Heard "Harbor" at the grocery store

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

tomcos
Cool Stranger

Heard "Harbor" at the grocery store

Postby tomcos » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:46 pm

Today during lunch, I heard "Harbor" played over the speakers at the Stop & Shop grocery store out here on Long Island. For a very brief period, I was the happiest grocery shopper in the State of New York.
TC

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:06 am

Hmm, I'm not sure if I'd be happy or sad to hear such a thing. Probably pretty stoked, but a little teary-eyed at the mainstreaming of it all. I once heard a high school/college-era band I used to hang out with at Nordstrom's of all places. That was pretty cool, not to mention quite odd! :)
s
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

aaparallel
Getting Stranger

Postby aaparallel » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:17 am

I heard "White Light" at Kohl's here in the bay area a while back. That made my day. Listening for "Harbor" everytime I shop now.
"Drowning my pain in lemonade. . . Singing along to 'feelin' alright'"

Reileen
Total Teng-Head

Postby Reileen » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:45 am

aaparallel wrote:I heard "White Light" at Kohl's here in the bay area a while back.

I heard it at a Kohl's in my area too (south Chicago suburbs). I was pleasantly surprised! And then a couple of minutes later I also heard Tori Amos' "Welcome to England."
"You've made us swear our souls to you
And blamed us for your poisoned grace."

Reileen van Kaile
http://www.voxgraphicastudio.com

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:56 am

I heard it also at the local Kohl's, which means people should shop at Kohl's because apparently someone in their PA music department has taste.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:32 am

Haven't yet heard Vienna on a background music service, but I'm sure the day will come. Heard Joan Osborne the other day, of all people. I actually first heard Vienna's music when I was doing online research to try to identify a song I heard on a store's system, which may or may not have been by Tori Amos. (And I never did identify it.)

In terms of soundtracks, all I've heard is Between on The Deadliest Catch, although I've heard that there may be others.
Ain't praying for miracles, I'm just down on my knees
Listening for the song behind everything I think I know
And everything I think I know is just static on the radio.

Isiolith
Cool Stranger

Postby Isiolith » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:53 pm

We play "White Light" and the aforementioned Tori song over the muzak at the restaurant I work at. I think it's whomever makes up the playlists for these sort of things we need to thank.

NJ Fan Chris
Warm Stranger

Postby NJ Fan Chris » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:12 am

I've noticed the Boston Markets around north Jersey have a heavily singer-songwriter-centric playlist, but I have yet to hear Vienna in any store, etc.

I'm amazed at how a lot of music that was considered "alternative" during my high school days (mid-late '80s) is now commonplace in Muzak systems. I mean, anyone who openly admitted to liking say The Smiths or The Cure in my high school was assured of getting beat up. Last night I heard both while at CVS! And there's so many 80s bands, both "alternative" and "heavy metal" who you couldn't find in a record store (before Internet), that I now hear in department stores, chain restaurants, etc. You were only exposed to what the classic rock and top 40 radio stations spoonfed you during the '80s, and if you went out of your way to discover the Replacements, for instance, you were a freak. Now I hear all these groups when I go grocery shopping. Man how times change.
"From Bottom Line to Highline"

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:55 am

I was in one of the more upscale furniture chain stores a year or two ago (Bassett, I think), and they played an endless string of very laid back contemporary singer songwriters (including Sarah McLachlan and Dar Williams, among others). Probably just the thing to put you in a tranquil mood to settle into a comfortable couch--and then buy it!

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:54 am

Once I heard a car blasting Shasta while driving down the road. I tried to run after it, but I tripped.

rahau
Even Stranger

Postby rahau » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:14 am

Heard "White Light" at the Raley's grocery store in Petaluma on Tuesday, and again at the CVS in Oakland tonight. Quite exciting. I'd like to find out the name of the music service. I'd send an e-mail thanking them.

pudding
Warm Stranger

Postby pudding » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:34 am

Heard "White Light" at a Simply Organized store (our version of The Container Store) in Hawaii. :D

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:14 pm

Isiolith wrote:We play "White Light" and the aforementioned Tori song over the muzak at the restaurant I work at.

It would be an interesting coincidence if they played the same Tori song I couldn't identify--since I never did. (I did enough research to convince myself it was probably a Tori sound-alike, without, however, listening to her entire catalog, which would have been too obsessive.) Probabably she has a couple of dozen songs that have been on the background music services. But, if you know what it is, please let me know.

terraphim86
Warm Stranger

Postby terraphim86 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:53 pm

For a while, "Augustine" was on the "contemporary grind" playlist at Starbucks.

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:46 pm

terraphim86 wrote:For a while, "Augustine" was on the "contemporary grind" playlist at Starbucks.

Anybody ever heard Vienna on satellite? There are 3-4 XM/Sirius stations that seem very appropriate. I don't have satellite, but I listen to them on planes sometimes.

Return to “The Cafe”