Postby aaparallel » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:11 pm

Meet gangsta rapper V. Wu-Teng :lol:
"Drowning my pain in lemonade. . . Singing along to 'feelin' alright'"

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:56 pm

Thanks aaparallel !
What is RA and what measn Wu-... ?
♡ Internet/Drugs/Seeds. Copy=Right. ACTA harms freedom. Stop ACTA!Please copy and share. Say NO to ACTA.

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:06 pm

Walking Stranger wrote:Thanks aaparallel !
What is RA and what measn Wu-... ?

That's an oblique reference to Wu-Tang Clan, a syndicate of rap/hip-hop artists from Staten Island, NY, who appear singly and in various combinations. Members include(d) Raekwon, Ghost Face Killah and Ol' Dirty Bastard (deceased). I used to live not far from their home base, and they were a fairly prominent part of the local culture.
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:23 pm

Hi Fred !
Thanks for the information.
Halfass ...Is it a band she once mentioned (years ago, somewhere) that her brother was in ?
♡ Internet/Drugs/Seeds. Copy=Right. ACTA harms freedom. Stop ACTA!Please copy and share. Say NO to ACTA.

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:31 pm

Walking Stranger wrote:Hi Fred !
Halfass ...Is it a band she once mentioned (years ago, somewhere) that her brother was in ?

*That* I don't know.
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:42 pm

Fred wrote:

*That* I don't know.

Well, I 'll check that in my backup of some VT audios from archive.org - which means a long term listening of them...

Reileen
Total Teng-Head

Postby Reileen » Sat May 01, 2010 1:52 am

Dat shiz be phat, yo.

:D
"You've made us swear our souls to you
And blamed us for your poisoned grace."

Reileen van Kaile
http://www.voxgraphicastudio.com

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Sat May 01, 2010 2:59 am

Oooookay!

Gotta admit that I love the refence to a Thanksgiving turkey dinner (that no one can resist). Very funny.

By the way, I don't think the question about "RA" has been addressed yet. That stands for "Resident Assistant". Most college dorms (at least in the U.S.) have Resident Assistants, or some similarly titled positions, in the freshman dorms. These are sophomores (or upper classmen) who are residents there to guide and assist the new college residents on campus, usually on a scale of one or two per floor. So it sounds like the rap is referring to a male RA who is working towards marrying a female who was originally a freshman resident on his college dorm floor.

Not that I would know about any such thing, of course..... ahem. I was a second semester junior at Ithaca College when I was an RA and I met my wife-to-be. She was a first semester college freshman at the time. On my floor. Her father had told her that she could not date a senior when she went off to school. Seems that I was saved by the fact that I'd taken one semester off during my college career! We'll celebrate our 29th wedding anniversary on May 30th.... :D
Chris

tanthalas
Tengster

Postby tanthalas » Sat May 01, 2010 7:19 am

Yeah, it is. Her brother is the one in the tux.

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Sat May 01, 2010 7:38 am

cmooreNC wrote:Not that I would know about any such thing, of course..... ahem. I was a second semester junior at Ithaca College when I was an RA and I met my wife-to-be. She was a first semester college freshman at the time. On my floor. Her father had told her that she could not date a senior when she went off to school. Seems that I was saved by the fact that I'd taken one semester off during my college career! We'll celebrate our 29th wedding anniversary on May 30th.... :D

Great story !
It seems that you were not the only one if this song was inspired in a way by quite the similar situation ;)

tanthalas wrote:

Yeah, it is. Her brother is the one in the tux.

Thanks tanthalas !
I think she mentioned he once went to her gig because of some student girl too... LOL ;)

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Sun May 02, 2010 9:04 pm

Yeaahhh !
It is a .flac file on archive.org :
http://www.archive.org/details/vt2005-05-06.flac16
Vienna's brother - 6.57 MB
direct link is here :
http://ia361300.us.archive.org/16/items ... d1t11.flac

Enjoy !!!
WS

Return to “The Cafe”