It's July 4 again, almost.

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Fred
Tengster

It's July 4 again, almost.

Postby Fred » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:52 am

Wow, guys, it's time for me to say thanks to Vienna and the rest of you for another wonderful year in music. My sign-on to the forum is two years old tomorrow, July 4, but then I'll be out on Governor's Island in NY Harbor seeing Rosanne Cash and She and Him (hopefully I can see them both back to back at different locations) and Macys' fireworks at night, so I'd better post this today.

And, really, that's the message. Becoming a Vienna Teng fan has changed me from a passive radio listener/CD collector back into the real music fan I was years ago. Sure, I thought about going to see Dar Williams or Richard Shindell (etc.) when they played around NYC, but something in my family or work life always seemed more important. For all you science nerds out there--and I know you're there!--I needed more energy of activation, or a catalyst, to start the reaction. (BTW I'm not saying family and career are unimportant, but I *am* saying that balance is important too.) Discovering Vienna's music changed that, and as with all thermodynamically irreversible reactions there's no going back now. And it was not just her music; the community of her fans--you guys--made it so easy for me to become one!

So when I'm listening to Rosanne (and, hopefully, She and Him) tomorrow, mentally I'll be saying thanks, Vienna, thanks, you all, as I always do. Without her, and you, I would not be a Carrie Rodriguez fan, a Kennedys fan, a Red Molly fan, etc., because I'd have never seen them perform live, and sometimes that's what it takes. Paradoxically, that's what I look to, come September. I'll see Vienna again before she goes back to school, once, maybe twice, but regardless of how long the gap is between those shows and the next one of hers I see, I'm totally confident that I'm still going to be thanking Vienna and you for a great year in music again next year when July 4 rolls around. :D

So take care, all of you. I hope to see you at a show.

Fred
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

aaparallel
Getting Stranger

Re: It's July 4 again, almost.

Postby aaparallel » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:51 pm

Fred wrote:Wow, guys, it's time for me to say thanks to Vienna and the rest of you for another wonderful year in music.

Happy 4th to you, Fred! I don't mark the end of my first year on this forum till next month, but it HAS been a fantastic year for Vienna and the fans since last July. Many good memories. I do hope to meet you at a show someday!

Enjoy the festivities today, everyone!
"Drowning my pain in lemonade. . . Singing along to 'feelin' alright'"

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:02 pm

Awwww.... and here I thought that you'd been seeing many, many live shows all along, Fred. Nice to know that Vienna (and a few of us) prodded you enough to catch some again.

Happy 4th (a day late)!

What little I saw of the Macy's fireworks on TV last night looked pretty awesome. I'll have to make the trek up to see them some year.... :D
Chris

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:19 pm

Hi, Chris!

The fireworks were indeed major, as was the crowd. This was a NYC experience I've never had before (along with seeing the Thanksgiving Parade--gotta do that sometime).

Rosanne Cash was also excellent, albeit outdoors in 97 degree heat. Fortunately she was playing on a nice lawn where there were giant trees for shade, so the whole thing was very pleasant despite the temp. She played most of The List, plus some songs from Black Cadillac and older stuff ("Wheel" etc.) Closed with a 4th of July sing-along of This Land is Your Land including the "lost stanza", which, since this was NYC, got special applause. Very, very nice. Great voice, super backing band.

She & Him were a different story. They performed on a fenced-in artificial "beach" with bars and food stands but no actual water, where the shadeless sand was a long way from the music, separated by a blacktop "dance floor" in front of the stage. Considering the weather, it was basically a concert in hell, and we didn't stay for the whole thing. Since we couldn't hear the music very well from the sandy area (couldn't even make out words most of the time), no point in commenting on the band. Sometimes when something is free you get what you paid for. Josh Ritter, Dawn Landes, and Justin Townes Earle are scheduled for a free evening concert on this "beach" in Aug. I was going to go, but I may reconsider.

Take care.
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:20 pm

Fred wrote:Hi, Chris!

The fireworks were indeed major, as was the crowd. This was a NYC experience I've never had before (along with seeing the Thanksgiving Parade--gotta do that sometime).

Have to comment after reading your Thanksgiving Parade remark...

I think you'll find it a "cross that one off my bucket list" parade. We attended one year, about 6 or 7 years ago. It is FAR better on television, as unless you're near the TV camera placements (stands) much of what you see on TV doesn't even occur in the main parade.

Now the Tournament of Roses Parade out in Pasedena is a different story. Simply amazing. If you ever have the chance to catch that one, I highly recommend it.

Stay cool if you can,
Chris

Return to “The Cafe”