Hi, I'm Ben

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Timid Ben
Howdy, Stranger!

Hi, I'm Ben

Postby Timid Ben » Sun May 16, 2010 10:53 am

Hello, I'm Ben. I'm the guy that was standing around after the May 15th 10:00pm concert at Yoshi's, waiting all night for an opportunity to get his discography signed but being too timid to work up the nerve to ask for it until everyone was ready to walk out the door. :oops:

I'm also the guy that got up on stage and 'sang' alongside Paul Freeman. I had the jittery jangles afterwords so bad I wasn't sure I would be able to walk off stage.

I've been a fan of Vienna Teng for roughly six years now, ever since I first heard the song Gravity. I've not had a chance to see her in concert before tonight, but I'm very, very glad I went. At the behest of a few other die-hards lingering and enjoying the after-show, I'm now here on the forums as well! I look forward to being here!

Thank you all again for a lovely evening, not just Vienna Teng, Alex Wong and Paul Freeman, but all the fans who complimented my 'singing' ( :oops: ) and hung around being fanatical with me.

Good luck with your schooling, Vienna!
Na na na na na.

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Sun May 16, 2010 5:13 pm

Welcome, Ben! Glad you've decided to join us. :D
Chris

aaparallel
Getting Stranger

Re: Hi, I'm Ben

Postby aaparallel » Sun May 16, 2010 6:31 pm

Timid Ben wrote:Hello, I'm Ben. I'm the guy that was standing around after the May 15th 10:00pm concert at Yoshi's, waiting all night for an opportunity to get his discography signed but being too timid to work up the nerve to ask for it until everyone was ready to walk out the door. :oops:

I'm also the guy that got up on stage and 'sang' alongside Paul Freeman. I had the jittery jangles afterwords so bad I wasn't sure I would be able to walk off stage.

I've been a fan of Vienna Teng for roughly six years now, ever since I first heard the song Gravity. I've not had a chance to see her in concert before tonight, but I'm very, very glad I went. At the behest of a few other die-hards lingering and enjoying the after-show, I'm now here on the forums as well! I look forward to being here!

Thank you all again for a lovely evening, not just Vienna Teng, Alex Wong and Paul Freeman, but all the fans who complimented my 'singing' ( :oops: ) and hung around being fanatical with me.

Good luck with your schooling, Vienna!

Hi Ben! It's Josephine, the one you won't remember. So glad you finally got to see VT in concert! Great to meet you too! Na na na na
"Drowning my pain in lemonade. . . Singing along to 'feelin' alright'"

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Mon May 17, 2010 1:22 am

Hi, Ben!
I'm glad you decided to join the Forum. We have a lot of fun here. I guess I kind of did the opposite--joined the forum before I could see Vienna live, as a way of getting more into her music before my first concert. Either way, welcome!
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

tanthalas
Tengster

Postby tanthalas » Mon May 17, 2010 8:56 am

welcome

ben
Getting Stranger

Postby ben » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:04 am

Hi Ben. Welcome!
And I'm Ben... too. :D
Always look on the bright side of life.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:52 am

Hi Ben,

I was once shy and reclusive, sort of like an elderly Boo Radley, with a split personality with moments of sublime dementia, but with the coaxing from the rest of the group on the forum I slowly came out of my shell and was able to post my fair share of posts (way too many to be quite honest) but the fascinating thing is that this forum is loaded with scientists, professional writers, singers, musicians, photographers, people with Masters degrees, people with Doctorate degrees, entrepreneurs, religious people, non religious people, even one escaped mental patient, all different cultures, from different countries, with different professions, yet all have one unique thing in common which is they are fans of Vienna Teng. Not to rip off Deep Space Nine, but she is like that Symbiant being that binds all the different entities together.

Anyhow I am babbling again, welcome to the forum!
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:01 pm

Ang Mo wrote:[...]yet all have one unique thing in common which is they are fans of Vienna Teng. Not to rip off Deep Space Nine, but she is like that Symbiant being that binds all the different entities together. [...]

Human connector :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connector_%28social%29

those people who have a wide network of casual acquaintances by whom they are trusted, often a network that crosses many social boundaries and groups. Connectors can thus easily and widely distribute the advice or insights of a maven.

Human bonding :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_bonding

Weak social bonds are believed to be responsible for the majority of the embeddedness and structure of social networks in society as well as the transmission of information through these networks. Specifically, more novel information flows to individuals through weak than through strong ties. Because our close friends tend to move in the same circles that we do, the information they receive overlaps considerably with what we already know. Acquaintances, by contrast, know people that we do not, and thus receive more novel information
♡ Internet/Drugs/Seeds. Copy=Right. ACTA harms freedom. Stop ACTA!Please copy and share. Say NO to ACTA.

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:43 pm

Right you are, Walking Stranger!

To compare transfer in the large weak networks to traditional networks, try the "six degrees of separation" experiment with someone you know originally from cyberspace. (Trace real-world face-to-face relationships--friendships, business relationships, anything that is real--between you and the subject person. Relationships that started on the Internet don't count. Supposedly, everybody on Earth can relate to everybody else in six or fewer steps that way. I very much doubt it.) If we had to rely on "real" relationships for knowledge transfer, our lives would be much poorer, maybe with the exception of that small subgroup of people with huge Rolodexes who facilitate networks.

Actually, this could be a fun Forum activity: let's play "Six Degrees of Vienna Teng"! I know a bunch of Forumites from the Bay Area are 1- 2- or 3-degree related (e.g., any student of Alex's dad is 3rd degree automatically), but others could be more varied and interesting. Rules would be Internet connections don't count, and connections established after or derived from being a fan don't count. I think I'll start a thread as a poll.

As for you, Mr. Chairman, I can scarcely credit that you were ever shy. Was that before you discovered Diet Coke? And now that you have outed me as an escaped mental patient, I will have to go into hiding. ;-)

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:43 am

As for you, Mr. Chairman, I can scarcely credit that you were ever shy. Was that before you discovered Diet Coke? And now that you have outed me as an escaped mental patient, I will have to go into hiding.

I stand corrected, two escaped mental patients.... :lol:

Once again, you and Walking Stranger have taken my generic thought up to a much higher mark. I had to read everything twice to figure out what you were all talking about. (Actually, it was more than that, but I won't admit it)
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:21 am

Ang Mo wrote:Once again, you and Walking Stranger have taken my generic thought up to a much higher mark. I had to read everything twice to figure out what you were all talking about. (Actually, it was more than that, but I won't admit it)

I have a tendency to extrapolate from a topic and bring up other topics that for me are related ideas, or I jump on a word or two from someone's talk and create an association in my head from that ... well, from my own point of view... and often these associations are off-topic for a lot of people around me...
Last edited by Walking Stranger on Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
♡ Internet/Drugs/Seeds. Copy=Right. ACTA harms freedom. Stop ACTA!Please copy and share. Say NO to ACTA.

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:13 pm

What a musician is as a human connector, creating a whole galaxy attracting myriads of stones, making them evolving :

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:55 pm

Wow, WS! So cool! You can just do stuff like that anytime you want to? Such talent!

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:24 pm

Fred wrote:[...]You can just do stuff like that anytime you want to? [...]

Thanks Fred.

You just need to get inspired, draw the main lines in your head and play with Gimp, improvising, discovering and selecting the background !
Inspiration from :
- a drawing I've made when I was depressed as a way out to cheer up :

- a book I've read :
"Des réseaux et des sciences : Biologie, informatique, sociologie : l'omniprésence des réseaux" by Hugues Bersini

- and Ang Mo's words mentioned above :
"being that binds all the different entities together"

First, I thought about a kind of multi-arms simple character with different items like micro, piano etc, and later about something like the Indian Goddess Khali, and finally launch GIMP and let the drawing come along with my brainstorming process with black and white paintbrush.
That's how the flow of this drawing came from, having fun like a kid...

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:26 pm

So, when will the poll "Six Degrees of Vienna Teng" come out ?

Return to “The Cafe”