Newsday interview

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Fred
Tengster

Newsday interview

Postby Fred » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:16 am

I was waiting for my car to get serviced this morning and picked up a copy of today's Long Island Newsday (oops, I'm outed) newspaper in the waiting room. The weekend entertainment section had a full page spread (!) on Vienna's upcoming Westhampton Beach show, with a page-height color publicity photo (one of the standard ones) and an interview. The interviewer was clueless and superficial ("critics say she's new and promising...but maybe too precious"; ex-Cisco engineer chucks it all for music; grandmother wants her to go to grad school and find a man; yada yada yada), but the picture and the size of the spread ought to be great publicity. Possibly this is on the Newsday web site too; I haven't looked.

Now I looked. It's here, sans photo.

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:32 am

This makes me smile :) I suppose she gets bigger coverage in New York/San Francisco than most other places, due to her residence/old residence. I've been trying to spread the word of Vienna, and though I've reached her music to a few friends (all of whom are now loyal fans), i think it just seems like im obsessed with her.

And i'm not.

Im just obsessed with her music ;)

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:32 pm

roofboy179 wrote:This makes me smile :) I suppose she gets bigger coverage in New York/San Francisco than most other places, due to her residence/old residence.

Vienna doesn't actually get much media attention in NY; that's why the Newsday piece struck me so. The scene here is enormous; it's hard for an artist to stand out. Not just among the locals; everybody, from everywhere, tours here. The flip side is that there are a zillion little venues and lots of work, even for the ones that don't get a mini-review in the Times' Arts and Leisure section when they have an upcoming show. Vienna's management seems up to speed on that.

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:06 am

Fred wrote:
roofboy179 wrote:This makes me smile :) I suppose she gets bigger coverage in New York/San Francisco than most other places, due to her residence/old residence.

The scene here is enormous; it's hard for an artist to stand out.

Good point. Well glad to hear some coverage :)

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:43 am

roofboy179 wrote:
Fred wrote:

The scene here is enormous; it's hard for an artist to stand out.

Good point. Well glad to hear some coverage :)

Clarifying that thought a bit, in NYC local indie acts tend to get drowned out by the major-label mega-stars (whether local or visiting), when it comes to TV and newspaper coverage of upcoming shows. And since there are mega-stars, usually multiple, appearing every week, you see the problem. The New York indie scene, itself, is huge, but most bands and singer-songwriters don't get noticed by the mainstream media. Better coverage is on the blogs, such as Brooklynvegan (especially) and Gothamist. The truly hip (among whom I do not count myself!) know where to find them. Breakthroughs by NY indie bands to mainstream notice in the last year include Vampire Weekend (whom I love) and Grizzly Bear (who strike me as warmed-over Fleet Foxes).

Return to “The Cafe”