How many times have you seen Vienna live?(Updated 2009 poll)

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

How many times have you seen Vienna live (updated 2009)

Never
6%
0- 10
58%
10 - 20
19%
21 - 30
3%
31 - 40
No votes
41 - 50
3%
50+ (please explain!)
10%

Total votes: 31

Kalenabear
Warm Stranger

How many times have you seen Vienna live?(Updated 2009 poll)

Postby Kalenabear » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:24 am

From fellow members' suggestions....It looks like we need an updated poll from this threadsince both Vienna and her fanbase have come a long way since 2003!

Any stand-out concerts? Notable meet-and-greets? Long across-the-state-line drives? Awkward fangirl/boy moments like I've had myself? (doh!) :p Please share!

Should I change the poll increments?

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:09 am

3 this coming october, maybe 4. If anyone wondered.

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:58 pm

Ok, I'm on board. 3 so far, 1 more ticketed. All in 2009, all in the NYC area. 1 pre-tour duo (but warming up IT songs), 2 trio, next one will be duo. Best so far: the latest one, trio in Westhampton Beach. Single best moment: singing along to Soon Love Soon encore of my first show (Emelin); made me a fan forever. Most amazing opener: Ben Sollee (Le Poisson Rouge). Cover I've heard that needs to be on an album: Idioteque. Still waiting to hear live: Radio, Watershed, Pontchartrain, Drought, Mercy Street.

BTW the categories in the poll overlap a bit, but not a big deal.

I really want to hear stories from the 50+ vets!!

Erik
Warm Stranger

Re: How many times have you seen Vienna live?(Updated 2009 p

Postby Erik » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:14 am

Kalenabear wrote:From fellow members' suggestions....It looks like we need an updated poll from this threadsince both Vienna and her fanbase have come a long way since 2003!

Any stand-out concerts? Notable meet-and-greets? Long across-the-state-line drives? Awkward fangirl/boy moments like I've had myself? (doh!) :p Please share!

Should I change the poll increments?

I've been to 99 shows now but wish the last one I went to had been my hundredth because it was a really fun experience. The show I am referring to was the Theatreworks show at the Lucie Stern Theatre in Palo Alto. A lot of my favorite Vienna Teng moments came from shows in Palo Alto actually. She always puts on a great show and has a great crowd when she plays there.

Other standout concerts would be:

1. The one where she sang to a poster of Eminem that we eventually covered with a jacket because it became distracting at a Tower Records.

2. The one where someone actually requested that she play "Waking Hour" and she did. This was before "Waking Hour" grew up and got words and became a little tune called "Harbor" which some of you may be familiar with.

3. The CNN taping at Palo Alto Borders was fun. The actual ballroom dancing during Between was even better.

4. A show where there was no space whatsoever at Hear Music, where we basically sat under Vienna's keyboard.

5. The show with Estonia, the reggae version of The Tower and revolving musicians at The Independent.

6. The other show with Estonia, the reggae version of The Tower and revolving musicians at The Independent.

7. That one over there at Fort Mason was pretty cool too. I sat next to Vienna's grandmother and got pretty emotional throughout the night.

8. I liked the Atlanta Variety Playhouse show probably the best from the Inland Territory tour. It was great to see Katie Herzig, Ben Sollee and Vienna, Alex and Ward do their thing to close out that bit of the tour.

9. Vienna's shows at the Freight and Salvage, collectively. Outstanding collaborations with Kyler England and The Animators at those shows as well.

10. Anytime we can see her at the Bazaar Cafe.

11. Vienna performing with Glen Phillips in Seattle.

12. The Vienna Teng Trio (with Marika and Alan) on the Wayne Brady Show.

13. Hell, all 99 of the shows and the countless experiences we've shared with Vienna and her fans have been great, I can't really rank this stuff.

Moments I don't like:
When the venue shuts me down for taping right in the coolest moment possible to have captured on film.

This has happened numerous times.

aaparallel
Getting Stranger

Postby aaparallel » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:31 am

Erik wrote: The show I am referring to was the Theatreworks show at the Lucie Stern Theatre in Palo Alto. A lot of my favorite Vienna Teng moments came from shows in Palo Alto actually. She always puts on a great show and has a great crowd when she plays there.

The Lucie Stern concert was the third concert (not including the times she played for Mr. Wong's class) I went to! Going to my fourth in October. I agree, that Palo Alto concert was something else. Vienna's vocals were fantastic, and she made the flow of story and music run perfectly. My favorite moment(s) was that medley of mini-covers. Totally unexpected and sooo fun! Other favorite moments were the opening with Green Island Serenade and after the concert when she gave me a hug and said "I've seen your Facebook comments!"

Other memorable moments: Singing the one note of Gravity with the rest of the audience at the Santa Cruz concert in the Rio Theater back in April, after I had started saying "Yay" rather distinctly before my favorite songs and caught the attention of both Vienna and the rest of my aisle (Vienna: "I should loop the audience saying 'yay' to boost my ego..."). Yeah, that was me. :wink:

When Vienna and Alex signed my yearbook and took pictures with me in Mr. Wong's class. Vienna: "It's a good picture! Yay!"

Awkward (TOTALLY awkward) moments: Before the Santa Cruz concert when we actually saw Vienna's van park and Vienna walking out of it. My dad kicked us out and told us to go say hi. So, true story, she couldn't walk five feet from her van without being accosted by me saying "Hey! Remember me from Mr. Wong's class??"

After the Santa Cruz concert, after talking to Alex, Ward, and Adam, saw Vienna on the stage cleaning up, when she dropped Alex's waterphone with a crash. I proceeded to scream "You broke his waterphone!" Thankfully, she was loopy that night, and didn't seem to remember any of that the next time I saw her. I felt horrible.
"Drowning my pain in lemonade. . . Singing along to 'feelin' alright'"

tanthalas
Tengster

Postby tanthalas » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:22 am

Erik wrote:Moments I don't like:
When the venue shuts me down for taping right in the coolest moment possible to have captured on film.

This has happened numerous times.

Gotta watch out for the dude in the red shirt.

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:44 am

Fred wrote:I really want to hear stories from the 50+ vets!!

Paul's out on the road on tour already...probably you'll have to hear stories from him in person. Maybe tapers should get some audio stories recorded...

So that leaves me, e, and Mai-Sie as far as I know...40+ is nothing to sneeze at though...

Stand-out concerts

Feb 15, 2003 Sunol
Whenever I see something about "best show ever" this one always still comes to mind. It was a two set show, on a proper "stage" although just slightly raised up. It was the first time we saw "Passage" and her first time to play "Sounds of Silence" in public, which she didn't do again for many years afterward. I really really need to put this on DVD and haven't gotten to it.

Dec 08, 2004 Little Fox - with Kyler
Dec 15, 2004 San Francisco - with Estonia
Dec 29, 2004 Berkeley - with The Animators
I could list every show at the Independent, but for me, 2004 was really the standout special holiday series of shows.

There really ought to be many more concerts listed here...but my memory fails me. Begs the question, does that mean then that no other shows have stood out for me over the years? :( I know that's not true, they just kinda have all melted together over the years. I feel that if it was memorable, then I posted about it here on the forum. For stand-out moments though, certainly we've gotten those posted up on YouTube.

Notable meet-and-greets

Still not getting over V coming over to me after the first show we saw, and asked me if I was the one on the forum who had asked to videotape.

Long across-the-state-line drives

We've driven across state lines for Vienna four times:

Philadelphia, PA to Journal Square, NJ and back, to see Vienna in New York the night before the DVD taping. We wanted so badly to stay for Kaki King but were too tired. Spent the drive back cursing often and at the top of my lungs to stay awake. (I remembered later Vienna told us long ago she did that too)

Seattle, WA to Portland, OR and back in 2007, nothing happened of note for that drive.

Atlanta, GA to Charlotte, NC in 2009. The plan was to take SC scenic route 11, but we got on too early, on GA route 11. We still made it in time for soundcheck, but will have to go back to see SC 11 properly, since we ran out of time to stop on it.

Pittsburgh, PA to Akron, OH in 2009. I had wished to be able to spend some more time at JFK's Terminal 5, and I got my wish, but in the "be careful" way. We got stuck there on a layover due to our plane out of SFO arriving very late, and had to take a later connecting flight to Pittsburgh. We got to my 100th show with 5 minutes to spare.

Awkward fangirl moments

To be honest? I've felt like an awkward fangirl up 'til probably the past couple of years, when I started helping out with the web stuff. It's so funny how she's so nice and you can really talk to her about whatever, yet we all have moments where we just blank out talking to her :D

Isiolith
Cool Stranger

Postby Isiolith » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:30 am

Twice, both times at Shubas' Tavern in Chicago, the second time of which I had a meet n' greet where I called Alex "crazy" (in the...good? sense) for playing that night in Chicago and then hopping a plane back to NYC (I think?). I meant it in a good way, but it's kind of embarrassing to look back on!

Possibly going up to the October show in Evanston -- just need to find someone to go with!

Linus
Cool Stranger

Postby Linus » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:48 am

15 shows for me until now.

Notable meet-and-greets
The day after the Highline Ballroom show, i took the subway down to Coney Island, i walked all down the pier when a light shower came up, with the temperature being about 30°C and 80%+ humidity i was like, "oh, thats nice". Minutes later i was soaking wet because the slight rainshower turned into a full-blown cloudburst in mere seconds. I decided to get back to the hostel to change my clothes, and took the N-train back to Manhattan. So i´m coming down the stairs at 14th St/Union Square at rush hour to the L-train direction Brooklyn and find VIENNA standing in front of me reading a book. That was like the biggest wtf-moment EVER. We talked about the books we read/are reading while driving back to Brooklyn in the most crowded train i´ve ever been in. XD

I didn´t do any long across-the-state drives but i can offer 2 transatlantic flights alone in 2009 (#3 coming up in Dec if everything goes well, yay).
Flying from Philly to NYC in a DHC-8 at night was crazy, the sights were fantastic, the plane flew all the way from lower Manhattan up to the Bronx with a perfect view on the skyline.

NJ Fan Chris
Warm Stranger

Postby NJ Fan Chris » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:42 am

As mentioned last week, I’m sitting at 41.

Favorite moments:

1) October 31, 2003 -- first time seeing Vienna live -- The Bottom Line, NYC, on the bill with Robyn Hitchcock. The legendary Bottom Line closed its doors less than a month later. After her set, Vienna sat alone at the bar, Sharpie in hand; only myself and one other person approached her to get a copy of Waking Hour signed. Compare that with the lines of folks who come up to her today. And of course being in the Village on Halloween was an experience in itself.

2) July 6, 2005-- A hot summer evening at Madison Square Park, NYC. Vienna was to perform a free show. My train to NYC was late to arrive in Clifton, NJ, and a fierce thunderstorm blew in while I was waiting on the uncovered platform -- wicked lightning hitting close by, and huge thunder -- I mean, it was scary. As I surfaced from the subway at Madison Square Park, another big storm was in full fury over there. The concert was canceled, leaving just a handful of us drenched fans standing around staring with long faces at the tarp-covered piano. Vienna graciously invited us to come under the tarp, and she performed three songs -- Lullabye, Harbor and I forget the third. After the rainout, she was able to get a midnight show at The Living Room, which is not listed in the tour archives page.

3) January 21, 2007. The DVD taping at World Café Live.

4) Falcon Ridge Folk Festival new artist showcase. Just two songs at 12-noon in the intense mid-July sun. Not fun. But later that day, as I was working alone in the Outpost In The Burbs tent and wearing my Green Caravan shirt, Vienna wandered in. OK, she didn’t wander in -- I frantically waved her in as she was walking by. :lol:

5) April 24, 2008. In my seventh year volunteering at Outpost In The Burbs, Vienna came to perform! I told the other vols that they would have to fight me to emcee that one. And on that evening I had the honor of introducing Vienna to the audience. Yep, that’s my favorite moment. 8)
"From Bottom Line to Highline"

The_Man_in_Blue
Getting Stranger

Postby The_Man_in_Blue » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:11 am

Anchorage was number 264 for me. I think Scot holds the record for longest distance travelled for a concert and my London concerts trip was further; but at 4100 miles one-way, I think this concert gets me the the record for a road trip for a single show. My planned show number 265, Northampton MA, is more than 5000 miles from here. With just 9 days to get there, I need to get on the road, so no time for road stories. But here is a link to a previous post about a funny adventure in Montreal: http://viennateng.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... k+montreal

Paul

eirlys
Warm Stranger

Postby eirlys » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:52 pm

wow, just imagine seeing vienna from the very beginning. a beautiful transformation.
i've only seen her live 3 times! and met her once quite shortly...but the shows were all wonderful. maybe a fourth time will happen this year? who knows...

jaynev
Howdy, Stranger!

Postby jaynev » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:33 pm

Never 7% [ 1 ]
0- 10 42% [ 6 ]
10 - 20 21% [ 3 ]
21 - 30 0% [ 0 ]
31 - 40 0% [ 0 ]
41 - 50 7% [ 1 ]
50+ (please explain!) 21% [ 3 ]

interesting results :)
Last edited by jaynev on Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Isiolith
Cool Stranger

Postby Isiolith » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:10 am

Time three'll be Evanston next week; time four will be in St. Louis in November.

Scot
Tengster

I can't believe it's only been 10

Postby Scot » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:59 am

Wow - only 10 shows for me, but I've certainly listened to a LOT more and
I'm stoked to be making it out to NY for some Dec shows.

Standouts for me had to include my first show: 31Mar04 at the Cactus Cafe in Austin (where I did my grad work). I wish I could find a recording of this show. Brother Henry opened. The music was great -the audience was enraptured and VIenna's between-song stories were wonderful. And it was my first time seeing her, have just "discovered her" only a month or two before.

Next would be my house concert of course- VIenna Teng and Alan Lin at the Cloud Country Party Barn: 10OCt04.

Then, there'd be the 29Dec04 F&S show Michele mentioned and of course, the DVD taping: 21Jan07. Paul may be right -Hawaii to Philly and NYC (Bowery) is about 5000mi, so he may just eek past my travel record. :)

s
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Return to “The Cafe”