Have there really been no posts here on the board since 4th?

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Mon May 17, 2010 1:27 am

Trialia wrote:Well, this forum's always been quieter than most of the ones I frequent (I just hit 9000 posts in 7 years at one of the others!), probably due to it being necessarily limited in scope.

Do people want to post every day? :)

Wow, Trialia, my experience is so different! This is one of the most active forums I've been involved with. Of course, it's not just the level of posting, but the breadth of musical interest of some of the most active members, that keeps me coming back.
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

Trialia
Cool Stranger

Postby Trialia » Mon May 17, 2010 9:50 pm

Fred wrote:Wow, Trialia, my experience is so different! This is one of the most active forums I've been involved with. Of course, it's not just the level of posting, but the breadth of musical interest of some of the most active members, that keeps me coming back.

Well, by limited I do mean it's primarily music-based here and not a whole lot else, not that the people here don't have a wide range of taste in music. The community I cited specifically as being one of the most active I'm on has about 120 posts daily and is much more wide-ranging in scope, considering its base. :) It's multimedia and multifandom.
and breathe my breath
just to share the air
that I have known
and to learn
who it is that you see
whose eyes fall half-shut before you
in silence

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Mon May 17, 2010 10:53 pm

Trialia wrote:
Fred wrote:Wow, Trialia, my experience is so different! This is one of the most active forums I've been involved with. Of course, it's not just the level of posting, but the breadth of musical interest of some of the most active members, that keeps me coming back.

Well, by limited I do mean it's primarily music-based here and not a whole lot else, not that the people here don't have a wide range of taste in music. The community I cited specifically as being one of the most active I'm on has about 120 posts daily and is much more wide-ranging in scope, considering its base. :) It's multimedia and multifandom.

I see what you mean. I guess I've never encountered a forum like that. For a real mash-up of people and interests, I rely on Facebook.
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

rahau
Even Stranger

Postby rahau » Sat May 22, 2010 6:27 am

Ang Mo wrote:I have been fighting depression for a while. I finally had to take drastic measures and lock myself in a room for two weeks and listen to the theme song from the tv show Mannixhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF_49tWPNWAover and over again. The music of Lalo Schifrin is simply incredible! I feel as fresh as a breath mint and ready to go out and fight crime!

I sympathize, Mr. Chairman. Lately, I've been pretty depressed too, what with Ahh-nold cutting my pay and Gong Li still married to that idiot tobacco executive. :roll: Whenever I need to cheer up, I turn to the theme from "The Green Hornet" tv show, Billy May's brassy, jazzy arrangment of "Flight of the Bumblebee," featuring the legendary Al Hirt on trumpet. Nuthin' like Al Hirt's trumpet to clear away the cobwebs of depression.

Although some people compare TGH to "Batman," it was quite different. "Batman" wore its campiness on its sleeve, while TGH had a dark, noirish tone. The show also introduced Bruce Lee to the American public. At that time (1967), few of us had ever seen any sort of martial arts. Lee's fight scenes were absolutely jaw-dropping. A few years later, when Lee hit it big in the movies, Green Hornet fans blithely remarked, "Bruce Lee? Oh sure, I've known about him for years." :wink:

Due to legal battles, the show was unavailable for decades. The legal battles left TGH all but forgotten, save for the die-hard fans. But a few years ago, "Kill Bill" referenced the show, and includedthe full theme song on the movie sound track. Thankfully, the warring parties finally resolved their issues, and the show is now available on DVD. That's reason enough to cheer up.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sat May 22, 2010 6:42 pm

I sympathize, Mr. Chairman. Lately, I've been pretty depressed too, what with Ahh-nold cutting my pay and Gong Li still married to that idiot tobacco executive. Whenever I need to cheer up, I turn to the theme from "The Green Hornet" tv show, Billy May's brassy, jazzy arrangment of "Flight of the Bumblebee," featuring the legendary Al Hirt on trumpet. Nuthin' like Al Hirt's trumpet to clear away the cobwebs of depression.

Sorry to hear about your problems with the Governator and Gong Li. I have been on the rocks with Zhang Ziyi myself so I have had to start stalking Grace Park. :lol: In fact, Grace tasered me last week. I replied,
I've been tasered by a thousand women, your nothing special!
She broke down crying so I had to recant my harsh remark and let her know that she was special. :wink: ............

Anyhow Mannix is a great show. In the first season he worked for a Detective Agency called Intertecht. They boss played by Joseph Campanella, was a computer geek who used computers to solve crimes. Mannix is on his payroll but Mannix hates computers so he was always bucking the system which caused constant friction between he and his boss. Because computers back then were these gargantuan machines with tapes, bulky components, and punch cards it caused confusion for the audience so the show switched gears in the second season and the Mannix character goes out on his own to work for himself. I was fascinted to hear the Joseph Campanella character talk about cybernetics. Anyway what I find amusing is so many actors from the Star Trek show are in Mannix. Part of this is because the shows shared the same sets, which had to be changed constantly to go from the late sixties to the sci-fi future.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Return to “The Cafe”