Jared Diamond?

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

Elmira
Warm Stranger

Jared Diamond?

Postby Elmira » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:10 pm

I know that in the booklet, "Watershed" is dedicated to him. From the Wikipedia article, I can see he writes scientific books, is a skeptic, and is a professor at UCLA. He appears to be an intellectual human.

Someone at songmeanings.net says "Watershed" is from the viewpoint of an angry god, but Vienna wouldn't be the time to mockingly dedicate a song to a "scientific bore who wants to take God out of everything by teaching Evolution" (not a real quote), would she?
I believe in airplanes.

tanthalas
Tengster

Postby tanthalas » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:31 pm

Vienna actually talked about this in her shows. Jared Diamond is the author of Guns, Germs, and Steel - a book which examines the rise and surprisingly quick fall of different societies in human history. I don't know if it's the book or Vienna who does it, but a lot of parallels can be drawn from the way those societies grew and flourished with some certain modern societies today.

Watershed is sort of a song that came out of that idea - sort of a warning against modern man's hubris.

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:47 pm

Academic social scientists tend to heap the same scorn on Diamond as academics generally do on other popularizers. I'm not sure if that tells you more about him or his critics. His ideas on the rise and fall of civilizations are interesting and provocative, anyway.

Return to “The Cafe”