Have there really been no posts here on the board since 4th?

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

cmooreNC
Tengster

Have there really been no posts here on the board since 4th?

Postby cmooreNC » Fri May 07, 2010 3:51 pm

Have there really been no posts here on the board since May 4th? Where is everybody? I just ordered the new live CD, and book, AND flashdrive (why, I'm not sure.... maybe I'm just a sucker for a $5 discount!). Thought I'd check the boards here after placing the order and was amazed to find it so quiet here. :shock:

Anybody else ordering any or all of the new "product"? :D
Chris

aaparallel
Getting Stranger

Postby aaparallel » Fri May 07, 2010 4:26 pm

I've noticed the quiet too...my post being the last one... :D

I'm getting my stuff at the Yoshi's concert on the 15th. Just a copy of the book and CD for myself. I hope there's a special deal for us artists, which would allow me to buy more of this awesomeness :roll:
"Drowning my pain in lemonade. . . Singing along to 'feelin' alright'"

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Fri May 07, 2010 10:40 pm

Really, May 4? Well then, let's post something!

Who knows what song from TMAV I'm supposed to request from my local radio station to get airplay for Vienna? (The "designated single", like White Light was from IT, if there is one.)

And when? With the release so complicated (first at shows, then from VT online store, then download, who-knows-when in record stores), is there an official release date on which one *should* start requesting airplay? And when are the radio stations *getting* it, anyway? (This was simpler when they just made a physical record and the only way you could buy it was in a store. Dang interwebs. ;-) )

Since the board was so quiet, I'll let this issue marinate here for a couple of days and maybe get some replies, and then pester VT's management for answers.
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Fri May 07, 2010 10:46 pm

BTW, since I decided I couldn't wait till August to get the stuff, I ordered from the VT store. All my previous physical CDs were bought at concerts.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sat May 08, 2010 2:49 am

I have been fighting depression for a while. I finally had to take drastic measures and lock myself in a room for two weeks and listen to the theme song from the tv show Mannixhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF_49tWPNWAover and over again. The music of Lalo Schifrin is simply incredible! I feel as fresh as a breath mint and ready to go out and fight crime!

In my new found happiness I have also found the woman of my dreams, a Starbuck Barista, that happens to be Bosnian. I have read on the internet that Bosnians have been taught Morse Code since birth. I quickly tapped out, "I LOVE YOU" in Morse Code on the counter and she got the impression I was being impatient about waiting for my beverage. You can't always believe what you read on the internet..........Now I am having strange dreams about Cevap and Sarma and starting my own Bosnian restaurant with this enchanting Barista at my side. The dream faded when she explained she was living with her boyfriend, yet another Bosnian. I was pretty disappointed and heartbroken to hear this. I exclaimed, "You're living in sin! I could just pass a Kidney, right here on the floor". I thought about it and it dawned on me that maybe she told me this because she is depressed. Needless to say, I instantly burned her a CD of the Mannix them song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF_49tWPNWA
She seemed almost as impressed with that as me tossing gold Sacagawea
Dollars into her tip cup.

On a different note, it has been quiet on the boards. I think we need to have somebody post new concert pictures or post video of Vienna in concert or something of that nature.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Reileen
Total Teng-Head

Postby Reileen » Sat May 08, 2010 3:19 am

I can't wait 'til I get my hands on the all the live album goodies! But I have to see what my financial situation is after Anime Central (May 14-16). Let's hope it's profitable enough for me to have some dough to drop on this swag...
"You've made us swear our souls to you
And blamed us for your poisoned grace."

Reileen van Kaile
http://www.voxgraphicastudio.com

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Sat May 08, 2010 4:49 pm

Ang Mo wrote:On a different note, it has been quiet on the boards. I think we need to have somebody post new concert pictures or post video of Vienna in concert or something of that nature.

Actually, you raise an issue we'll all have to address at some point: keeping this community active when concerts outside Ann Arbor become infrequent and the next album is off in the indefinite future--this fall, that is. There will not be nearly as much day to day Vienna Music News--setlists, pics, fan vids, etc.--to keep things perking along. (On the other hand, considering what program she's in, tweets/blogs from exotic locations in the developing world are a distinct possibility.) I've seen other formerly vibrant fan communities fall into neglect, and it's sad: the once-legendary dar-list listserv, for instance; and that's while Dar Williams continues an active recording/performing career. As befits Vienna's music, her fans, as I've encountered them here, are special folks, and I prefer to post my thoughts about other artists' music here in Other Fine Cuisine to setting up a blog of my own to share my thoughts with random people. (Another legendary listserv, ecto, originally devoted to a single artist who became less active, eventually evolved into a community about a whole genre--including Vienna's music, btw.) Anyway, something to think about. Going forward, the huge asset we have is the quality of moderation here. When valid posts become a few a week, it's easy for them to get lost in spam unless the moderation is good, and a flame war can just bring the whole thing down in ruins--seen that, too. So thanks, Michele and company, and keep up the good work--please!

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sun May 09, 2010 7:24 pm

Well Fred, I actually have the suspicion that Vienna's creativity will be boosted by taking time off the road and going back to school. Without the pressure of traveling and performing, I think she will actually be more rested, much like in the old days when she attended Stanford and worked at CISCO (The Human Network). Sometimes when you are trapped in a physcial location, like a school or a cubicle in a place of employment, your mind has more of a tendency to yearn and wander, which will create new ideas for music. When music became full time for Vienna, I think it made her hit the wall in the fact that if you are a full time musician, the last thing you want to do in your spare time is think about music. Just like any job, you need a break from it and I think the full time musican gig created a creative barrier in that sense and perhaps even burn out. Now it is just a theory of mine, but I think this return to the academic world will give a much needed boost to her creative side (she is left handed) so she is obviously creative and will end up writing some fantastic new music. Plus, just from a social standpoint, I think she will meet some new friends, very possibly her future husband, and all that good stuff with this new endeavor and that will increase the creative side as well.

I write this while pulling giant blood sucking ticks out of my seventy foot long beard. If Bear Grylls were here I could feed him the ticks. He eats anything....................

Hopefully ten years from now the moderators will allow me to modify this post so it proves that I am a prophet by predicting exactly what happens in the next ten years! :lol:
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Sun May 09, 2010 7:58 pm

Ang Mo,

As an amateur psychologist/part-time prophet, you do pretty well. ;) You've got Vienna married and everything. (Do her kids have names yet? Just kidding.)

I didn't realize Vienna was lefthanded, but it figures. On average, lefties are superior (and I'm not one, which is why I have to stress, "on average" ;)). In particular, the commingling of analytic and artistic talent is something I'd expect in a lefthander.

And I've got to agree, a reflective songwriter can only get better with more life experience. Have you listened to Suzanne Vega or Natalie Merchant lately? Marriage, kids, sometimes divorce or other loss, really give richness to people's experience, and that's the well artists go to.

But nevermind that. I'm not thinking about the next ten years, which will be what they will be. I'm just saying that in the short term we are in for a period of fewer set lists, fewer tweets from tour stops, etc. The rhythm of the fan community will change, and we will need to adjust. As I'm sure we will.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Tue May 11, 2010 5:23 am

(Do her kids have names yet? Just kidding.)

Don't tempt me :lol:

I remember reading a post Vienna made, actually a scrapbook post where she had pulled the bills out of a shoebox or something, neatly paid them, organized them and filed them away, and I think she mentioned cooking dinner and feeling wifely. That was back in the San Francisco days. It was a post that really had nothing to do with music, just kind of an observation of her current status in life and it kind of made me happy and kind of thinking she was sort of like that girl in "The Catcher in the Rye" who like to keep her Checkers neatly stacked in the back row when playing the game.

Of course my memory has been pretty shoddy of late so it might have been a combination of several things I read.... :lol:

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Tue May 11, 2010 12:44 pm

Then I was away for a few days and now look what I started! :wink:

Very glad I spoke up through the "sounds of silence". :D

By the way, Fred, Dar Williams added a date in Charlotte on June 28th. Yes, I've already snagged a pair of tickets.
Chris

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sat May 15, 2010 7:43 pm

Then I was away for a few days and now look what I started!

Now that is a song I would like to hear Vienna sing: The Sound of Silence I bet she could do a pretty good rendition of song.

Now for the picture of the week.

Portland State University with the streetcar going right through the campus. The benefits of mass transit are quite obvious.

I wish Vienna could do a concert there.

Trialia
Cool Stranger

Postby Trialia » Sun May 16, 2010 2:21 pm

Well, this forum's always been quieter than most of the ones I frequent (I just hit 9000 posts in 7 years at one of the others!), probably due to it being necessarily limited in scope.

Do people want to post every day? :)
and breathe my breath
just to share the air
that I have known
and to learn
who it is that you see
whose eyes fall half-shut before you
in silence

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Sun May 16, 2010 5:12 pm

Trialia wrote:Well, this forum's always been quieter than most of the ones I frequent (I just hit 9000 posts in 7 years at one of the others!), probably due to it being necessarily limited in scope.

Do people want to post every day? :)

I certainly wasn't trying to prod anyone into posting if he or she didn't want to. That was just my way of saying that things were awfully quiet in these parts. :D

I suppose we were all just being reflective, no?

Glad to see that things have picked up a bit lately, though, with the west coast shows occuring.
Chris

argos
Cool Stranger

Postby argos » Sun May 16, 2010 6:17 pm

Ang Mo wrote:Now that is a song I would like to hear Vienna sing: The Sound of Silence I bet she could do a pretty good rendition of song.

From The Independent in SF on Dec. 22, 2007:

http://ia341029.us.archive.org/1/items/ ... ce_vbr.mp3

It's even better than I would've imagined.

Return to “The Cafe”