Vienna's going back to school

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Reileen
Total Teng-Head
Posts: 518
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:47 am
Location: Grand Chokmah
Contact:

Postby Reileen » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:43 pm

Fred, thanks for linking to the interview! That's really interesting.
"You've made us swear our souls to you
And blamed us for your poisoned grace."


Reileen van Kaile
http://www.voxgraphicastudio.com

cmooreNC
Tengster
Posts: 850
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:59 pm
Location: Hermitage, TN

Postby cmooreNC » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:39 pm

Thanks for the link, Fred. Excellent interview, although I sometimes found it difficult to read through the grammatical typos. To those of us who follow her alot, it is obvious that some of the quotes were not exactly what Vienna actually said (on a "word for word" basis). She just doesn't talk that poorly. At least that's how I felt.

But the context is definitely there. Nice to see something of length, rather than just a brief tidbit.
Chris

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger
Posts: 363
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:57 pm

Postby Walking Stranger » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:22 pm

Fred wrote:Here's an excellent new interview with Vienna, in which she gives some very reflective answers about her whole career, from how she got into music to how she made the decision to write a new chapter in her life now. No new facts, but hearing her tell her story from a new perspective is revealing.


Thanks for the link Fred !
Take care,
WS
♡ Internet/Drugs/Seeds. Copy=Right. ACTA harms freedom. Stop ACTA!Please copy and share. Say NO to ACTA.

Fred
Tengster
Posts: 767
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:55 am
Location: NY metro area

Postby Fred » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:45 am

Fred wrote:
Michele wrote:She's scheduled to play Philadelphia in August...

Phila. Folk Festival? It's on Pollstar but not (anymore?) on this site or Zoe. Maybe she canceled. iirc that was a pretty old date and her new plans may have supervened. (Or am I thinking of a different year?) The festival isn't listing performers yet.

Phila folk festival released their lineup today & Vienna's on it. It's absent from all of her own sites, tho, & I'm pretty sure that it was on *this* site earlier, at least, which is a puzzlement. Before getting a ticket, I think I'll try to get confirmation one way or the other from her management, that she is or isn't going to make that gig.
Last edited by Fred on Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

Fred
Tengster
Posts: 767
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:55 am
Location: NY metro area

Postby Fred » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:52 am

cmooreNC wrote:Just read the scrapbook blog myself (after a link via the Cayamo community board) and of course I am realizing now that she won't be on Cayamo next year, so now I'm debating about going on the cruise....

By now the Cayamo 2011 site lists what they say is a full artist lineup, and frankly I don't think it's as strong as previous ones anyway. Of course, your taste & mine may differ, but there seems to be a real trend away from female singer-songwriters compared to previous years. And I like female singer-songwriters. BTW as usual it dodges President's week (the week my family & I could go), presumably to keep the price down. This time it's the week before rather than the week after. (My daughter can thank her lucky stars it's not on her school vacation: no metal bands on Cayamo.)
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

cmooreNC
Tengster
Posts: 850
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:59 pm
Location: Hermitage, TN

Postby cmooreNC » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:05 am

Fred wrote:
cmooreNC wrote:Just read the scrapbook blog myself (after a link via the Cayamo community board) and of course I am realizing now that she won't be on Cayamo next year, so now I'm debating about going on the cruise....

By now the Cayamo 2011 site lists what they say is a full artist lineup, and frankly I don't think it's as strong as previous ones anyway. Of course, your taste & mine may differ, but there seems to be a real trend away from female singer-songwriters compared to previous years. And I like female singer-songwriters. BTW as usual it dodges President's week (the week my family & I could go), presumably to keep the price down. This time it's the week before rather than the week after. (My daughter can thank her lucky stars it's not on her school vacation: no metal bands on Cayamo.)


Fred,

Actually I think the term they use on their site is "COMPLETE Artist Lineup", and that is "complete" only in that this is the list of artists they've confirmed so far. There will definitely be more added as time progresses. They sometimes announce the last few just a week or so before sailing, and Shawn Colvin was even an unannounced "stowaway" this year. But my wife and I have definitely decided we won't be sailing on Cayamo '11, primarily because of Vienna's absence (which I recently confirmed directly with her when we talked after the show at Winthrop).

It'll still be great, I'm sure, but to make it work for us it has to be "other worldly". With both Vienna and Brandi (in all probability) not sailing next year, I just don't feel it will reach that extreme high level. At least not for me.
Chris

Fred
Tengster
Posts: 767
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:55 am
Location: NY metro area

Postby Fred » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:36 am

Fred wrote:
Fred wrote:
Michele wrote:She's scheduled to play Philadelphia in August...

Phila. Folk Festival? It's on Pollstar but not (anymore?) on this site or Zoe. Maybe she canceled. iirc that was a pretty old date and her new plans may have supervened. (Or am I thinking of a different year?) The festival isn't listing performers yet.

Phila folk festival released their lineup today & Vienna's on it. It's absent from all of her own sites, tho, & I'm pretty sure that it was on *this* site earlier, at least, which is a puzzlement. Before getting a ticket, I think I'll try to get confirmation one way or the other from her management, that she is or isn't going to make that gig.

For anybody reading this and not getting Vienna's tweets (and who the heck would that be?), she confirmed participation on August 20. Nevermind the e-mail, Amy!
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

Fred
Tengster
Posts: 767
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:55 am
Location: NY metro area

Postby Fred » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:41 am

cmooreNC wrote:...to make it work for us it has to be "other worldly". With both Vienna and Brandi (in all probability) not sailing next year, I just don't feel it will reach that extreme high level. At least not for me.

Hmm, I've never paid that much attention to Brandi. Heard her hits on the radio of course. There are a tiny number of seats left to see her at Westhampton this summer, at a fairly high price. Is her live show really great?
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

Fred
Tengster
Posts: 767
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:55 am
Location: NY metro area

Postby Fred » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:09 am

cmooreNC wrote:Thanks for the link, Fred. Excellent interview, although I sometimes found it difficult to read through the grammatical typos. To those of us who follow her alot, it is obvious that some of the quotes were not exactly what Vienna actually said (on a "word for word" basis). She just doesn't talk that poorly. At least that's how I felt.

But the context is definitely there. Nice to see something of length, rather than just a brief tidbit.

Yes, there are some quotes that seem garbled in the retelling. I'm just impressed by the degree of self-reflection this interviewer got from Vienna. He was clearly knowledgeable and sympathetic. I found the comparison of then (writing songs instead of doing CS homework) vs. now (reading about carbon exchanges instead of writing songs) incredibly poignant. Detail like that makes me think I understand her mood and thought process as she has made this career decision (and, of course, makes it all the clearer why it was the right choice). In contrast, consider a more recent, and much more typical, interview, in which the interviewer covers the same ground much more superficially and feels the need to throw around some Wikipedia-level info as a sign of his supposedly deep knowledge.
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

cmooreNC
Tengster
Posts: 850
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:59 pm
Location: Hermitage, TN

Postby cmooreNC » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:10 pm

Fred wrote:
cmooreNC wrote:...to make it work for us it has to be "other worldly". With both Vienna and Brandi (in all probability) not sailing next year, I just don't feel it will reach that extreme high level. At least not for me.

Hmm, I've never paid that much attention to Brandi. Heard her hits on the radio of course. There are a tiny number of seats left to see her at Westhampton this summer, at a fairly high price. Is her live show really great?


By ALL means catch her live if you can. Her voice and energy level are just incredible. A real powerhouse. And the twins are great, too. There's a great chemistry on stage that works tremendously well with the audience in concert.

What do you mean by "fairly high price"? Most of the Brandi shows I've seen have been running in the 20-30 $ price range. Having just plunked down $125 for a ticket to see Bon Jovi last Thursday (I needed to cross them off my "never seen" list.... I found the technology of THEIR current live presentation was just out of this world, so I must admit that I found the high price justified for my seat just three rows from the side of the stage), I can't imagine that any show on Brandi's current tour is priced exorbitantly.

On a total side note --- I believe it was you, Fred, who wrote about "Loud and Rich" not too long ago. Based on your comments, I went and saw them last Monday (19th) here in Charlotte at the Knight Theatre. Had some great front row seats. Although my wife didn't care for Loudon much (found his humor too dark, I guess), I found him hilarious. As for Richard, we both loved him. That man can flat out play! (and he even threw in "Ooops, I Did it Again" by request ---- yes, the Brittany Spears song---- that was certainly a surprise!!! :lol: ).
Chris

Fred
Tengster
Posts: 767
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:55 am
Location: NY metro area

Postby Fred » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:07 pm

cmooreNC wrote:
Fred wrote:
cmooreNC wrote:...to make it work for us it has to be "other worldly". With both Vienna and Brandi (in all probability) not sailing next year, I just don't feel it will reach that extreme high level. At least not for me.

Hmm, I've never paid that much attention to Brandi. Heard her hits on the radio of course. There are a tiny number of seats left to see her at Westhampton this summer, at a fairly high price. Is her live show really great?


By ALL means catch her live if you can. Her voice and energy level are just incredible. A real powerhouse. And the twins are great, too. There's a great chemistry on stage that works tremendously well with the audience in concert.

What do you mean by "fairly high price"? Most of the Brandi shows I've seen have been running in the 20-30 $ price range. Having just plunked down $125 for a ticket to see Bon Jovi last Thursday (I needed to cross them off my "never seen" list.... I found the technology of THEIR current live presentation was just out of this world, so I must admit that I found the high price justified for my seat just three rows from the side of the stage), I can't imagine that any show on Brandi's current tour is priced exorbitantly.

On a total side note --- I believe it was you, Fred, who wrote about "Loud and Rich" not too long ago. Based on your comments, I went and saw them last Monday (19th) here in Charlotte at the Knight Theatre. Had some great front row seats. Although my wife didn't care for Loudon much (found his humor too dark, I guess), I found him hilarious. As for Richard, we both loved him. That man can flat out play! (and he even threw in "Ooops, I Did it Again" by request ---- yes, the Brittany Spears song---- that was certainly a surprise!!! :lol: ).


Hi, Chris!

Brandi's at same price as Loud 'n' Rich were *last* year: $70 top; i.e., twice what they charged for Vienna. Of course $70 is no big deal for a rock band (or Jackson Browne, either, I guess--I just paid over $100 to see him this fall), but I'm used to paying less for singer-songwriters, like $15 (+ theoretical 2 drink minimum, of which I only actually bought 1) to see Carrie Rodriguez at Joe's Pub a couple of weeks ago.

WHBPAC prices are high in general, which is interesting considering they're a nonprofit, and they've gone up a lot this year. Some of their bigger acts this summer are in the $100 range. (I didn't even look at Rufus Wainwright, assuming he sold out immediately.) I'm guessing that they have had problems with donor support thanks to the economy (the Madoff thing by itself had terrible impact on many rich folks here on Long Island) and are making it up at the door. It's small, and the local clientele is generally well off (the Hamptons, for heaven's sake, and they're not going to leave their vacation homes to go into the city to see a concert), so they can get away with that.

BTW my wife had the same reaction to Loud 'n' Rich. She HATED Wainwright--says she will never go to see him again. More than she hates Dar Williams (go figure on that one). I think it must be from watching American Idol. ;) Of course, I mostly went to see Thompson anyway. Although I've loved his records for a long time, his playing really must be seen live to be believed.

Thanks for the tip on Brandi. I'll run it by my wife and/or consider a solo outing. None of my other concertgoing friends are interested in seeing her. I drove out to WHBPAC solo last summer to see Vienna, and it turned out to be my best Vienna concert experience, so no reservations about that.

Also btw, since I mentioned Dar, I note that she's all over your part of the world in June. I don't recall if she's on your "known" list, but if not, for me, she's one-third of the trinity of hyperliterate singer-songwriters whose songs combine music and words in ways that stir my soul the most--along with Vienna and Richard Shindell. Of course, Dar's musical and personal style is totally different from Vienna's -- dyed in the wool, guitar-toting folkie with distinct hippie overtones -- and her themes more and more reflect the experience of a 40-something with a family and strong attachment to her locality and community, but her stories between songs are just as long, and her humanism just as deep. This may all be old news to you, or your taste may differ, but if not, I recommend her music.
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

cmooreNC
Tengster
Posts: 850
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:59 pm
Location: Hermitage, TN

Postby cmooreNC » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:43 pm

Thanks for the tip, Fred. I believe I saw Dar as part of the Newport Folk Festival when it toured amphitheatres one summer many years ago (I went to see Marc Cohn and he had time for only 3 songs, which was a big disappointment).... I'm guessing that was in the late 1990's or early 2000's, although I may have the act I saw then confused with her name now. I'll need to do a little more research and figure out for sure. I wasn't terribly impressed then, but it was a weird format (lots of acts with all being given too little stage time) and I may not have gotten a true taste that day. I may give her another shot.

ADDED - Just checked her website. That wasn't her. I think I got her confused with Lucinda Williams, perhaps? That June 26th show in Asheville might be a possibility. Shame there's no gig in Charlotte.

Oh.... one more thing.... it sounds like our wives may have similar tastes in music. As a side thought, mine loves seeing Brandi perform. I'd be interested (if you do see Brandi and you convince your wife to join you for the show) to see if that trend remains consistent. Not that I expect any two people to enjoy all of the same artists, however.
Chris

Fred
Tengster
Posts: 767
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:55 am
Location: NY metro area

Postby Fred » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:35 am

Yeah, I think I'll try to get my wife to go see Brandi. I know she's at least heard The Story--they've used that on American Idol!

And yeah, Dar Williams and Lucinda Williams couldn't be much more different, altho either of them could have been at Newport at that time. If you were doing one of those word analogy questions for the SAT test, Dar : Lucinda = Joni Mitchell : Patsy Cline. I happen to think all 4 are/were great, but in very different ways, and as far as being a deep, "literary" singer-songwriter in the sense that Vienna is, Dar is one and Lucinda isn't (but she has other virtues).
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.


Return to “The Cafe”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests