August 2009 Twitter Q&A - transcript

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Trialia
Cool Stranger

August 2009 Twitter Q&A - transcript

Postby Trialia » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:47 pm

With thanks to roofboy179 for finishing this off after I had to go get some sleep :) we have a transcript of everything with the #vtqna hashtag from last night's Q&A.

plain text
public LiveJournal post (HTML formatted)

For those of you who didn't take part... enjoy :)
and breathe my breath
just to share the air
that I have known
and to learn
who it is that you see
whose eyes fall half-shut before you
in silence

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:52 pm

Thanks you two, for working on this! It's very much appreciated.

Now that the hard work is completed, I have more :o Could you please add in some non-tagged stuff that Vienna answered or typed herself? I've put in the previous tweets so you know where to place them. There's plenty more untagged conversational stuff, but I'm not sure if Vienna wants it all in there, so I left it out for now.

- viennateng: @_flynn I figure I won't flood non-participants with tonight's tweets, and anyone who wants to tune in can search for #vtqna...Good plan?

- kurtharsis: @viennateng Album arrangements specifically, but speaking of live, whom do I have to bribe to get you to play in St. Louis?

- viennateng: @Eridanus Yes, studio/live provide different parameters for making music, focus one's mindset in different ways. #vtqna

- viennateng: @kalenabear Perceptions by the industry, or of the industry by music fans? (Also, hi!)

- viennateng: @_flynn Re: interpretations of Recessional, I love the one where someone actually put the lyrics in reverse: http://bit.ly/18SZpE #vtqna

- recessional: @viennateng of all your released songs so far, which lyrics are you most proud of? in its entirety, i mean, not just one sentence. ;p

- viennateng: @Eridanus I do lurk on the forum about once a week. Lovely group of folks, though occasionally *strange*. ;^) Also sometimes... #vtqna

- disarming: @viennateng LAist interview piqued my interest - what became of the songs with the really emo titles? What's one you could recycle & redeem?

- OSMOSExINVERSEE: @viennateng Will you do a tour Canada? #vtqna

- viennateng: @Eridanus ...exceedingly polite/sincere re: me. Critical/sarcastic is OK, no really! But grateful for such thoughtful listeners. #vtqna

- disarming: @viennateng Also would love if you shared more titles - as it's comforting I wasn't alone in writing emo poetry all over my Trapper Keeper

- dslnyc: @viennateng Where are you going to base in coming years?

- viennateng: @recessional Most pleased with...Recessional, actually. Hee. In Another Life, Passage & a fair # on Dreaming are up there too. #vtqna

- reirei86: @viennateng How often do you get to go home when you're on tour? Do you ever get homesick?

- viennateng: @smallred9t7 Not sure who originally performed The Olive Tree, but Qi Yu's version is most famous I think. #vtqna

- thinkshrink: ViennaTeng-Each song on Inland is so unique & incredibly complex. The variations are staggering.#vtqna

- dslnyc: @viennateng CHYI YU was the original singer of oliver trees. She is the most sophisticated Chinese singer.

- viennateng: @chirrio23 We're looking to open for/share w/someone for our next LA show. Routing didn't work for this fall, but next spring! #vtqna

- Jenster: @viennateng i really hope your music and YOU will come to Hong Kong some day soon!

- viennateng: @thinkshrink Home = strange concept these days. I guess SF is "where I'm from" (roots), NYC is "where I'm based" (state of mind now) #vtqna

- viennateng: @thinkshrink Yes, we'll be on Cayamo 3 for sure! http://www.cayamo.com/Artists/

- viennateng: @OSMOSExINVERSEE RT Playing in Canada is often tricky to justify financially (1-2 shows for steep immigration/work permit fees) #vtqna

- viennateng: @OSMOSExINVERSEE RT But if we tour w/Canadian artist (e.g. Sarah Harmer, Kathleen Edwards) that would be a great way to get there #vtqna

- viennateng: @roofboy179 Lavender chamomile tea. Mmm. :^)

Trialia
Cool Stranger

Postby Trialia » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:02 pm

Sure thing, Michele. You've done the work of adding them into the flow where they need to be put, so it's not a hard thing to edit the files to reflect that. :) If there's anything more, let me know and I'll edit it in. Thanks. :)

Edit: All of the above tweets have been added to both files. :)
and breathe my breath
just to share the air
that I have known
and to learn
who it is that you see
in silence

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:14 pm

Thank you very much for your service to the community, Trialia and Roofboy179!!

I guess the 2 most useful pieces of knowledge I got from lastnite's exchange (first Twitter conference I've ever been on, btw, and it works really well) were a couple of VT-future projections, one in answer to one of my own questions:

First, Vienna's own take on the forum topic, "Where will she land?" Her answers were NY or LA or Chi or "abroad" (presumably Europe, possibly Germany where her major European audience is). Actually, she said Chi/Ann Arbor. Having lived in MI for a few years, I never realized Chi and Ann Arbor were near each other, but whatever; I guess it depends on your perspective. All are large metropolitan areas with good air connections and lots of places to gig between tours; perfectly sensible. From her posts Vienna seems to find LA a natural fit but NYC more energizing, and her love of the Midwest has been in lyrical evidence for some time. Europe connects her with history in a way she cares about, so the muse may want to move there. Also her audiences may be larger there. (Is that true? If so, she would only be the latest in a long line of American jazz and popular musicians to do better in Europe than at home.)

The answer to my question was that she was interested in Lilith Fair 2010. While I like a lot of different music I do have a special place in my heart for female singer-songwriters (I'll bet I'm not alone in that among this group), and that sounds like quite an exciting possibility.

Michele
Strange

Postby Michele » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:41 pm

Trialia wrote:Edit: All of the above tweets have been added to both files. :)

Thank you! Something odd happened with the first set though, it's way up at the top and should be here:

- viennateng: @kurtharsis Album arrangements or live? Lately for both Alex (@highceilings) plays a central role; he's behind most inspired choices #vtqna

- viennateng: @annaybunny Experimenting w/only octaves on piano + memories of reading Confessions in college + fascination w/faith & conversion #vtqna

- viennateng: @_flynn I figure I won't flood non-participants with tonight's tweets, and anyone who wants to tune in can search for #vtqna...Good plan?

- kurtharsis: @viennateng Album arrangements specifically, but speaking of live, whom do I have to bribe to get you to play in St. Louis?

- viennateng: @_flynn Gravity is still most satisfying & malleable to play. White Light is tough. Going to brave putting Radio in the set soon too. #vtqna

The rest are in place, and I'll send this off to Vienna to check out once that's fixed.

Trialia
Cool Stranger

Postby Trialia » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:38 pm

Michele wrote:Thank you! Something odd happened with the first set though, it's way up at the top and should be here:

The rest are in place, and I'll send this off to Vienna to check out once that's fixed.

Not sure how it happened, but it's sorted. :)
and breathe my breath
just to share the air
that I have known
and to learn
who it is that you see
in silence

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:19 pm

Trialia wrote:Not sure how it happened, but it's sorted. :)

That was actually probably my fault.

Kalenabear
Warm Stranger

Postby Kalenabear » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:14 am

Michele wrote: Now that the hard work is completed, I have more :o Could you please add in some non-tagged stuff that Vienna answered or typed herself?

The answer to my question about the perceptions of the industry is in the transcript, but I have one post that was not in the chat and one reply that got left out!

viennateng@kalenabear Yay! So glad you got to see @springstandards. They're about the nicest people ever too; always cool when amazing performers are.

This one is right after Vienna says she wants to do a spoof music video, hahah.

@kalenabear I've also always wanted to write a song & make a video for an über-pop song in which I attempt & utterly fail to be sexy. #vtqna

Thanks again Trialia and Roofboy for the transcript! It was great to Twitter with you guys and everybody else here on the forum. :)

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:59 am

I totally veged on the Q&A time, but I did catch up on twitter, but great
to see this transcript here. I'll definitely link to it on warmstrangers.com! :)

Thanks!!!

scot
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Kalenabear
Warm Stranger

Postby Kalenabear » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:07 am

Hey, I've more or less grouped the questions and answers together, if not categorized them by topic...because i'm a bit crazy, hahaa. We greatly greatly appreciate Trialia and Roofboy's transcripts-- you two are awesome! Just thought this would make it a little easier to follow the conversation (yay, teamwork!). I'm sure there are still some stray questions and answers, though.

Vienna's tweets are in bold.

Could somebody please put this on a separate window/page? I don't have a webhost...and I'm very computer-illiterate, hee. Thanks in advance!

- viennateng: Clarification! Q&A is 6-9pm Pacific TODAY (which is Sun 1-4am UTC). Sorry for the typo. See y'all soon! #vtqna

- _flynn: @viennateng Power at Red Rock, yes. :) #vtqna - when you're trying to tell yourself something, by what name do you call yourself? :)
- viennateng: @_flynn I scold myself as V for musical mishaps (or *cough* missed flights to gigs), but for more personal stuff, usually C. #vtqna

- reirei86: @viennateng Are you going to cover or write anymore Chinese songs? #vtqna
- viennateng: @reirei86 We recorded a cover of [kanji] (Ganlanshu/The Olive Tree) for Inland Territory, will probably come out as a b-side sometime. #vtqna
- reirei86: @viennateng I can't wait to hear The Olive Tree! Do you play for private parties? A.k.a. My house :)? Free room and tour of the city! #vtqna

- disarming: @viennateng: So excited you have a DC show coming - I haven't seen you in a year! What are the best concerts you've ever attended? #vtqna
- viennateng: @disarming Some favorite shows: Spring Standards, Kaki King, Pete & J, Radiohead @ Bonnaroo '06, Regina Spektor @ Outside Lands '08 #vtqna
- viennateng: @disarming Enjoying shows is as much about environment as performers I think. Sadly was distracted for much of @ImogenHeap show once. #vtqna

- CharlieWaters: @ViennaTeng - Hi Vienna - any plans to gig in the UK in the near future? (Love your music!) #vtqna
- viennateng: @CharlieWaters Would love to return to the UK. Timing CD release there has proven tricky but we're working on it! Hopefully next year #vtqna

- Eridanus: @viennateng Whilst recording IT u preferred studio to live shows; 2 yrs ago the reverse. D'you *actually* prefer whatever's current? #vtqna
- viennateng: @Eridanus Hmm, you're right. Recording/playing live, the current activity is what I prefer. Guess it's better than the inverse... #vtqna
- viennateng: @Eridanus Prefer for different reasons, I guess: live performance is play, studio is work. Work->sense of worth. Play->instant grat #vtqna
- Eridanus: @viennateng I asked cos of how you interact with an audience.Live: inevitably tech.'imperfect' - but with a vibrance the studio lacks #vtqna
- viennateng: @Eridanus Yes, studio/live provide different parameters for making music, focus one's mindset in different ways. #vtqna

- trialia: @viennateng for this? yep #vtqna also, my q, when are you coming back to Britain, any plans to in the near future? :)
- viennateng: @trialia Hope next time we'll play places outside London, I know the city can be claustrophobic for some (though I confess I love it) #vtqna

- kurtharsis: @viennateng #vtqna Your arrangements tend towards unique with unusual instrument choices. How much of that is you? What guides the decisions?
- viennateng: @kurtharsis Album arrangements or live? Lately for both Alex (@highceilings) plays a central role; he's behind most inspired choices #vtqna
- viennateng: @kurtharsis I believe we're working on a Nov date @ Off Broadway in St. Louis. Send good booking vibes Jordan Burger's way :^) #vtqna

- _flynn: @viennateng Thanks, one (two?) more for the moment: which songs've been hardest, and easiest, to play out? #vtqna
- _flynn: @viennateng You might also start answers with a "." (.@whoever) so that your followers see all the answers more easily... #vtqna
- viennateng: @_flynn Gravity is still most satisfying & malleable to play. White Light is tough. Going to brave putting Radio in the set soon too. #vtqna
- Eridanus: @viennateng Relieved you still like Gravity - the remarkably intense&versatile song which hooked me when you&Marika played it for BBC #vtqna
- _flynn: @viennateng Concur w/@Eridanus on Gravity. You've already heard how much I liked White Light live. :) #vtqna

- annaybunny: Oops, that was supposed to have a hashtag. @viennateng What's the story behind Augustine? What inspired you to write it? #vtqna
- Eridanus: @viennateng *I'd* like some Augustine hints too. @zzcett & I (Scott & Rotkehlchen) puzzled about the lyrics since you published them #vtqna
- viennateng: @annaybunny Experimenting w/only octaves on piano + memories of reading Confessions in college + fascination w/faith & conversion #vtqna

- invokeuse: @viennateng: I'm curious about why you switched over to first-person tweets? #vtqna
- viennateng: @invokeuse 3rd-person inhibited sentence construction. Having an observer tweet on yr account in 3rd person would be funny though. #vtqna
- viennateng: @invokeuse e.g. "_ has that pensive look, like she may have found some gravel in this mouthful of Grape Nuts but isn't certain yet" #vtqna

- smallred9t7: @viennateng Any plans on coming across the border and touring Canada? #vtqna
- viennateng: @smallred9t7 Playing in Canada is often tricky to justify financially (1-2 shows for steep immigration/work permit fees) #vtqna
- viennateng: @smallred9t7 But if we could tour w/Canadian artist (e.g. Sarah Harmer, Kathleen Edwards) that would be a great way to get there #vtqna
- OSMOSExINVERSEE: @viennateng well, i do hope some day you can come to Canada ^^ #vtqna

- kurtharsis: @Lefsetz In light of your disc w/ A Palmer about connecting w/ the audience, @viennateng is doing a Twitter Q&N: #vtqna

- annaybunny: @viennateng I'm in love with your cover of Idioteque. Any chance of an official recording?
- viennateng: @annaybunny Idioteque was another fine idea from @highceilings. Plotting for live album, that'll likely be in the set. Glad you like! #vtqna
- annaybunny: @viennateng A live album sounds awesome! I'll look forward to it. :) #vtqna

- kalenabear: I'm il-twitterite, so let's hope this is right. What's one of the biggest misconceptions of the industry,iyo? Thanks for the q&a! #vtqna
- viennateng: @kalenabear Perceptions by the industry, or of the industry by music fans? (Also, hi!)
- kalenabear: @viennateng @kalenabear "Perceptions by the industry, or of the industry by music fans?" the latter. #vtqna
- viennateng: @kalenabear Main misperception of industry: that there is a single music industry, maybe. Many worlds that hardly know of each other. #vtqna

- trialia: @viennateng thought of something else- your music is used in Battlestar Galactica fanmixes for Roslin & Adama a lot. Ever watch it? #vtqna
- viennateng: @trialia Fanmixes = fascinating new form to me, albeit foreign since I hardly watch TV. Should watch more SF shows and anime perhaps. #vtqna

- proclubboy: @viennateng How did you come to realize you wanted to be a musician when you were at Cisco? Were you scared of the job switch? #vtqna
- viennateng: @proclubboy Realized I wanted to pursue music well before Cisco, so it was just a matter of timing. Signing w/Virt was the impetus. #vtqna
- viennateng: @proclubboy But leaving Cisco was still scary. Mostly b/c I had no idea what to do music-business wise and had no talent for it. #vtqna

- trialia: @viennateng also if you ever get the time, would love sheet music for DTTN someday :) if it's a possibility? thx! #vtqna
- viennateng: @trialia The goal is to have sheet music for every album over the next few years. Maybe released concurrently w/audio, eventually! #vtqna

- roofboy179: Oh. Using #vtqna is actually a better idea. -Feels suddenly #unmanly -

- rflrob: @viennateng At what point, and why, did Blue Caravan lyrics change from "Go IF you have to" to "Go WHERE you have to"? #vtqna
- viennateng: @rflrob I think "if/where" switch in Blue Caravan happened over course of a tour. Seemed right to have him accept an inevitability. #vtqna

- Eridanus: @viennateng Geeky BTW: Hope someone'll archive your #vtqna within a week,since it'll probably disappear from @Twitter Search soon after that
- trialia: *pokes @Eridanus* actually, I was going to myself! :P If @viennateng doesn't mind? #vtqna

- kalenabear: @viennateng what can we Angelenos do to help get you in SoCal more often? :p Appreciate it every time you make a stop here, tho! #vtqna
- viennateng: @kalenabear Trying to figure out how to do something a bit different each time we return to LA. Would love to play theaters more... #vtqna

- _flynn: @viennateng Ah, two more: how many interpretations have you heard for who "she" is in Recessional, and what's your favorite? #vtqna
- viennateng: @_flynn Re: interpretations of Recessional, I love the one where someone actually put the lyrics in reverse: http://bit.ly/18SZpE #vtqna
- annaybunny: @viennateng What are your favorite albums of all time/of the moment? #vtqna
- viennateng: @annaybunny All-time favorites: most of Simon & Garfunkel and Radiohead discographies. Current obsession: Laura Veirs' Saltbreakers. #vtqna

- frazierd: @viennateng Who are your favorite artists/bands? Who did you enjoy playing with the most? #vtqna
- viennateng: @frazierd Some great hangs on tour: @paper_raincoat @bensollee @julianvelard @davidberkeley @jennyowenyoungs @kylerengland #vtqna
- viennateng: @frazierd Also @thecatapult @katieherzig @glenphillips, Brandi Carlile. Marc Cohn and Joan Baez were wonderfully kind headliners too. #vtqna
- FredLI: @viennateng Concur w/you re: Joan Baez. Very classy; she's boosted many others' careers over the years (e.g., Dar Williams). #vtqna

- roofboy179: @viennateng What song from IT do u like playing live the most? Also, do u want another pie when u make your way back thru Milwaukee? #vtqna
- viennateng: @roofboy179 Grandmother Song is most fun live from Inland Territory, though success rests heavily on audience. Also Antebellum. #vtqna
- viennateng: @roofboy179 Thanks for awesome pie last time! Also, not sure whether to thank or hate you for getting @highceilings that xaphoon ;^) #vtqna

- _flynn: @viennateng Not sure of the title but years ago you did something live with the chorus "...and the boy with the piano plays on..." #vtqna
- _flynn: @viennateng Did you ever record that? :) #vtqna
- viennateng: @_flynn Boy At The Piano was fun to play live for a while but lyrics are hard to sing w/a straight face these days :^) Should be... #vtqna
- viennateng: @_flynn ...some on archive.org though, as I've greenlighted releasing bootlegs of it: http://bit.ly/HxZx6 #vtqna

- JohnnyNaked: @viennateng Can you see the sun setting from where you're sitting? (Enjoying the informative & pleasant tweet cacophony!) #vtqna
- viennateng: @JohnnyNaked On 2nd floor of a cafe, can see sunset reflecting off palm trees across the street. Many geeks w/laptops all around... #vtqna

- Eridanus: @viennateng Do you enjoy your Forum as much as we do? I like to think you lurk occasionally, & secretly read some of what we post ;) #vtqna
- viennateng: @Eridanus I do lurk on the forum about once a week. Lovely group of folks, though occasionally *strange* ;^) Also sometimes... #vtqna
- viennateng: @Eridanus ...exceedingly polite/sincere re: me. Critical/sarcastic is OK, no really! But grateful for such thoughtful listeners. #vtqna
- JohnnyNaked: @viennateng You may want to be careful what you ask for! (So says the one who curbs his sarcastic tongue way too much in his old age.)#vtqna 1 minute ago from web

- reirei86: @viennateng Do you publish majority of the songs you write or do you keep a lot private? #vtqna
- viennateng: @reirei86 Any song that gets finished usually sees the light of day. Sometimes I keep private ones that aren't really written for... #vtqna
- viennateng: @reirei86 ...strangers to listen to (too many inside references in lyrics to be accessible, or attempts @ new style that aren't good) #vtqna

- invokeuse: @viennateng When picking songs for an album, which is more important: a song's individual strength or how well it plays with the others? #vtqna
- viennateng: @invokeuse Song inclusion on album depends on a) quality & b) whether similar one is already on/out there. Art not science though. #vtqna
- viennateng: @invokeuse Grandmother Song was tough call for Inland Territory; unlike rest of album but we really wanted it on & not as bonus track #vtqna
- invokeuse: @viennateng Glad Grandmother Song is on IT, though, the "good boys in grad school" line always gives me a giggle #vtqna

- BahamCrackers: @viennateng Do you ever listen to your own music for enjoyment or is that too weird? Do you have a favorite song of yours? #vtqna
- viennateng: @BahamCrackers I'm often in the awkward position of not liking my own music for listening (genre/sound in general). Tried creating... #vtqna
- viennateng: @BahamCrackers ...my own station on Pandora recently and much preferred Andrew Bird Radio & Jesca Hoop Radio. #vtqna

- kalenabear: @viennateng Since you mentioned it, I took your recomm. on fb and saw Spring Standards @ the Levitt Pavilion, CA. AMAZING! so, thx! #vtqna
- viennateng: @kalenabear Yay! So glad you got to see @springstandards. They're about the nicest people ever too; always cool when amazing performers are.

- smallred9t7: @viennateng Who is the original artist on The Olive Tree? #vtqna
- viennateng: @smallred9t7 Not sure who originally performed The Olive Tree, but Qi Yu's version is most famous I think. #vtqna
- dslnyc: @viennateng CHYI YU was the original singer of oliver trees. She is the most sophisticated Chinese singer.

- FredLI: @viennateng Do you have a favorite venue type as performer or as audience member? Theater, sit-down club, ballroom, outdoor, etc? #vtqna
- FredLI: @viennateng Concur w/Eridanus on forum. Good folks. #vtqna
- viennateng: @FredLI Favorite venue...tough call! Bowery Ballroom, Rockwood in NYC have great energy. Many cozy listening rooms all over that... #vtqna
- viennateng: @FredLI ...make you feel totally connected to performer/audience. Altes Pfandhaus in Köln Germany is unique http://bit.ly/MOfDt #vtqna
- viennateng: @FredLI Oh, and @Cayamo! An entire ship of raptly attentive crowds for great music. Sometimes solid-ground festivals are magic too. #vtqna

- recessional: @viennateng of all your songs, which lyrics are you most proud of? (asking again, because I forgot the hashtag last time. oops. :D) #vtqna
- viennateng: @recessional Most pleased with...Recessional, actually. Hee. In Another Life, Passage & a fair # on Dreaming are up there too. #vtqna

- gulliverbear: @viennateng I love the new album! I was wondering about 'Watershed'... what inspired that song? #vtqna
- gulliverbear: @viennateng Also that would be AWESOME if you came to St Louis! #vtqna
- viennateng: @gulliverbear Watershed inspiration: jamming w/delay pedal & Nord Electro + read Jared Diamond's _Collapse_ + heard Björk's Oceania #vtqna

- FredLI: @viennateng Is there buzz in the industry about the 2010 Lilith Fair? Are you interested? #vtqna
- viennateng: @FredLI Would LOVE to play next year's Lilith Fair. I may build altars to the gods of festival booking to help make that happen... #vtqna

- roofboy179: @viennateng Are we ever gonna hear "House", which I think was cut off the new album. Unless i'm horribly mistaken #vtqna
- viennateng: @roofboy179 House & The Olive Tree will get released eventually. We do like 'em, didn't want to make a 14-song album is all... #vtqna

- disarming: @viennateng LAist interview piqued my interest - what became of the songs with the really emo titles? What's one you could recycle & redeem?
- disarming: @viennateng Also would love if you shared more titles - as it's comforting I wasn't alone in writing emo poetry all over my Trapper Keeper
- viennateng: @disarming There was one called Farewell To the Unknown Soldier that wasn't *too* bad. Might make it a b-side of b-sides one day... #vtqna
- viennateng: @disarming Some of the more egregious included "it's me. but you wouldn't know that." and "Sorrow's Melody" #vtqna

- chirrio23: No room for an LA show in the fall? #vtqna
- viennateng: @chirrio23 We're looking to open for/share w/someone for our next LA show. Routing didn't work for this fall, but next spring! #vtqna

- _flynn: @viennateng How many folks at the cafe have figured out what you're doing? #vtqna
- viennateng: @_flynn There's been live music up here for the past hour, and I've sadly become one of those jerks on her laptop at a performance... #vtqna
- _flynn: @viennateng Oh no! :) Hope the music is good, at least. #vtqna

- _flynn: Informal poll: how many people watching #vtqna are in fact listening to @viennateng? @reply me if you'd be so kind. ;) 3 minutes ago from TwitterFon
- kalenabear: @_flynn not listening atm but listen every morning on the way to work btwn the 4 albums. Shame that my commute is only 15 mins ;) #vtqna
- trialia: @_flynn lol, was singing Love Turns 40 actually, but watching early Stargate: SG-1 so not listening. too busy logging #vtqna to a text file!

- kalenabear: @viennateng Silly/stupid ?: Ever consider doing smthg as tongue'ncheek as http://bit.ly/W19px [w/ Alex]? :P #vtqna 1 minute ago from web
- viennateng: @kalenabear I SO want to be in a spoof music video! My sister thinks @highceilings & I should cover I'm On A Boat for next Cayamo. #vtqna
- viennateng: @kalenabear I've also always wanted to write a song & make a video for an über-pop song in which I attempt & utterly fail to be sexy. #vtqna
- kalenabear: @viennateng "I'm On A Boat" at Cayamo?! lol. Genius. ;) #vtqna
- annaybunny: @viennateng I would die if you covered I'm On A Boat. Hee. #vtqna
- viennateng: @annaybunny @kalenabear Bet we could rope Brandi Carlile & Katie Herzig's bands into I'm On A Boat too. ;^) #vtqna

- viennateng: Uh oh falling behind in the #vtqna stream. I was keeping pace so well for a while there!

- OSMOSExINVERSEE: @viennateng Will you do a tour Canada? #vtqna
- OSMOSExINVERSEE: @viennateng will you come to canada? #vtqna
- OSMOSExINVERSEE: @viennateng will you come to canada? the fans in winnipeg would love to see you perform! #vtqna
- viennateng: @OSMOSExINVERSEE RT Playing in Canada is often tricky to justify financially (1-2 shows for steep immigration/work permit fees) #vtqna
- viennateng: @OSMOSExINVERSEE RT But if we tour w/Canadian artist (e.g. Sarah Harmer, Kathleen Edwards) that would be a great way to get there #vtqna
- OSMOSExINVERSEE: @viennateng aww thats to bad =[ us fans in winnipeg would love to her you sing! =D #vtqna

- roofboy179: Taking over the copy-paste-Word documentation of VT's Q&A #vtqna

- thinkshrink: @viennateng InlandTerritoria -cannot get enough of it. Antebellum? War Protest Song?#vtqna
- viennateng: @thinkshrink Antebellum (& much of Inland Territory) came from thinking about parallels between personal relationships & politics... #vtqna
- viennateng: @thinkshrink ...seems like the struggle of human beings trying to living w/each other is hauntingly similar no matter what the scale. #vtqna
- thinkshrink: vienna teng #vtqna My Fall Concert schedule in Mpls/SP is beyond belief. Sept-Brandi, Oct -You at The Cedars, and Nov RayLaMontagne.

- dslnyc: @viennateng Where are you going to base in coming years?
- viennateng: @dslnyc Don't know where I'll be based, though staying in NYC would be great. Maybe LA, maybe Chicago/Ann Arbor, maybe abroad... #vtqna

- CharlieWaters: @vienna Gotta sleep, it's 4.42 in London, but thanks for the #vtqna - and (cheesy abba moment) thank you for the music!

- thinkshrink: ViennaTeng-Each song on Inland is so unique & incredibly complex. The variations are staggering.#vtqna

- DanielPLawson: @viennateng How much of "Recessional" is biographic? I often wonder. It's my favourite of yours; I relate to it like no other song. #vtqna
- viennateng: @DanielPLawson Recessional is fictional, but draws on personal events for mood & certain details. Like most of my songs, actually. #vtqna

- CharlieWaters: @viennateng Gotta sleep, it's 4:52 in London, but thanks for the #vtqna - and (cheesy Abba moment) thank you for the music!

- _flynn: @viennateng OK, on to the important stuff. What's your grandmother think of Grandmother Song, and what's your favorite drink? #vtqna

- thinkshrink: ViennaTeng #vtqna I has been so helpful that you twittered while on tour and while recording Inland. It gave us so much more insight.

- nowhereguy: @viennateng fav on IT is Augustine - recall you saying it struggled to the surface. What holds a song back? Any struggling right now? #vtqna
- viennateng: @nowhereguy Most songs struggle in the writing process...Augustine just took longer than most (3 yrs). All are struggling right now! #vtqna

- roofboy179: @viennateng In addition to @_flynn 's question; You're in a coffeehouse, i think. What are you/were you/will you be drinking? ;D #vtqna
- _flynn: .@roofboy179 Good thing we're not in Amsterdam or the cafe/coffeehouse distinction would be important. #vtqna
- viennateng: @roofboy179 Lavender chamomile tea. Mmm. :^)

- thinkshrink: ViennaTeng #vtqna Will you be on Cayomo 3?
- viennateng: @thinkshrink Yes, we'll be on Cayamo 3 for sure! http://www.cayamo.com/Artists/

- Jenster: @viennateng i really hope your music and YOU will come to Hong Kong some day soon!
- viennateng: @jenster Hope I get to come to Hong Kong too! Still searching for a good way to tour in Asia...working on it... #vtqna

- thinkshrink: ViennaTeng #vtqna Do you consider NYC to be your 'home" or is it still San Francisco?
- viennateng: @thinkshrink Home = strange concept these days. I guess SF is "where I'm from" (roots), NYC is "where I'm based" (state of mind now) #vtqna

- _flynn: @viennateng Thanks, Vienna, gotta run here -- and thanks, too, to everyoe else chiming in for making it more entertaining! #vtqna

- thinkshrink: ViennaTeng #vtqna I think I listened to an interview you did abt that. Not parallel universes- as in Mark Oliver Everett.s father (ELLS) ???

- reirei86: @viennateng How often do you get to go home during the year? Do you ever get homesick? #vtqna
- viennateng: @reirei86 I don't get homesick because I...have no home, at the moment. I do get wistful for things like gardening & a closet though. #vtqna

- thinkshrink: ViennaTeng #vtqna I think you first introduced me to the term Chamber Folk? I started early with French Horn, then could not let go of Folk

- viennateng: Thanks everyone! That was great fun. Will have to do it again, maybe on a night off on tour this fall :^) Off to find food...g'night! #vtqna
Last edited by Kalenabear on Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:56 am

Kalenabear wrote:Hey, I've more or less grouped the questions and answers together, if not categorized them by topic...because i'm a bit crazy, hahaa. We greatly greatly appreciate Trialia and Roofboy's transcripts-- you two are awesome! Just thought this would make it a little easier to follow the conversation (yay, teamwork!). I'm sure there are still some stray questions and answers, though.

Awesome of you to do this. Hadn't even occurred to me to do that. I was basically copy-pasting into a word file. The tweets were coming in really quickly. Thanks for making it easier to follow x)

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:34 pm

Kalenabear wrote:Hey, I've more or less grouped the questions and answers together, if not categorized them by topic...because i'm a bit crazy, hahaa. We greatly greatly appreciate Trialia and Roofboy's transcripts-- you two are awesome! Just thought this would make it a little easier to follow the conversation (yay, teamwork!).
[..]
Could somebody please put this on a separate window/page? I don't have a webhost...and I'm very computer-illiterate, hee. Thanks in advance!

It's done here.
Maybe some other VT forumites could mirror the QnA too - it's nearly a year I changed to a new Internet Service Provider but I still can access to my blog website stored in my old ISP...., so I don't know how long this link will last ... and I still have to figure out how the new ISP stuffs works...so, blablabla long story short, make backup or do some mirror for archives purposes and sharing ;) !!!

EDIT : here are the reverse pagination of QnA - Vienna Teng Twitter
Intro in the mid of page 1 with the bottom to top twitter reading way ...
p1 : http://twitter.com/viennateng?max_id=3339811317&page=5
p2 : http://twitter.com/viennateng?max_id=3339811317&page=4
p3 : http://twitter.com/viennateng?max_id=3339811317&page=3
p4 : http://twitter.com/viennateng?max_id=3339811317&page=2
p5 : http://twitter.com/viennateng?max_id=3339811317&page=1
Conclusion in page 5
Last edited by Walking Stranger on Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
♡ Internet/Drugs/Seeds. Copy=Right. ACTA harms freedom. Stop ACTA!Please copy and share. Say NO to ACTA.

Trialia
Cool Stranger

Postby Trialia » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:26 pm

Nicely done, the lot of you :) It was a frenzy actually getting it all down as it was being tweeted, so I was mainly following the #vtqna hashtag and missed some stuff that wasn't using it.

I'd be happy to mirror the final re-arranged file if anyone wants me to - got plenty of space and bandwidth for it, goodness knows.
and breathe my breath
just to share the air
that I have known
and to learn
who it is that you see
in silence

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:59 pm

Trialia wrote:Nicely done, the lot of you :)
[...]
I'd be happy to mirror the final re-arranged file if anyone wants me to - got plenty of space and bandwidth for it, goodness knows.

The light is green ... from my side, I've removed only "1 minute ago from web" + "3 minutes ago from TwitterFon" from Kalenabear's version here and added VT's RT to "cheesy abba moment".
Last edited by Walking Stranger on Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
♡ Internet/Drugs/Seeds. Copy=Right. ACTA harms freedom. Stop ACTA!Please copy and share. Say NO to ACTA.

Kalenabear
Warm Stranger

Postby Kalenabear » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:11 am

roofboy179 wrote: Awesome of you to do this. Thanks for making it easier to follow x)

No problem. It took me back to the college days when I had to transcribe all my journalism notes in one night. My eyes were like @_@ about half-way through, but it was just easier for me to read since I had to go back and reference the questions with VT's answers, anyway.

roofboy179 wrote:
Hadn't even occurred to me to do that. I was basically copy-pasting into a word file. The tweets were coming in really quickly.

Ah, yes. But, the messiness of a chatroom is usually half the fun! :)

Return to “The Cafe”