release radio station distribution CDs, not much else. But that raises a question: have there ever been alternate mixes or alternate edits of Vienna's music for radio airplay? (I know about the original vs. Virt mixes of Waking Hour songs, altho I've never heard the originals; that's not what I meant.)
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:26 am

I really don't understand this post. I mean, in the sense, that the reason to have Vienna Teng music is to listen to the main component of that music and that is Vienna Tengs voice. The instrumental idea to me is akin to eating pizza without cheese, sauce, and toppings. You can do it, but why? But that is just me I guess...........
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

marathonmark
Cool Stranger

Postby marathonmark » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:00 am

Ang Mo wrote:I really don't understand this post. I mean, in the sense, that the reason to have Vienna Teng music is to listen to the main component of that music and that is Vienna Tengs voice. The instrumental idea to me is akin to eating pizza without cheese, sauce, and toppings. You can do it, but why? But that is just me I guess...........

I'm thinking maybe the reason is in order to learn the piano piece of the song.

I know it's much easier for me to learn her songs that way. I got the Amazing Slowdowner that Vienna recommended which helps to reduce the vocals when playing the song slowly so that I (being a novice) can learn them faster.

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:10 pm

Ang Mo wrote:I really don't understand this post. I mean, in the sense, that the reason to have Vienna Teng music is to listen to the main component of that music and that is Vienna Tengs voice. The instrumental idea to me is akin to eating pizza without cheese, sauce, and toppings. You can do it, but why? But that is just me I guess...........

Sorry for going off-topic in my reply--just my usual tangential thinking, I'm afraid. It *looks* like you are referring to the original post, not my reply, but if it was my reply, sorry. To be clear, I'm referring to real vocal versions of the songs mixed differently (usually vocal forward) or edited (usually edited down) for airplay. Just wondering if Vienna's record companies had ever done that for her to get her more airplay. Of course, all rarities make nice collectors' items. I can understand why there might be instrumental versions; Vienna's pianism is unusually accomplished compared to most piano-based singer-songwriters (naming no names), and showing it off is not too surprising.
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

marathonmark
Cool Stranger

Postby marathonmark » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:16 pm

Fred wrote: Vienna's pianism is unusually accomplished compared to most piano-based singer-songwriters (naming no names)...

Agreed. I've finally learned "Say Uncle" and "Lullabye for a Stormy Night" after about a year of constant attention. I've decided that "Harbor" is out of my grasp. :)

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:59 am

Sorry for going off-topic in my reply--just my usual tangential thinking, I'm afraid. It *looks* like you are referring to the original post, not my reply, but if it was my reply, sorry.

There is really nothing to apologize from anybody. I was just puzzled by the original post on this thread, but after reading Marathon Mark's explanation, I can now see the reason.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:51 am

If you're still looking for VT instrumentals, check out:
http://www.warmstrangers.com/cgi-bin/VT ... 11&band=VT

I have a recording for this show- I think I got it from archive.org, but if you can't find it, let me know.

scot
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

aaparallel
Getting Stranger

Postby aaparallel » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:23 am

Scot wrote:I have a recording for this show- I think I got it from archive.org, but if you can't find it, let me know.

I can't find it. A little help? :D

beautifulvice
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby beautifulvice » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:37 pm

I actually find her piano playing to be just as amazing as her voice.

But, in my case, I'm looking to get an instrumental with the melody for a wedding. The words don't fit exactly right, but Vienna Teng wrote a musical piece that I find to be absolutely fantastic and beautiful, so I'd like to use the music sans the lyrics.

Reileen
Total Teng-Head

Postby Reileen » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:55 am

beautifulvice wrote:

I actually find her piano playing to be just as amazing as her voice.

But, in my case, I'm looking to get an instrumental with the melody for a wedding. The words don't fit exactly right, but Vienna Teng wrote a musical piece that I find to be absolutely fantastic and beautiful, so I'd like to use the music sans the lyrics.

Agreed with beautifulvice. That's what makes Vienna Teng stand out to me - she's both an accomplished vocalist and pianist. If she did an entire album of just piano instrumentals (didn't she do such a thing back in her high school years) I'd definitely get it.
"You've made us swear our souls to you
And blamed us for your poisoned grace."

Reileen van Kaile
http://www.voxgraphicastudio.com

Return to “The Cafe”