Thought I'd share the story I just read. How uplifting!

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

aaparallel
Getting Stranger

Thought I'd share the story I just read. How uplifting!

Postby aaparallel » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:32 am

I was shocked to learn that "visitors" from the Westboro Baptist Church came all the way to the Bay Area just yesterday. To do what? Of course, it's to protest and curse at Gunn High School (Alex Wong's alma mater), which lost five teens to suicide recently (bullying at it's best). Oh, and to proclaim their homophobia. But what did Gunn students (and others, including students at Stanford) do? Sing.

This would have been a nice touch:
"Soon love soon / We will find we never knew hatred ran so deep / Soon love soon / Such a wide, wide chasm of faith to leap / But we will be as one god / And we will be as one people"
"Drowning my pain in lemonade. . . Singing along to 'feelin' alright'"

Reileen
Total Teng-Head

Re: Thought I'd share the story I just read. How uplifting!

Postby Reileen » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:52 am

aaparallel wrote:I was shocked to learn that "visitors" from the Westboro Baptist Church came all the way to the Bay Area just yesterday. To do what? Of course, it's to protest and curse at Gunn High School (Alex Wong's alma mater), which lost five teens to suicide recently (bullying at it's best). Oh, and to proclaim their homophobia. But what did Gunn students (and others, including students at Stanford) do? Sing.

"Soon love soon / We will find we never knew hatred ran so deep / Soon love soon / Such a wide, wide chasm of faith to leap / But we will be as one god / And we will be as one people"

That is amazing to hear.
"You've made us swear our souls to you
And blamed us for your poisoned grace."

Reileen van Kaile
http://www.voxgraphicastudio.com

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:37 am

I liked the quote in the article that characterized the folks from Westboro Baptist Church as "a traveling theater of religious extremists". LOL
And the response from the students was exactly right. Well done!
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

argos
Cool Stranger

SF absurdist WBC counter-protest

Postby argos » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:40 pm

At the risk of ranging ever more off-topic, some folks decided to mount a creative counter-protest when WBC took their hate-mongering tour up to San Francisco by holding up signs with random and nonsensical slogans.

http://laughingsquid.com/san-franciscos ... st-church/

More photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sammich/se ... 311508180/

The result is pure and unadulterated brilliance. My personal favorites, "SPORKS ARE EVIL," "GOD HATES KITTENS!" and "I WAS PROMISED DONUTS," which apparently an SFPD officer who was on scene asked to keep afterwards.

aaparallel
Getting Stranger

Postby aaparallel » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:22 pm

I read the San Francisco bit yesterday. Brilliant! I also like the "I have a Sign" sign that one of the bloggers had. Oh, and the Rick-roll

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:54 pm

In one of these pictures I see 2 of the protester from WBC wearing U.S. flags. That's a violation of federal law, believe it or not. I'm not one of those folks who jumps up and down about national symbols; I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of someone who apparently is pretending to be super-patriotic inadvertently (I guess) disrespecting the flag.
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:46 am

aaparallel wrote:I was shocked to learn that "visitors" from the Westboro Baptist Church came all the way to the Bay Area just yesterday. To do what? Of course, it's to protest and curse at Gunn High School (Alex Wong's alma mater), which lost five teens to suicide recently (bullying at it's best). Oh, and to proclaim their homophobia. But what did Gunn students (and others, including students at Stanford) do? Sing.

My friend's nephew was the first of the bunch to kill himself from Gunn. My friend even drove by the scene cursing at the traffic during the aftermath. A sad irony of fate.
s
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

aaparallel
Getting Stranger

Postby aaparallel » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:06 pm

Scot wrote:My friend's nephew was the first of the bunch to kill himself from Gunn. My friend even drove by the scene cursing at the traffic during the aftermath. A sad irony of fate.

It's the type of irony that makes one's stomach turn at realization. Very sad. I really hate that WBC protests at funerals and against people who have experienced emotional trauma. It's ridiculously disrepectful.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:15 am

It just proves the old saying that a lot of so called Christians like to proclaim their love for a God they can't see and show so little for the people they can or the words of an old Jewish man who said, "I have never met a Jew who was a Christian, but I have never met a Christian who was truly a Christian either."

These Westboro people are hate mongers basically and they are ignorant.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:48 am

aaparallel wrote:It's the type of irony that makes one's stomach turn at realization. Very sad.

Yup. His loss was tragic enough, but now to see his fate repeated by others
afterward is that much worse.

s
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:00 pm

Ang Mo wrote:It just proves the old saying that a lot of so called Christians like to proclaim their love for a God they can't see and show so little for the people they can or the words of an old Jewish man who said, "I have never met a Jew who was a Christian, but I have never met a Christian who was truly a Christian either."

These Westboro people are hate mongers basically and they are ignorant.

While I totally agree with your final statement here, I'm not sure I agree with the "old Jewish man" quote. I'm a Christian. Am I perfect? Certainly not. But I do know that I'm forgiven for my imperfections and flaws even as I strive to overcome them. I try very hard not to judge others, as I figure judgement is something that should only be left up to God.

I think it's important to remember that one should never judge any "group" of people by the actions of a few people who supposedly belong to that group. These Westboro folks are extremists and certainly do not represent me or my views. But in our country they have the right to voice their opinion, just as those who are opposed to them have the right to peacefully present their own opinions.
Chris

Return to “The Cafe”