Covers you would like to hear Vienna sing

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Orin Porter Rockwell

Postby Orin Porter Rockwell » Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:42 am

A very traditional tradition for me on a Saturday is to go out and eat Sushi at my favorite restaurant. My Chef is absolutely brilliant, because each dish he prepares not only looks like a work of art, but also tastes like a culinary work of art. He always makes this one for me that has fried shrimp rolled in the rice, topped with eel and flying fish roe with spring onion and a sweet sauce on top. It is incredibly good. What does this have to do with Vienna Teng....................absolutely nothing............but I thought I would put in a plug for the blessings of eating Sushi. Now for the important part of the post.

Cover Songs I would like to hear Vienna Teng sing and why:

1. Werewolves of London (I think Vienna could destroy the critics who claim she is too mechanical in her choice of music. Because the song is a piano composition, it would be very easy for her, and I would just love to hear her Werewolf Howl......after all if she can admit to liking Eminem, then this song could really let her let the beast out. We all want to be like Luke Skywalker, but there is a little Darth Vader in all of us. She should hug her dark side and Howl the eternal yes!)

2. Something to do in Denver when your Dead (Yet another Warren Zevon song that Vienna could totally own. It is another piano piece and with her voice could really belt this one out with some style)

3. Imagine (Vienna could do this song really well and make John Lennon proud.)

4. Take it Away (A song by Paul McCartney that would sound great with piano in it.)

5. Stormy Weather (An older song I think would sound cool with Vienna singing it)

6. Seven Hours (A song by Rebecca Pidgeon that Vienna could do a masterful job on)

I could name some more, but I thought I would ask all of you to submit the songs that you would like to hear.

Orin Porter Rockwell

Postby Orin Porter Rockwell » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:05 am

Correction, that second song should be Things to do in Denver when your Dead

Sorry about that kids.

Guest_guest

Postby Guest_guest » Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:20 pm

first of all, i'd love to hear vienna sing elvis costello's "shipbuilding". we know she can handle some jazzy, low-key songs, and i'm sure that the lyrics align well with her views.

i'd also like to see how vienna would tackle joni mitchell. i've always heard some of joni in vienna's really early songs. something off blue would be great, maybe "all i want" or "a case of you".

lastly, vienna herself said she's a fan of radiohead. it's a little more wierd and intense that her usual repetoire, but i think she could do something really interesting with "paranoid android", particularly with the aid of marika and alan. if it's too out there, she could always try her hand at "no surprises"

.. just my 2 cents.

leon
Cool Stranger

Postby leon » Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:54 am

"Fields of Gold" --- Sting's song, covered superbly by Eva Cassidy and skated to exquisitely by Michelle Kwan. Would get Vienna a little away from the coastline and more inland. :D I would love to hear a Vienna interpretation.
leon
"Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts." Albert Einstein

Orin Porter Rockwell

Postby Orin Porter Rockwell » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:06 am

Those are some great suggestions. I was thinking in my car today (while listening to the Warm Strangers album) that she could also do a fascinating version of a DOORS song called The River Told Me which was more of a piano piece then the organ. I think that it is a less popular Doors song but it is one of my favorites and I think Vienna could put a cool twist on it.

kristin
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby kristin » Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:59 pm

Personally, I'd love to hear her sing "My Skin" by Natalie Merchant--but that's only because it's my favorite song. ;)

kritaya
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby kritaya » Sat May 01, 2004 5:01 am

Late for the Sky, by Jackson Browne, is my personal favorite CD. There's a lot of songs on there that would fit VT like a glove. Late for the Sky, Fountain of Sorrow, Farther On, For a Dancer, Before the Deluge. Ah! My mind boggles at the thought of her covering any one of those! :blink:

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sat May 22, 2004 7:39 am

I would like to hear Vienna sing, It's Raining Again by Supertramp or maybe that song by Christine McVie where she is playing the piano called Got a hold on me I think that is the name.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

polly
Cool Stranger

Postby polly » Sat May 22, 2004 7:50 am

i'd like to hear Vienna play the piano and sing ÎÒÔ¸Òâ(I do) by Faye Wong....

it's a very beautiful and well-known chinese song.
<b><span style='color:green'>-=Aijuswanaseing=- </span></b>

JohnL
Warm Stranger

Postby JohnL » Sat May 22, 2004 2:01 pm

Echoing leon's message, I'd like to see what Vienna could do with Eva Cassidy's I Know You By Heart (good parts for Alan and Marika there too). If she's really up for a challenge, Over the Rainbow would be something she could try to put her twist on too, but that's sacred territory for some of us. If she ever pulled off a respectable post-Eva rendition in a live performance in DC, she'd bring the house down.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:15 am

I was listening to the radio at work and they played, It's Raining Again by Supertramp and it is definitely a song that Vienna could do a clever piano version of.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Cookie778
Cool Stranger

Postby Cookie778 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:23 am

I would love for Vienna to sing Sting's "fields of gold" ...but more along the lines of Eva Cassidy's version of the same song.

...and "let it be" by the Beatles and somewhere over the rainbow.

Alderon
Warm Stranger

Postby Alderon » Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:38 am

i'd like to hear vienna sing:

1. A Dream Like Mine - Bruce Cockburn
2. Moorlough Shore (traditional) - Caroline Lavelle's arrangement (without the beats)
3. The Old Ways - Loreena McKennitt
4. The Lady of Shalott - Loreena McKennitt
5. "Heen Goon Sing Gwong Ha" - Shirley Kwan (an old Cantonese pop song, probably could have a mandarin
translation; title means something like "Wishing Under the Stars"
6. All the Things I Wasn't - Grapes of Wrath

I think all the celtic stuff up there would be great for including cello too, and violin (well, it'd be fiddle) as well on the Old Ways. And All the Things I Wasn't could use strings too, esp. in the bridge-solo.

jamatthews
Cool Stranger

Postby jamatthews » Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:07 pm

Kate Bush - Hounds Of Love

Alderon
Warm Stranger

Postby Alderon » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:22 am

hey that's a cool song! it's so much fun! although i think she'd have to do it a bit tongue-in-cheek....

if i had to pick a kate bush song for her to cover, it'd be "Hello Earth" (during those weird astronaut/gregorian chant parts, maybe her cellists and violinists can improvise those parts, that would be so ultimately wicked!!)

i love that song.

Return to “The Cafe”