Tweets

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Fred
Tengster

Tweets

Postby Fred » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:03 pm

Did anybody else get a chuckle from Vienna's tweet where she formally quit tweeting in the third person? Most twitterers never paid much attention to that piece of etiquette, but it's endearing that Vienna did, and then, when she decided that it was a bad idea, she felt the need to say so, rather than just have us think she was getting sloppy (as if!). BTW I agree, third person tweets seem excessively egocentric, and often force silly constructions. :lol:

Reileen
Total Teng-Head

Postby Reileen » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:13 am

Pfft! I tweet in the 3rd person!

...but then again I can get egocentric at times. :oops:

I don't always do it though. Depends on the kind of tweet.
"You've made us swear our souls to you
And blamed us for your poisoned grace."

Reileen van Kaile
http://www.voxgraphicastudio.com

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:26 am

I once heard referring to yourself in third person makes you sound more professional.

Then again, thats probably while writing summaries of your CDs, to make it sound as if someone else were doing it for you. Obviously nobody but Vienna is tweeting for her.

I do rather enjoy her new tweets. They seem more personal in a way.

rahau
Even Stranger

Re: Tweets

Postby rahau » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:16 am

Fred wrote:Did anybody else get a chuckle from Vienna's tweet where she formally quit tweeting in the third person?

@rahau thought it was quite amusing. :wink:

Kalenabear
Warm Stranger

Postby Kalenabear » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:45 am

Why does Vienna's twitter profile list her as based in Los Angeles, CA? Did it used to say Brooklyn, NY or San Francisco, CA??

Or, am I just getting excited and ahead of myself? Hehehe... Here's to hoping she can play here more often! :)

shawn
Hot Stranger

Postby shawn » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:52 pm

Kalenabear wrote:Why does Vienna's twitter profile list her as based in Los Angeles, CA? Did it used to say Brooklyn, NY or San Francisco, CA??

Actually, for a while it had Tehran, Iran as her location. Is it a Twitter bug, or could there be a reason why VT would deliberately select wherever the current hot spot for tweets is at the moment?

Reileen
Total Teng-Head

Postby Reileen » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:20 pm

shawn wrote:
Kalenabear wrote:Why does Vienna's twitter profile list her as based in Los Angeles, CA? Did it used to say Brooklyn, NY or San Francisco, CA??

Actually, for a while it had Tehran, Iran as her location. Is it a Twitter bug, or could there be a reason why VT would deliberately select wherever the current hot spot for tweets is at the moment?

It had to do with the stuff going on in Iran - the Iranian government were starting to track down dissidents by singling out tweets that came from within the country. People all over the world changed their location to Tehran in order to clog up the location search that the government officials would be doing.

That's how I understand things, at least.
"You've made us swear our souls to you
And blamed us for your poisoned grace."

Reileen van Kaile

http://www.voxgraphicastudio.com

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:24 am

Or, am I just getting excited and ahead of myself? Hehehe... Here's to hoping she can play here more often! :)

Presumably she could land almost anywhere after she finishes touring, since she's technically homeless at the moment. Or, like Dylan, she could have an officially never-ending tour (but he's got to have a house or two somewhere, one assumes). She certainly has said nice things about LA on any number of occasions. Interesting to have a career where you can live anywhere you want, whenever. (Heck, she could live in Germany and be assured of a very steady audience.) One more reason for me to try to see her in NY one more time this summer, 'cause you never know.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:46 am

Presumably she could land almost anywhere after she finishes touring, since she's technically homeless at the moment.

Well I remember Vienna hinting about possibly moving back to the west coast, Los Angeles, to be exact. It was either in a twitter post or the scrapbook, or an interview I read. Being so far from family has to be tough and their are still lots of musicians and music in L.A. Plus she could maybe hook up with a movie studio and do a soundtrack. Wouldn't that be cool to see a movie and when the credits roll up there is Vienna's name in big letters. Makes you appreciate the musical soundtrack that much more.
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:45 am

Ang Mo wrote:Well I remember Vienna hinting about possibly moving back to the west coast, Los Angeles, to be exact.

Me, too.
Ang Mo wrote:...and their are still lots of musicians and music in L.A.

Yep, very active scene. Not Brooklyn by any stretch of the imagination, though. Brooklyn ROCKS. The epicenter of indie music. Seattle eat your heart out. (Can you tell I work in Bklyn and am a big booster?)
Ang Mo wrote:Plus she could maybe hook up with a movie studio and do a soundtrack. Wouldn't that be cool to see a movie and when the credits roll up there is Vienna's name in big letters. Makes you appreciate the musical soundtrack that much more.

Yep. I'm a soundtrack junkie. I use my ears as much as my eyes when watching a film. (Nudges wife: "Psst. Isn't that Danny Elfman?" "Shh. You're bothering the rest of the audience.") The ultimate accolade would be to get her music used by Jonathan Demme. Nobody uses music in movies better than he does.
Last edited by Fred on Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kalenabear
Warm Stranger

Postby Kalenabear » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:40 am

Ah, I see. I hope Vienna's doing okay. Didn't know that she is currently homeless :( (until I read Fred's Newsday post. Thanks for that, Fred!). Of course, like you guys said, the plus side is that she gets the awesome experience of globe-trotting and crashing wherever she can. This job doesn't anchor her to one specific location. LA is great, but yeah, NY definitely blows us out of the water, too, in terms of an indie music scene. You guys seem more low-key; we're admittedly more flashy here 8).

I've always called myself a Bohemian at heart and wanted to help musicians who perform for the sake of music and art. The ones who haven't conventionally "made it" but are ridiculously good and under-rated. I wish we could do something like what they do in Italy, with their Home Food network (http://www.unabellavista.com/homefoodinitaly.html). How this chain of women offers their home to travelers so they can eat authentic home cooked meals....To create multiple sites for troubadours to stay, just to lend a hand to their passions. :)

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:31 pm

Kalenabear wrote:Ah, I see. I hope Vienna's doing okay. Didn't know that she is currently homeless :( (until I read Fred's Newsday post. Thanks for that, Fred!). Of course, like you guys said, the plus side is that she gets the awesome experience of globe-trotting and crashing wherever she can. This job doesn't anchor her to one specific location.

I think this tour is much longer and more extensive than her previous ones, no? NYC rents are high, even now, and presumably even in Bushwick (which has become the new hip hotspot now that the yuppies have followed the hipster trail as far as Williamsburg and probably priced the actual bohemians out of the market there--a never-ending NYC story). I wouldn't want to pay them if I were never there, either.
Kalenabear wrote:LA is great, but yeah, NY definitely blows us out of the water, too, in terms of an indie music scene. You guys seem more low-key; we're admittedly more flashy here 8).

But Vienna's music has more LA than NYC in it, imho. (Maybe not so strongly in the last 2 albums, tho.) It is impossible to imagine
the optimistic New Age spirituality of Soon Love Soon, for instance, coming from a New Yorker.
Kalenabear wrote:I've always called myself a Bohemian at heart and wanted to help musicians who perform for the sake of music and art. The ones who haven't conventionally "made it" but are ridiculously good and under-rated.

Vienna likes to make fun of her "rock star" status. Well, she's a pretty big star compared to others I follow, such as Richard Shindell (best folk songwriter out there, imho, but with a tiny audience) or The Kennedys. I fanned Marshall Crenshaw on Facebook the other day and I was below 200 in his list. The world is full of great musicians with small followings, and lousy musicians with huge followings. Go figure.

roofboy179
Total Teng-Head

Postby roofboy179 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:04 am

I thought this was interesting. Vienna Teng twitter stats are awesome :wink:

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:09 am

Cute. Confirms my impression that Vienna is nocturnal, even allowing for time zone differences. I frequently sleep thru the middle of the night tweets & find them on my phone in the morning. If I were a musician instead of a regular working slob, I'd probably be nocturnal too.

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:17 pm

Fred wrote:Did anybody else get a chuckle from Vienna's tweet where she formally quit tweeting in the third person?

Apparently she deleted that post after around this Sunday 16th August and here is the first post she personalizes in her twittering on Jun 24th
Ang Mo wrote:Well I remember Vienna hinting about possibly moving back to the west coast, Los Angeles, to be exact. It was either in a twitter post or the scrapbook, or an interview I read.

It's in her twittering on Oct 1st, 2008 and Feb 23rd too.
♡ Internet/Drugs/Seeds. Copy=Right. ACTA harms freedom. Stop ACTA!Please copy and share. Say NO to ACTA.

Return to “The Cafe”