micro
Hot Stranger

Jazzdimensions interview

Postby micro » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:57 am

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:40 pm

Thanks micro for this review !
♡ Internet/Drugs/Seeds. Copy=Right. ACTA harms freedom. Stop ACTA!Please copy and share. Say NO to ACTA.

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:12 pm

It's interesting; Vienna has a very clear-eyed, objective view of her creative process. She sees the influence of classical music on her more complex song structures, probably even those that don't necessarily "sound" classical (Radio, for instance). She also sees how her voice dictates her content, to some extent. She says her songs are introspective rather than raw at least in part because that's what works with her voice. (Imagine if her lyrics were like those of Amy Winehouse, Joan Osborne, or Lucinda Williams, for instance. Wouldn't work.) She's just so darned intelligent.

Thanks for posting this.

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:03 pm

Good interview (although there were a few errors.... "Recently Vienna Teng published her second album, "Inland Territory" , which has landed on solid pop-ground.", for one). Thanks for sharing the link. Is that a German site?

I also can't help but wonder how long she will remain "the Cisco software engineer who gave up her lucrative career to pursue music"? (that's not a direct quote from this article, but you get the idea) I guess she may never be able to put that behind her. And there are certainly worse things to have to live with, I guess.
Chris

Walking Stranger
Getting Stranger

Postby Walking Stranger » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:04 pm

cmooreNC wrote:I also can't help but wonder how long she will remain "the Cisco software engineer who gave up her lucrative career to pursue music"? (that's not a direct quote from this article, but you get the idea) I guess she may never be able to put that behind her. And there are certainly worse things to have to live with, I guess.

OK, here is something for joke, nothing serious, nothing harmful, something to read that could make you laugh or smile.
Just imagine that it is not a review but a kind of story telling about a life, imagine that in another life, in a fantasy world, there would be a mysterious author writing about a story about a mythological character and who would depict her as follow :

"Once upon a time, dear ageless readers, there was a goddess from way up there who decided to enter into the world theater called the Earth by being born in Gaia with a female-skin-suit character and with a specific life scenario. As a child, she chose an item that later determined her whole earthly adulthood life : it was a stringed instrument. She started playing sitar and later, against the will of her own earthly family, decided to give up the star-wars-uniformity-mould uniform so as to be wild, to be free to search for her own quest of meaning of life. Feeling the sufferings of people around her, she gave darshan sessions for people who were looking for joy, compassion, love, hope. She gave no promise of healing the ill nor making people win lottery, instead she just played with her followers and wherever she played, people were like breathing another kind of air, something relieving from way up there that one could not put into words. And when she did not play, this goddess just enjoyed creating music, liked cooking for her family and friends, did the washing-up and threw garbage in respect of the nature law."

[EDIT : last sentence]
Last edited by Walking Stranger on Fri May 01, 2009 12:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
♡ Internet/Drugs/Seeds. Copy=Right. ACTA harms freedom. Stop ACTA!Please copy and share. Say NO to ACTA.

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:31 pm

Well, okay.... that would certainly be a bit different! :)
Chris

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:18 am

That was a great interview. Very revealing I think. However, I think Vienna has done four albums, instead of two as mentioned. If my sesame street education taught me correctly I would say Quattro albums....... :wink:
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Fri May 01, 2009 2:09 am

Ang Mo wrote:That was a great interview. Very revealing I think. However, I think Vienna has done four albums, instead of two as mentioned. If my sesame street education taught me correctly I would say Quattro albums....... :wink:

Acrtually, if you drove a car like mine, you'd say "Quattro" albums. If you simply learned bilingual counting from Sesame Street, you might say "cuatro" albums. :)

scot
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Fri May 01, 2009 1:45 pm

I stand corrected by our esteemed astronomer and Vienna Teng biographer from Hawaii! :lol: I have been led astray by Audi. But the spirit of the sesame street education was at least getting the pronunciation correct. :lol:
--the only adults who are never depressed: chuckleheads, California surfers, and fundamentalist Christians who believe they have had a personal encounter with Jesus and are saved once and for all. Would you trade your depression to become any of these?

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Mon May 04, 2009 3:13 pm

Ang Mo wrote:I have been led astray by Audi.

Actually, I'd call that effective marketing. :), but ...
But the spirit of the sesame street education was at least getting the pronunciation correct. :lol:

I will give you partial credit for your answer. :)

s
My little attempt at a Vienna Teng WWW page (Set lists, song info., and more...)

Ang Mo
Tengster

Postby Ang Mo » Tue May 05, 2009 2:26 am

I will give you partial credit for your answer.

Thanks teach!!! :lol:

How is the weather in Hawaii and wouldn't it be a spectacular time for Vienna to head down there for a concert?

cmooreNC
Tengster

Postby cmooreNC » Tue May 05, 2009 2:12 pm

Ang Mo wrote:
I will give you partial credit for your answer.

Thanks teach!!! :lol:

How is the weather in Hawaii and wouldn't it be a spectacular time for Vienna to head down there for a concert?

Actually if I read one of Scot's recent posts correctly, I think he's traveling at the moment (and will soon be catching two VT shows in the southeast). So he may not even know how the weather is "back home"! Although it's probably a safe bet to guess that it's pretty darn good, as I'm sure it usually is. :)
Chris

Aschefeder
Cool Stranger

Postby Aschefeder » Tue May 05, 2009 6:47 pm

cmooreNC wrote:Good interview (although there were a few errors.... "Recently Vienna Teng published her second album, "Inland Territory" , which has landed on solid pop-ground.", for one). Thanks for sharing the link. Is that a German site?

I also can't help but wonder how long she will remain "the Cisco software engineer who gave up her lucrative career to pursue music"? (that's not a direct quote from this article, but you get the idea) I guess she may never be able to put that behind her. And there are certainly worse things to have to live with, I guess.

Yes, it is. And I do like her background story. It's so much different from what you hear most of the time. Other music artists pretend as if their existence began with the day their career became successful, or they simply made nothing out of their life earlier but persuade naive dreams propagated by our society, no matter how incompetent or stupid they are. The difference between Vienna Teng and those artists I don't listen to already starts with the fact that she was apparently intelligent enough at least to finish her academic studies before (completely) "changing" to music. And it just fits with her basic idea of keeping a more "personal" attitude to her fans rather than pretending to be a "diva" or "goddess" (who, of course, never study something "profane" like computer engineering), making her a relative normal person.

The only thing I'm really concerned about is that her musical career might "infect" her with a virus such as "arrogance" or that it might overstrain her. I guess she wouldn't be the first musician with that kind of symptoms followed after increasing popularity, even though I basically don't assume that she belongs to those people who are very vulnerable to that.

Scot
Tengster

Postby Scot » Tue May 05, 2009 8:53 pm

Ang Mo wrote:

Chris is correct, but it was a beautiful sunny day when I left, although prior to that, I hadn't seen a blue sky more than a couple hours total over the last couple of month, it seems. But of course, that's Hilo- it always rains in Hilo, then it clears up, then it rains again, then it clears up, well you get the idea. There's a reason why it's so lush and green.

And it's always a good time for Vienna. No one bothers with the rain anyhow.
(And other parts of our island are always dry, too.)

Still miffed I see an Alaska date but no Hawaii online! ;)

s

Fred
Tengster

Postby Fred » Wed May 06, 2009 2:58 am

cmooreNC wrote:I also can't help but wonder how long she will remain "the Cisco software engineer who gave up her lucrative career to pursue music"? (that's not a direct quote from this article, but you get the idea) I guess she may never be able to put that behind her. And there are certainly worse things to have to live with, I guess.

That's one way of telling when she's firmly established. At some point, hopefully, people will be more interested in how her latest album stacks up against her old material. In the music press, Dar Williams was an "ex-Religion major from Wesleyan" for quite a while, but now, at 40 or so and 7 albums on, she's just Dar Williams the folksinger. It'll come with time.

Return to “The Cafe”