Flu Prevention Tips

Chat and sip. Beret optional.

Moderator: Ginny

rahau
Even Stranger

Flu Prevention Tips

Postby rahau » Tue May 26, 2009 8:14 am

Okay, so we all know how washing our hands will help prevent spreading the flu ...

A few weeks ago, NPR ran a spot about this. They said we should wash our hands for at least twenty seconds. As a guide, the reporter cited the elementary school rule of washing our hands to the Alphabet Song. You know, singing the alphabet to "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - A-B-C-D-E-F-G ..."

But the NPR reporter admitted as much ... the "Alphabet Song" isn't really hip enough for most adults. After consulting with the NPR staff, the reporter suggested the following songs for proper twenty second hand-washing:

1. The first two choruses of Ray Charles' "Hit The Road, Jack."

2. The first sixteen bars of Eric Clapton's guitar solo on "Layla."

3. The A Capella section of "Bohemian Rhapsody." Galileo Galileo ...

Being a card-carrying Teng-Head, I have my own suggestion. Every time I wash my hands, I sing out loud:

Take it from your Grandmother
I've been around
I've been around
I've been around
Yeah, take it from your Grandmother,
I've been around ...

So far, I'm still flu-free ... :)

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Tue May 26, 2009 2:14 pm

My post could be considered off topic here but I could not resist to copy-paste a comment I've done already somewhere on the net :

"I saw a woman journalist on some French TV news who ended her sequence by saying something like swine flu is causing damage but there is another kind of damage done on a greater scale : the current crisis we are living in, which is causing a lot more damage than the swine flu...
Is it an ellipse to say that most media turns the volume down about the crisis (go-to-sleep thing) and thus the nearly silence about any trial of those well paid irresponsible so-called chiefs and turn the volume high up there when it comes to some flu - currently swine flu after crazy cow and bird flu... tell me, we are still in spring time, not in Halloween aren't we ? ..."
♡ Internet/Drugs/Seeds. Copy=Right. ACTA harms freedom. Stop ACTA!Please copy and share. Say NO to ACTA.

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:23 am

Also avoiding swine at all cost. If you see a pig with a hacking cough than I suggest you stay away from it. If you see a group of pigs playing cards and one of those pigs are cheating at it, than paint a picture and call it "Pig cheating at cards", it will be best seller...........

Washing hands will also prevent you from getting ecoli, etc. It should be something done all the time. Pilot washed his hands to absolve himself from guilt.

Anyhow, its time for everyone to wash up. Bring your own soap.........
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Steve
Hot Stranger

Postby Steve » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:48 pm

But there are some advantages to the whole thing. At the height of the scare I bought airline tickets for a September visit to Mexico City. The price was great - just over half what I paid last year!

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:45 am

Have you ever been to San Miguel, Steve? Here are a couple of pictures

and

Oh and while we are at it, one of my ideas of the month was to have Vienna do an album cover picture in front of this scene in Mexico. A church buried in Lava.
Maybe have her and Alex in front and maybe Mr. Cheng in a wetsuit crawling up out of the rocks to give the Pope a "WTH" moment as he looks at the photo. But that idea was when I was hitting the diet coke pretty hard. As a water drinker, I have mellowed.

Have you been to any of these places Steve?
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Steve
Hot Stranger

Postby Steve » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:15 pm

We planned to stop by San Miguel de Allende (in your first photo - the second's in Spain!) last year, but spent an extra day in Guanajuato, instead. I have good friends who live just north of Mexico City and we tend to make our trips within a few hours of their home. I'd just as soon just walk around their town and skip the trips, as there's so much life (and good food!) in the streets 24/7 compared to around here. Plus, they don't have a lot of money, so I hate having them feel they need to entertain me. And the way Irma cooks, there's no need to go out for the best Mexican food! (But no diet coke...)

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:21 am

We planned to stop by San Miguel de Allende (in your first photo - the second's in Spain!)

the one in Spain looks more relaxing, but the town I really meant was Puerto Miguel. I tried to find it on the internet, a picture that is, but I did not seem to have success. I wonder if it is fictional. I got the names and the Church buried in Lava from the movie, "Garden of Evil". I found that the Church is not a movie prop, but maybe the village of Puerto Miguel does not exist or the name was changed. It was on the ocean. Very pretty. That is why I thought the second picture was more correct than the first. I was wrong with both LoL!!! Only a few thousand miles off with the one from Spain.

Anyhow I love the idea of that 5th album cover, Vienna in front of that Church with Alex, with Mr. Cheng in a wetsuit with a cello strapped to his back instead of airtanks climbing up out of the lava. That would be very weird. I like it!

Return to “The Cafe”