Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Digital
Hot Stranger

Vienna's going back to school

Postby Digital » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:04 pm

For those of you not on twitter or facebook, she posted a new blog entry:

http://viennateng.com/scrapbook/2010/03/new-chapter/

Basically, she's putting music to the side (but not giving it up) while she pursues an MBA.

I'm both sad and happy at the same time. Sad that it will be fewer and farther in between to see her peform, but happy that she's doing what she wants.

Interested to know what others think.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:27 pm

I felt she had been hinting at a change. The fact that she spent more time on the road, instead of being at her own residence could weary anyone. The schedules from the last two years had to be tough because it was almost like a global military campaign.

I think she will be able to get recharged and revitalized with this change. Maybe she will not perform as much, but having proper rest and less traveling pressure will probably enhance the performances she does have I suspect.

Whatever makes her happy I support, she has certainly brought about happiness and a sense of peace to all of us through her music and her actions.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Ginny
Tengster

Postby Ginny » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:21 pm

I know that it is important for people to pursue what will make them happy and fulfilled, so if this is it then I'm very pleased for her! Selfishly, I'm glad she's not completely giving up music because I really love her albums and seeing her perform. :)
"I'm going crazy a little every day. Everything I wanted is now driving me away." ~Sheryl Crow (Home)

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:30 pm

Ang Mo wrote:I felt she had been hinting at a change.

Me, too; some of my posts said so. Anyway, I have the same bittersweet feeling the others above do, with a few twists. First, timing. I have to count myself extremely lucky, now, to have discovered Vienna's music right before the Inland Territory tour and then to have seen 4 IT tour shows last year. One of them, in particular, goes up on my lifetime trophy shelf of great live music experiences, alongside, say, seeing Jacqueline Dupree play the Dvorak cello concerto just before she was forced to retire. Yes, that good. But, maybe even more important, discovering Vienna's music, together with a couple of other events, catalyzed my re-engagement with live performance after an absence of a couple of decades, so for every Vienna show I saw last year I saw 2 others, and in doing so I made other amazing new musical discoveries. That will continue.

Whether I ever actually see Vienna perform live again, time will tell. None of us, ever, knows what the future holds. In a way that's very sad, but in another way, that's life. It's all about growth; if you stand still you ossify. So, onward. I hope Vienna finds fulfillment in sustainable development (the long term satisfaction in knowing you have done something that matters--all that counts, trust me), and maybe makes some music too. If she does, within my lifespan, I'll listen to it. I'm just grateful for the opportunity I've had to be part of all this for the last year or so, and face forward richer than I was before, thanks to Vienna, her music, and her fans. :D

Like many other people, I've got a framed comic strip, Bill Watterson's last Calvin and Hobbes, over my desk. It is just right for the occasion, and many others. Here's someone's post of it: http://andr3.net/blog/post/103

"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy...let's go exploring!"
Last edited by Fred on Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:28 pm

Just read the scrapbook blog myself (after a link via the Cayamo community board) and of course I am realizing now that she won't be on Cayamo next year, so now I'm debating about going on the cruise, but then I found this thread, here, and I have only one comment at the moment. You people (at least those of you who have posted so far) are so incredibly true, and real, and thoughtful..... damn, I am just totally impressed. Not a single whisper of "Oh, no, how can she possbily DO this to us!" Just heartfelt support in her decision to do what feels like the right thing to do for herself. What incredible fan support! I mean, I knew we had it in us, but the rubber has met the road and so far you folks are really stepping up, here. Good on ya! :D

By the way, I totally agree with the previous comments. I feel blessed to have experienced Vienna's music, performance, and presence as I've experienced those things in my life so far. I hope there will be more opportunities in the future. But I have absolutely no doubt that she is doing the right thing in following her heart.
Chris

Digital
Hot Stranger

Postby Digital » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:54 pm

I've always thought that something about Vienna or her music attracted a good class of fans. On the whole, they seem to be thinking, caring, socially conscious folks. I've known other groups that aren't quite as homogeneous in this regard (and others that are).

I for one always felt honored that Vienna shared her music with me and let me into her world through her songs. Through her, I've met a lot of interesting musicians I wouldn't otherwise, and made a number of (hopefully) lifelong friends.

Maybe now I can catch up on some of the recordings in the archive!

Erik
Warm Stranger

Postby Erik » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:34 pm

Digital wrote:I've always thought that something about Vienna or her music attracted a good class of fans. On the whole, they seem to be thinking, caring, socially conscious folks. I've known other groups that aren't quite as homogeneous in this regard (and others that are).

I for one always felt honored that Vienna shared her music with me and let me into her world through her songs. Through her, I've met a lot of interesting musicians I wouldn't otherwise, and made a number of (hopefully) lifelong friends.

Maybe now I can catch up on some of the recordings in the archive!

You've already said exactly what I think. Well put!

periodic_table
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby periodic_table » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:39 pm

I read this about an hour ago, and I, too, sort of saw this coming. She's mentioned several times that she would love to have a sense of place. I had wondered about when she was going to have the time to play pieces that weren't hers (something that she had mentioned wanting to do), pick up new instruments, relax for once. While a part of me is incredibly sad that I won't get another opportunity to see her play a show for awhile, mostly, it's a bit of a relief to find that Vienna's decided to do something that might make her feel a little more human. Everyone should have a sense of home, and she had spoken of her lacking of that too many times for it to be a fleeting idea. I'm very happy that she's doing this for herself, and really, I can only be so selfish - I've seen her seventeen times in concert. I think that it's her turn to do something for herself. :wink: Not that she hasn't been all along, but it's just refreshing to know that she's going to get to relax and learn and do more great things for a completely different group of people through her degree and subsequent career.

Best of luck, Vienna!
"It doesn't do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live."

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:57 pm

I'm not sad at all. She's not retiring, and I fully expect her to be writing songs and scrapbook entries while she's procrastinating on school work.

I also expect/hope for her to be home in the Bay and/or in NY for winter breaks, so I don't think the Holiday Series needs to end. (And I would like this year's to be at the Freight, plzkthx.) Otherwise, we'll fly out. I'm sure my mother-in-law, who lives three and a half hours away from Ann Arbor, will be happy to be disappointed that we go to visit her more often only because we'll be going to see Vienna. 8) I haven't been to MI yet and Vienna's always had a great audience and sing-a-long at those shows, so I am looking forward to seeing some.

Digital wrote:Maybe now I can catch up on some of the recordings in the archive!

Me too!

Reileen
Total Teng-Head

Postby Reileen » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:13 pm

Like Michele, I'm not really sad about this because she's not retiring, plus I feel she had been hinting at it for a while. This news is almost making me want to stay on for grad school, lol! But alas, I am heartily sick of school and really should've been out two years ago.

If "Whatever You Want" is a "revenge of the cubicle" song, does that mean we can get a "revenge of the classroom" song?
"You've made us swear our souls to you
And blamed us for your poisoned grace."

Reileen van Kaile
http://www.voxgraphicastudio.com

Kalenabear
Warm Stranger

Postby Kalenabear » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:41 pm

cmooreNC wrote: You people (at least those of you who have posted so far) are so incredibly true, and real, and thoughtful..... damn, I am just totally impressed. Not a single whisper of "Oh, no, how can she possbily DO this to us!" Just heartfelt support in her decision to do what feels like the right thing to do for herself. What incredible fan support!

If Vienna says it's right for her, then I'm sure we wouldn't have it any other way. This move, in particular, is really inspiring to me. She's always been very socially/ecologically aware and now she's taking that extra step (leap and bound) to learn more. I admire her for being such a pioneer, when most people (like myself) only dapple in community/social affairs. Many talk, but Vienna leads by example.

I also agree with Michele. Unsailed seas and new worlds will shape new songs. I feel an even bigger wave of eco-friendly melodies coming our way. I look forward to the day they lap our shores.

Thank you, Vienna, for much more than I can verbalize right now. Just remember, excitement with absolute horror is usually a good sign! ;) For embracing us little people, gathering us together, and letting us be a part of your journey. For being that cool older/younger sister to many of us. Also, thank you, fellow fans, for truly being warm strangers, who equally amuse, engage, and inspire.

(This is sounding more dramatic and terminal than it should be...hm...Oh, oh!! This is also a good excuse to gather at the Yoshi SF shows, yes? ;) Some of us fans are already scheming for it... :p)

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:22 pm

Kalenabear wrote:Oh, oh!! This is also a good excuse to gather at the Yoshi SF shows, yes? ;) Some of us fans are already scheming for it... :p

Wow, I'm shocked and touched to see that. I was thinking about hosting a gathering before the Saturday shows, and considering battling aversion to East Coast heat to attend whatever final shows turn up in August, but mebbe I should up my game and turn "maybe" into "do it" ...

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:30 pm

Michele wrote:I'm not sad at all. She's not retiring, and I fully expect her to be writing songs and scrapbook entries while she's procrastinating on school work....

Point well taken, Michele. I'm not (intentionally, at least) eulogizing Vienna (;) ;)), just taking stock and being grateful, publicly, at a time of transition. Anyway, hope you're right; I'll go to holiday shows at any reasonable distance, watch webcasts, etc. And I've often wondered how working musicians who are on the road all the time managed to write songs about other kinds of lives--another way of saying, yeah, Vienna, go get some more real-life experience, and then turn it into songs for us as you do so well! So yeah, for sure, my own glass is MORE than half full, and my best wishes for Vienna's new venture are unalloyed. :D

BTW, since you wondered, MI is great, not so much the weather, but the people (spent 4 years there as an undergrad--in East Lansing, but spent a lot of weekends in A-squared). I suppose I could drop in on my brother-in-law in Kalamazoo and drive across state to see Vienna play The Ark or something--how weird would that be!
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

shawn
Hot Stranger

Postby shawn » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:28 am

Looks like Reileen may have predicted something like this three years ago. (Well, maybe not quite, but it is an MBA, after all...)

Congratulations to Vienna, and wherever your muse may take you in the future - musically and otherwise - we'll be eager to hear/see/experience the results.

NJ Fan Chris
Warm Stranger

Postby NJ Fan Chris » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:01 am

Many talk, but Vienna leads by example

Truer words have never been spoken! Always like Vienna to continue to challenge herself and make us look inside ourselves to aspire to more, whatever those aspirations may be.

BTW a friend pointed out how a few years ago Brian May picked up his PhD in astrophysics, so Vienna's joining some great company in the academic world. Rock on, Vienna! :D
"From Bottom Line to Highline"

Return to “The Cafe”