How many times have you seen Vienna live?(Updated 2009 poll)

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

How many times have you seen Vienna live (updated 2009)

Never
6%
0- 10
58%
10 - 20
19%
21 - 30
3%
31 - 40
No votes
41 - 50
3%
50+ (please explain!)
10%

Total votes: 31

Digital
Hot Stranger

Postby Digital » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:56 pm

I'm somewhere between 19 and 22 shows right now. Honestly, I can't quite remember all of them. Too many Wolf Traps, Ram's Heads, and a few Jammin Javas in there to remember. Anyway, I'll be adding 3 shows in the next week, so I'm safest in the 21-30 category.

Most memorable moments:

1) Being mistaken for the tour manager/artist management at the first Vienna show I ever saw - the house manager/owner kept asking me when the next artist was going on, prompting me to go ask the artists :-).

2) Not getting a original copy of Waking Hour by one copy (at the same show)

3) Running sound at one of Vienna's Mucky Duck performances (it was an interesting night to say the least)

4) Meeting Paul when he asked for a copy of the coming out of Blue Caravan at Jammin Java. Since it was unreleased, Vienna said no!

5) Falling flat on my ass during the first Caffe Vivaldi show.

6) Asking Vienna and Alex about the "special gift" at the Vivaldi shows

7) Sitting right up front at the Birchmere in Alexandria, VA, and being immersed in the music. The band was in a semi-circle with me at the apex for all intensive purposes.

8) The DVD taping - for the performance, the incredible sound, and most of all, the great company.

Kalenabear
Warm Stranger

Postby Kalenabear » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:15 am

I'm learning so much from everybody's show notes. :) As someone who jumped on the bandwagon rather late in 2007, this kind of "fanon" (fan canon) often offers more insight than press articles. They're def more intimate, more inspective. Loving the little details from the different sets of eyes. Aaparallel mentioned it in another thread, so I'll just echo that I'm also grateful to this community for the rich tapestry of stories.

I'll jot down some memories soon, but first...I'm itching to go to the SF live recording but getting lots of heat for it. "You're gonna fly all the way up there for that?!" Boo :(

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:16 pm

Kalenabear wrote:I'll jot down some memories soon, but first...I'm itching to go to the SF live recording but getting lots of heat for it. "You're gonna fly all the way up there for that?!" Boo :(

Which will you regret more: missing three shows in two days, or being teased mercilessly for going?

Right now there are flights out Long Beach -> SFO on JetBlue on Saturday morning for $39, and back on Southwest SFO -> LAX on Monday morning for $39. Don't put off the decision...and next time tell your friends you're going sightseeing. ;)

tanthalas
Tengster

Postby tanthalas » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:12 pm

Michele wrote:next time tell your friends you're going sightseeing. ;)

Pfft. Flying to see a Vienna show (or 3!) is much more legit than sightseeing.

Kalenabear
Warm Stranger

Postby Kalenabear » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:15 am

Michele wrote:Which will you regret more: missing three shows in two days, or being teased mercilessly for going?

Right now there are flights out Long Beach -> SFO on JetBlue on Saturday morning for $39, and back on Southwest SFO -> LAX on Monday morning for $39. Don't put off the decision...and next time tell your friends you're going sightseeing. ;)

Missing the shows! So, okay, I'll admit that I'm shifting the blame on my friends when really I've just lacked foresight and good planning. There's more of a where-to-stay, how-to-get-around issue (even with the BART). Money's not really a problem, either... but $39?! Wow, thanks for the tip!

It's okay, I made some calls and sent some emails out yesterday. Hopefully I'll get some responses and see y'all in SF soon.

Oh, and sightseeing? Hell yeah! SF has some great attractions! But since it's Vienna and Alex, wouldn't the more appropriate term be STARGAZING? 8)

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:27 am

Hope you do make the show! LA to SF is hardly even worth being razzed about compared to the distances some people have been known to travel .... ;)

s
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Digital
Hot Stranger

Postby Digital » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:51 am

They're right. LA to SF you don't even cross the state line. Personally, I've never traveled more 9,000 miles (give or take a little) for a concert. Well, I was coming home anyway, but I did divert 1,000 miles, two stops, and three days to catch 3 concerts. Which were well worth it. I beat my jetlag by staying up for 30 hours to see the first show in SF, followed by a pair in Seattle, the second of which ended up being a total request show by me and a friend (yes we made up the whole set list).

I've also gone from Houston to Toronto twice, Houston to Vancouver two or three times, Washington DC to Toronto twice, DC to Philly 3 times, DC to NYC, and DC to eastern Canada just for concerts. I can certainly say it was always worth it - except the time I went to Toronto and they cancelled the show the day before. That kinda sucked.

Make the trip. You won't regret it.

pudding
Warm Stranger

Postby pudding » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:35 am

I *proudly* stated to my friends that I was flying to Maui and back the same night for Vienna's concert in November which made my friends think that Vienna must be really great for me to do that. Which we all know is true! :D So stand proud and make the trip!

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:44 pm

pudding wrote:I *proudly* stated to my friends that I was flying to Maui and back the same night for Vienna's concert in November which made my friends think that Vienna must be really great for me to do that.

... and that you were a little strange, too. :D

Aloha! :)

s
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Digital
Hot Stranger

Postby Digital » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:15 am

pudding wrote:I *proudly* stated to my friends that I was flying to Maui and back the same night for Vienna's concert in November which made my friends think that Vienna must be really great for me to do that. Which we all know is true! :D So stand proud and make the trip!

And that you must be stalking her! (j/k)

pudding
Warm Stranger

Postby pudding » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:08 am

yeah...they did think it was a bit over the top to fly over for a concert. Besides, 250 miles is a lot less than some have traveled. :D

tanthalas
Tengster

Postby tanthalas » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:57 pm

Well... when I mentioned to my friends the thought of flying over to Hawaii for those shows, they were completely unsurprised.

I'm not sure what that means.

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:42 pm

At last night shows, we had people who crossed both the Atlantic and the Pacific oceans for these shows! (And yes, I was one of them.) ;0

s

Digital
Hot Stranger

Postby Digital » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:12 pm

FWIW, several of us crossed at least one river to get there.

terraphim86
Warm Stranger

Postby terraphim86 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:41 pm

As of last night - 3! It was amazing!

Return to “The Cafe”