Vienna's going back to school

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:28 am

Hey, Chris! I like the new epigram in your signature.
Here's another: Lucy Kaplansky has a Ph.D. in Psychology and left music for a while to practice clinical psych.
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:01 am

I remember during a past Q & A and I asked what did she feel was her best performance and she mentioned where she sang in Michigan, can't remember which town, but she called the euphoric feeling of
elevating
as the description of what it was like during that particular performance.

I realize she chose Michigan for the type of school and degree she was seeking but maybe part of it was the great venues she played in the state as well.

I was hoping she would go to Portland State and study Urban Planning there. After all it does have a Max Train that takes the students right into the University and of course the school boasts a number of green buildings on campus. I saw my first Tesla electric sports car in Portland and a lot of other electric car models on my last visit. I did not rent a car, I just rode the train around as well as the bus. Did not have any problems getting around and it enables you to relax rather than worrying like you would driving a car in a big strange city, not that Portland is a huge city, but certainly big enough for me.

Also she could eat at this restaurant called BEAST . I have always wanted Vienna to write a song about the experience. It seems so strange, yet is rated very well.http://www.beastpdx.com/gallery/gallery.html
I could see her eat here and then get a free box of socks from a fan.

Regardless, I bet she will be at the top of her class in spite of the aforementioned procrastinating and taking time to twitter and scrapbook. :lol:
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

aaparallel
Getting Stranger

Postby aaparallel » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:55 am

Michele wrote:Wow, I'm shocked and touched to see that. I was thinking about hosting a gathering before the Saturday shows, and considering battling aversion to East Coast heat to attend whatever final shows turn up in August, but mebbe I should up my game and turn "maybe" into "do it" ...

DO IT! We need guidance and you are awesome.
"Drowning my pain in lemonade. . . Singing along to 'feelin' alright'"

Reileen
Total Teng-Head

Postby Reileen » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:44 am

shawn wrote:Looks like Reileen may have predicted something like this three years ago.

LOL! Totally forgot I did that sketch. (I need to get crackin' on my Teng Shui series. After ACen this year, maybe.)
"You've made us swear our souls to you
And blamed us for your poisoned grace."

Reileen van Kaile
http://www.voxgraphicastudio.com

tanthalas
Tengster

Postby tanthalas » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:50 am

Reileen wrote:Teng Shui series

nice.

NJ Fan Chris
Warm Stranger

Postby NJ Fan Chris » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:26 pm

Hey, Chris! I like the new epigram in your signature.

Thanks, Fred. My first thought was to put the lyrics to Richard Thompson's "Hots for the Smarts" in my sig, but thought better of it. :lol:
"From Bottom Line to Highline"

rahau
Even Stranger

Postby rahau » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:42 am

I'll say it again - Vienna sure makes it easy to be a fan. She made this decision for the most noble and un-selfish reasons: She truly wants to make the world a better place. She's been doing so for the last several years. Now she'll do so in a different way.

Like Michele, I've also thought about hosting a "forum mixer." Fact is, the two of us discussed that idea last year at the Montalvo Winery concert. Anyone else up for that?

aaparallel
Getting Stranger

Postby aaparallel » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:50 am

rahau wrote:Like Michele, I've also thought about hosting a "forum mixer." Fact is, the two of us discussed that idea last year at the Montalvo Winery concert. Anyone else up for that?

You mean Villa Montalvo? I was at both shows! Totally up for a forum mixer :D

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:34 pm

rahau wrote:I'll say it again - Vienna sure makes it easy to be a fan. She made this decision for the most noble and un-selfish reasons: She truly wants to make the world a better place. She's been doing so for the last several years. Now she'll do so in a different way.

Like Michele, I've also thought about hosting a "forum mixer." Fact is, the two of us discussed that idea last year at the Montalvo Winery concert. Anyone else up for that?

That's exactly right. Although Vienna will now be working in a more obvious, direct way to improve the world, nobody should ever sell art short. All good art makes the world a better place for people to live; truly great art, like philosophy and religion, provides a route for people to ascribe meaning to life. For reasons neuroscientists are beginning to understand, the human mind *needs* meaning, and, for many, art is the best way there. As Vienna said, repeatedly, her muse needs a home, and I take that metaphorically as well as literally. Getting off the road, getting grounded again in the world around her, and adding in all she has learned about songwriting in her time as a full-time musician just might result in the greatest art she has ever produced. That would be worth the wait, and the risk, wouldn't it?

Speaking of mixers, wouldn't it be great if an "au revoir NYC" event somehow materialized between now and August? Vienna's schedule is pretty tight between now and then, but it would be cool.

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:18 pm

Fred wrote:Speaking of mixers, wouldn't it be great if an "au revoir NYC" event somehow materialized between now and August? Vienna's schedule is pretty tight between now and then, but it would be cool.

Actually her tour schedule's completely empty for June and July, but I don't know if she has plans or just taking a nice break.

She's scheduled to play Philadelphia in August, so I'm pretty confident that the East Coast will have the chance to give her a send-off. And May may not be the end for the West Coast either. (Hope I'm not giving an April Fool's impression...) Just saying. ;)

aaparallel
Getting Stranger

Postby aaparallel » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:34 pm

Michele wrote:Actually her tour schedule's completely empty for June and July, but I don't know if she has plans or just taking a nice break.

She's scheduled to play Philadelphia in August, so I'm pretty confident that the East Coast will have the chance to give her a send-off. And May may not be the end for the West Coast either. (Hope I'm not giving an April Fool's impression...) Just saying. ;)

We're going to try to book her at Santa Clara University before this school year's over...I hope it's not too farfetched!

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:36 pm

I was thinking about this theater play from the Woodsongs Old Time Radio Hour archives (N° 519):
- Walden: The Ballad of Thoreau (audio and video archives)

Peace & Joy !

WS
Last edited by Walking Stranger on Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
♡ Internet/Drugs/Seeds. Copy=Right. ACTA harms freedom. Stop ACTA!Please copy and share. Say NO to ACTA.

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:06 am

Michele wrote:She's scheduled to play Philadelphia in August...

Phila. Folk Festival? It's on Pollstar but not (anymore?) on this site or Zoe. Maybe she canceled. iirc that was a pretty old date and her new plans may have supervened. (Or am I thinking of a different year?) The festival isn't listing performers yet.

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:21 pm

I have to say, I think this is a great move for Vienna. I always sort of figured (easy to say in hindsight, I know) that thee was something else in Vienna besides music. This is going to be a great move for her and the world. I suspect we won't hear the end of her music either. This is a really exciting move.

I'm going to try to make it out to CA for the May shows- hope we can get a forum meet-up going!

scot
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:41 pm

Here's an excellent new interview with Vienna, in which she gives some very reflective answers about her whole career, from how she got into music to how she made the decision to write a new chapter in her life now. No new facts, but hearing her tell her story from a new perspective is revealing.

Return to “The Cafe”