Happy Birthday, Vienna!

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Fred
Tengster

Happy Birthday, Vienna!

Postby Fred » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:10 am

(If Wikipedia is to be believed, it's Vienna's Birthday.) Enjoy the day, and may your next year be all you want it to be. By the way, Libras rule (after carefully weighing the evidence). ;-)

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:09 am

It certainly is her birthday :)

viennateng !! @highceilings sent @adamchristgau on secret mission - he returned w/a new mandolin for my birthday!! (Mine was stolen earlier this year)

Then

viennateng Which led to impromptu hotel room jam on mandolin xaphoon doo-wop vox & microwave buttons. I am a happy 31 (clearly not grown-up yet). Hee!

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:08 pm

Thanks, Roofboy179!

4 observations/conjectures/head-scratchers:

1) I found the 2nd tweet on my phone when I got up this morning. In place of the first one I got a premium-message-blocked message. Is that what a !! prefix to a tweet (or any txt) does? Premium high-priority or something? There is so much Twitter/txt grammar that I don't know.

2) Stolen mandolin must have been the used one she picked up on tour. Maybe stolen when her car was broken into in NYC.

3) I wonder if Vienna is serious about performing with mandolin and/or guitar more than in the past, or composing with it in mind? That would be interesting. I'm too new to know if she did the guitar part for Mission Street herself in live shows.

4) Paying attention to timing of the tweets and posts, I notice that the forum clock seems not to handle local DST in displaying times; my posts show to me as an hour earlier than real time, even though my timezone is correct. So if they show that way to others, rest assured that I did not cheat and wish Vienna a happy birthday an hour too soon!

terraphim86
Warm Stranger

Postby terraphim86 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:35 pm

Going to her show tonight - maybe she'll play new mandolin!

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:33 pm

Fred wrote:3) I wonder if Vienna is serious about performing with mandolin and/or guitar more than in the past, or composing with it in mind? That would be interesting. I'm too new to know if she did the guitar part for Mission Street herself in live shows.

I'm not sure if she's ever done Mission Street with guitar, but she's done it on the piano. I know she's done Nothing Without You on guitar, by doing some special tuning and covering an entire fret with a finger to play a chord.

But Vienna playing Mandolin on stage? That would be way too awesome.

Kalenabear
Warm Stranger

Postby Kalenabear » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:39 am

once when I was thirty-one
I woke in the dead of night
and heard the vastness of the snowfall outside
slipped downstairs in my bare feet
soon forgotten freezing
and pour a milk glass full
to wait out the tide

Is this Vienna's decade and one day? :)

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:41 am

Happy Belated Birthday to the singing Hobbit and it sounds like she had a great time on her B-Day.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:07 am

Kalenabear wrote:once when I was thirty-one
I woke in the dead of night
and heard the vastness of the snowfall outside
slipped downstairs in my bare feet
soon forgotten freezing
and pour a milk glass full
to wait out the tide

Is this Vienna's decade and one day? :)

-feels like a bad fan- How didn't i notice that?

mes70
Cool Stranger

Postby mes70 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:55 pm

Paper Raincoat surprised her with a cake!

Another wonderful show!

Happy Birthday, Vienna!

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:23 pm

That's a really good available-light shot. Care to share technical details?

terraphim86
Warm Stranger

Postby terraphim86 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:30 pm

I have photos and footage from last night's performance, as well as recordings (she performed "Decade and One" to rather spooky effect). I pieced together a bunch of footage into a mini-documentary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcGrsFtaCIA

That is a fantastic photo! Mine weren't as clear.

mes70
Cool Stranger

Postby mes70 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:30 pm

Fred wrote:That's a really good available-light shot. Care to share technical details?

Thanks!

1/80 sec, F2.8, 1600 ASA. Taken with the amazing Canon 70-200 F2.8L IS telephoto lens.

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:05 am

mes70 wrote:
Thanks!

1/80 sec, F2.8, 1600 ASA. Taken with the amazing Canon 70-200 F2.8L IS telephoto lens.

I'm an old 35mm SLR guy who's been hanging back on DSLR (Nikon? Canon?). Maybe this will get me off the dime. I'm impressed. Thanks!

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:41 am

terraphim86 wrote:I have photos and footage from last night's performance, as well as recordings (she performed "Decade and One" to rather spooky effect). I pieced together a bunch of footage into a mini-documentary:

Great- this is the Decade and One Birthday! Did she comment/reflect
on it?

Happy Birthday, Vienna!

s
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

terraphim86
Warm Stranger

Postby terraphim86 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:47 pm

This is what she said before performing Decade and One.

"I have not played this song in a long time, but tonight seemed like a very appropriate night to play it. I did the inadvisable thing when I was twenty-years old of writing a song about what I would be like in the future. I wrote it about when I would be the age that I am now. So, that makes this a little creepy. Some of the things are true, some of the things are very much not true...yet. And so, thank you in advance for indulging me because I thought it would be interesting to sing it tonight, and I feel the words as they went by. This is called 'Decade and One.'"

And I am here,
and I am here,
still standing.

Return to “The Cafe”